Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rabbit oil pan full of gasoline
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llovat1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Rabbit oil pan full of gasoline Reply with quote

Bought a VW Baja bug with a carburated raibbit engine and was using a towdolly. I noticed fuel leaking and it was comming from the rear part of the oil pan where the gasket meets the block. I was on the road & disconected the line from the gas tank to the pump and connected it to the carburator. A can was placed at the rear. Leak started to slowly stop. Continued towing. When I got home and drained the oil pan, 9 quarts of gas/oil mixture came out. Please tell me what you think happened or the problem. This is my first water cooled engine on a bug body using an adapter from a bus IRS Trans. Is it possible that since the forward mounted tank in the raised tow dolly position gravity drained into a defective mechanical pump with a ruptured diaphram? Any idea or help would be appreciated. Thank You, Louis
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vw fuel pumps fail like that, so buy a new fuel pump and everything will be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djdazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then how did the gas pass the pistons? Dont think the fuel pump has anything to do with it so i would recomend not buying anything and taking a closer look to your pistons
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fuel pump is mounted on the engine block it can leak into the crankcase directly.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad fuel pump

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corrado53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be from extremely rich jetting,causing bore wash and oil contamination.Could also not be firing on 1 or more cylinders, causing unburned fuel to collect in oil.And could be a leaking fuel pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: