Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split. Reply with quote

You would probably be amazed to learn how many former IRS gearboxes are now swing axle. They have all the good parts inside.
The earliest swing axle gearboxes are junk compared to later ones. Also, they are geared wrong for a 1600.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split. Reply with quote

You can convert any irs transmission to swingaxle as long as it has the two side cover case. At some point in the 70's the case only had one removable side cover. To convert a two side cover irs you need the swingaxle differential, side covers, bearings, shims and axles. You have to retain the ring gear and reset the backlash and bearing preload.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split. Reply with quote

I like my $6 mount better, everything is external, nothing inside required. Fast fab looks better though.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split. Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I dont like those type of mounts for non reduction boxes. Reductions push the nose cone down where the rubber is thick. Non reductions push it up where the rubber is thin.

can you explain what you mean by this?

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split. Reply with quote

looking at the left (drivers) side of the car, when you go forward the rear wheel rotates counter-clockwise. On a Bug that means the ring gear rotates counter-clockwise. This means the pinion gear tries to climb the ring gear, or rotate clockwise around it. That is the motion the transaxle mounts have to resist when accelerating.

On a Bus you add a reduction gear to each axle. The tires are still rotating counter-clockwise when going forward but the ring gear is now turning clockwise when viewed from the left side of the Bus. That means the pinion gear is trying to move down and pushes the front of the transaxle down when accelerating.
koolerkrotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split. Reply with quote

I'm driving it now..feels fine...works great. I could see where some regular use of hole shots and drag starts would shorten it's life, but this car doesn't get that type of use ever.
Not Safari Izzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split. Reply with quote

Put the concept1 nose cone on a tunnel tranny and installed it in my 11G pan yesterday, figured I'd throw up a picture:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1952 Beetle 11G
1956 Beetle 151
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split. Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
looking at the left (drivers) side of the car, when you go forward the rear wheel rotates counter-clockwise. On a Bug that means the ring gear rotates counter-clockwise. This means the pinion gear tries to climb the ring gear, or rotate clockwise around it. That is the motion the transaxle mounts have to resist when accelerating.

On a Bus you add a reduction gear to each axle. The tires are still rotating counter-clockwise when going forward but the ring gear is now turning clockwise when viewed from the left side of the Bus. That means the pinion gear is trying to move down and pushes the front of the transaxle down when accelerating.

That's what I though. I am not sure that I buy that assertion though.

Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split. Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
EVfun wrote:

It seems as though you have never heard of Newton's third law, one of the physical laws of the mechanics of this universe. It's effects were published 250 years before the first VW was made. No VW's, or most other machines for that matter, would likely exist without at least some understanding of this law. But people still believe the world is flat. too. Laughing
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 60's gearbox to 51 split. Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
EVfun wrote:

It seems as though you have never heard of Newton's third law, one of the physical laws of the mechanics of this universe. It's effects were published 250 years before the first VW was made. No VW's, or most other machines for that matter, would likely exist without at least some understanding of this law. But people still believe the world is flat. too. Laughing

My point is, yes when you flip the ring gear the axles themselves rotate backwards so that is the first "action" which would cause the "opposite reaction" cited.

However you then add the reduction gears (a second "action") which causes the final drive stub axles to rotate forward thus cancelling out the "opposite reaction" caused by the flipped ring gear.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: