Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

59 heater channel help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
briancostello79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: 59 heater channel help Reply with quote

I bought my 59 at the end of last summer and pretty much went right into shop for some fixes so haven't driven in really warm weather much. Heat works, but want to turn off because getting warmer here in PA. I have the heater control turned all the way clockwise until it can't mover any further, but heat still coming out of front passenger side, not blasting out but still present, but nothing from driver's side. I was wondering if there was a close off that I could perform manually on the heater channels themselves? Thanks in advance for the advice.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few different heating systems for these cars. All the same basic idea. They use engine cooling air to direct air across a hot surface where it heats up and then gets pu,ped into the car.

There are 2 heater boxes. One on the left and one on the right.

The old stale air boxes which would have been on your car originally used air that was blown over the cylinders and heads and sent that into the car.

If you still have that set up, the cable pulls an arm which opens the flap to the car and closes the flap on the bottom back of the heater box. That allows the Heat (ha ha) and the stinky oily air to go into the car. You usually get more of a burnt oil smell then you do wheat with that system.

Latter they came out with the fresh air system. There were paper tubes coming off the fan shroud that went down to the heater boxes. They directed cooling air through the heater box which collected heat from the exhaust pipe of the front cylinders.

They actually made heat and didn't smell so bad (at least until the valve covers leaked oil through the seams of the heater box.

But they worked the same as far as the cable pulling a little arm which controlled the flaps.

On both systems, sometimes the cables break.

On the early stale air systems, sometimes folks would wire or screw the flaps in the winter time so the heat stayed on.

Same for the fresh air system. But they also have a problem sometimes where the arn just gets frozen and then won't close when you turn off the heat.

So you really need to climb under there and find the cabels where they come out of the frame horns. Follow them to the heater boxes and see if you can figure out what is holding the heat on.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also could be that side HE cable was adjusted just a bit too tight. Personally do that on our daily drivers in the Fall so as much heat can be delivered to the interior.

If everything is there and working, turn off the heat and climb under the VW to loosen the cable clamp, let the clamp on the cable slip backward a bit, and retighten the clamp.

Could be the DPO installed the heater cable badly and thusly unevenly, so that cable end is too far forward. If so you might need to install a new cable.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable controls the flap inside the heater box; there are rods from that flap to the rear flaps you see under the engine in the rear of the car. The flaps at the rear keep the air from the engine, which is warming the heater box up from flowing out too quickly. The rear flaps close when the front flaps open and vice versa.

See if your rear flap on the passenger side is partially closed-and then adjust the cable as above so that both are all the way open.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: