Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 1600TL Fastback Automatic from the UK!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my car is in many pieces at the moment, ATF fluid in the diff so looking at rebuilding the diff but struggling to find gaskets for it. at this point I'm not doing anything with actual box as it seems fine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is the little bugger in question, it was held in with only 3 studs as one was sheared off and a bolt held in the end with silicone!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6007222#6007222
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read through this entire thread. Your car looks fantastic and I love it but one thing bothers me. You used a urethane steering coupler. A lot of people have been warning against using these because they can fail and leave you with no steering. I'd hate to see your car wrecked so I thought I'd bring it to your attention. A stock steering coupler is not expensive so you might want to consider replacing yours. JMHO. Again, I LOVE your car! Cool
Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Just read through this entire thread. Your car looks fantastic and I love it but one thing bothers me. You used a urethane steering coupler. A lot of people have been warning against using these because they can fail and leave you with no steering. I'd hate to see your car wrecked so I thought I'd bring it to your attention. A stock steering coupler is not expensive so you might want to consider replacing yours. JMHO. Again, I LOVE your car! Cool

thanks for that, the next time I'm under there I'll get it swapped out.. I can't believe companies sell them if they are dangerous! I bought one thinking it would be an upgrade Confused

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Shutt wrote:
SBD wrote:

thanks for that, the next time I'm under there I'll get it swapped out.. I can't believe companies sell them if they are dangerous! I bought one thinking it would be an upgrade Confused
Oh, I'm sure the manufacturer would say that it's not dangerous. You're just using it incorrectly. Rolling Eyes
Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today I fitted the new front and rear screens along with new chrome inserts, it was a joy to use the new seals, so supple and gave no grief going in! also fitted a better screen whilst I was at it as the old one had lots of marks and chips in it.

the engine and transmission went back in on Saturday but I have a leak from one of the new stub axle seals so will have to redo that one :blush: luckily I can do that with just removing the CV joint and stub axle :smokin: all in all got quite a lot done over the weekend.

Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seen as though I have some paintwork on the roof to do because I removed the bee sting aerial, I thought I would sort the rear slam panel out as I was never happy with it.. it had some ripples in the metalwork and wasn't prepared very well so it's getting a bit of TLC!

all primed and on 2nd round of stopper just catch any of those small imperfections Cool when it'[s all painted up I have an "<OIL" sticker to go on and I'm also giving the dipstick/filler cap a bit of a freshen up with new gaskets and a repaint.

this is where the silly aerial used to be, I've tried to keep the repair as local as possible as I don't want to paint the whole roof!

Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all done and finished, quite a happy bunny now and the diff seems to have stopped leaking oil too! so must have just been residue and the fact I ran it with no engine breather for a while so may have blown a bit of oil past the rear main oil seal. only time will tell and for now there's no oil dripping Smile

other little jobs include fixing the clock (again) but this time I had it ticking away on the bench for a few days nicely and kept good time too Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: