Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any interest in a stock German VW crank w/chevy rod journals
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Any interest in a stock German VW crank w/chevy rod journals Reply with quote

Hello Samba-land.....

I've recently been going through the 100's of cranks I have and got an idea. I have at least 100, if not more, German stock crank cores that are either stock or can be ground to .010 on the main journals. The problem with these cranks is that there's one rod journal on each one that is worn past .040. My idea(and it's probably not an original one) is to grind these cranks to have stock chevy rod journals. So the questions is, would anyone want to buy these? Right now I am selling stock reground German cranks for $119. Since it's going to take much longer to grind the rod journals down to Chevy, I'm thinking the price should be about $169.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubnut58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to waste all those cranks. But my .2 Why would you want a smaller bearing and a higher price tag? I don't see the up side to this.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh Roy,
It's a tough call. For 175$ you can get a 69mm cw crank from Jose at DPR machine. People are getting smarter and running cw balanced internals now days. I don't build enough engines.yearly to survey , but most 69 stroke engines I build I always recommend cw and balanced. It's not much of a conversation struggle to talk a customer into a stroker build for a few more hundred anyways. My take on it. Jon

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every one of them would need to be magnafulxed before doing anything... Then the oiling passages need modification because they move so far when cutting that much off the diameter of the journal.. It could be done for sure, but its a lot of work to do it right.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could offset grind them and have an "econo" stroker crank
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
You could offset grind them and have an "econo" stroker crank
that would be my thinken but also need re balancing,and counter weights would also be helpfull.might want to see if dpr wants them& get them out of your way. I have some good std oe cranks that I will probably never use, 1 has been balanced,but got a stroker instead and it never got used.(my first vw motor oh so many moons ago)thus I have never used a vw crank in anything.(execpt for a cardbord box)
For a low rpm added cc motor they might be fine just stroked&balanced.I wonder if all the throws were driled if that would help with the flexing with out adding counter weights for mild low rpm stuff.
50ate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

econo stroker? he would want 169 for the stock crank reworked.. cant you get a CW CB stroker crank for 175-250ish for a new depending on stroke Iv never used one yet but is it safe to say that the cb cranks are decent?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wanted a lower rpm stroker for a cruiser it would be a good choice. Not everyone who builds a stroker motor are looking for 5000+ rpm performance. I'm sure there a guys looking for a bit more hill climbing torque without needed a C/W crank who this would benefit.

brad
50ate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah i see.. Im new to this motor thing and am gonna be building a 74x85.5 stroker for my bus..would this be a good crank choice?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Any interest in a stock German VW crank w/chevy rod jour Reply with quote

hi roy. we ran into that at a shop i worked at . now adays. every one is selling those cheap cast cranks . and flooding the market with them . we did not grind cranks at our shop . so we took them to a shop that did grind cranks . they wanted $125.00 to grind one crank. we said for get it . not worth it .so we sold good used vw crank when we had them or we sold a cheap new cast crank . and roy for us to ship the cranks to DPR . the shipping cost would be out of this world. so we scraped 365 vw cranks . and moved on. you might check into buying a crank welder . and weld them . but i dont think that would be worth it . just scrap them roy it would be cheaper in the long run lol lol spencerfvee
[email protected] wrote:
Hello Samba-land.....

I've recently been going through the 100's of cranks I have and got an idea. I have at least 100, if not more, German stock crank cores that are either stock or can be ground to .010 on the main journals. The problem with these cranks is that there's one rod journal on each one that is worn past .040. My idea(and it's probably not an original one) is to grind these cranks to have stock chevy rod journals. So the questions is, would anyone want to buy these? Right now I am selling stock reground German cranks for $119. Since it's going to take much longer to grind the rod journals down to Chevy, I'm thinking the price should be about $169.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta disagree with you Spence, in this day and age I wouldn't trash any original VW part if there is a chance it can be worked and saved. I'm with Mark Tucker on this (I can't believe I said that) but if it's just not economical to keep those cranks then at least contact Jose @ DPR and see if some sort of deal could be reached.

In my opinion, if it came down to a welded, ground, counterweighted, 74mm stroker crank from DPR vs. a forged piece from China, Jose would win hands down - JMHO.

Cast VW cranks......why take a step backwards. Rolling Eyes
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god you agree with mark lol and darth the sad thing was most of the cranks only needed to be ground 10 under . if we had the cranks ground at $125.00 we would have asked $190 to $200.00 for the reground cranks . buggy guys wont pay that much for a stock crank lol. not when they can buy a EMPI 69mm counter weighted forged crank for $250.00 . or a cast crank for $150.00...that was over two years ago that they scraped the cranks . i am not with them any more . and look what guys are saying to roy that $169.00 is to much to pay for a re ground crank .. guys just wont pay it darth and darth shipping cost are real hight now adays . . now every one friday the 13 is comming be carefull lol lol spencerfvee
DarthWeber wrote:
Gotta disagree with you Spence, in this day and age I wouldn't trash any original VW part if there is a chance it can be worked and saved. I'm with Mark Tucker on this (I can't believe I said that) but if it's just not economical to keep those cranks then at least contact Jose @ DPR and see if some sort of deal could be reached.

In my opinion, if it came down to a welded, ground, counterweighted, 74mm stroker crank from DPR vs. a forged piece from China, Jose would win hands down - JMHO.

Cast VW cranks......why take a step backwards. Rolling Eyes
vdubnut58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just call GEX. I bet they would buy them.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPR has these on his web page, they are listed as a 73mm stroke...
http://www.dprmachine.com/Html%20Files/cranks_type_1a.htm
Maybe he will buy them from you by the pound.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Any interest in a stock German VW crank w/chevy rod jour Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
hi roy. we ran into that at a shop i worked at . now adays. every one is selling those cheap cast cranks . and flooding the market with them . we did not grind cranks at our shop . so we took them to a shop that did grind cranks . they wanted $125.00 to grind one crank. we said for get it . not worth it .so we sold good used vw crank when we had them or we sold a cheap new cast crank . and roy for us to ship the cranks to DPR . the shipping cost would be out of this world. so we scraped 365 vw cranks . and moved on. you might check into buying a crank welder . and weld them . but i dont think that would be worth it . just scrap them roy it would be cheaper in the long run lol lol spencerfvee
[email protected] wrote:
Hello Samba-land.....

Thoughts?

That literally makes me want to cry.....almost as much as when our building got broken into about 15 years ago and they stole all the cranks, rods, cams, crank gears, timing gears, dist drive pinions, rocker shafts and lifters.....which were sold for scrap. We know because we went to every scrap yard in Milwaukee until someone finally admitted to taking all the stuff in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW people are cheap. If you can get the price down to $139 outright for a stock offset ground 71-72mm crank with Chevy rods you'll sell a bunch. For $200 I'm buying a new Chinese crank. No matter what the haters say the new Chinese cranks are plenty good enough for a 180 HP engine.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are straightened and magnafluxed and ground to give correct clearance and fit to a flywheel and balanced then it is an ok idea
That should cost about 250$ to do, market is small
Roy works for peanuts, I like peanuts too, spanish peanuts the best

Dave, WTF you ON man, sayin china cranks are good stuff? you know better
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said for $200.

To shill for Berg on this issue he'd need $600...

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
Who's going to offer a cheap set of "I" beam Chevy rods? I thought about using one of the DPR cranks for a single port build I was thinking about, but could not find a set of rods.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb has the cheep I beam as does aa&others.I think the last set of 5.5 cb were about $90. but I do like the aa rods with capscrews.(and the cb ground off the beam)
what do you mean cast dont work???hmm over 65000miles, hard zinger miles on my cast 78.8mm in my 2028.& fixen to build a budget, very low budget 82mm cast scrap motor that will probably out last me.it,s a good way to get all the still usable parts in 1 spot&make room for more new stuff!!( it will probably get a new cam&lifters,got them sitten on the shelf taken up space,cb&engle)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: