Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karman Sutra
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
juki48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, I missed the part about no front bar. you have a rear bar don't you? pretty sure i saw it in one of your pics. a rear bar and no front is bad news. you're better off the other way around. you're car is so nice, spend the few extra dollars and get the white adjustable front bar.

74 Ghia 2276 Turbo MSII Extra
67 Beetle in restoration
Manx style buggy 1600 stock
RHough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juki48 wrote:
oh, I missed the part about no front bar. you have a rear bar don't you? pretty sure i saw it in one of your pics. a rear bar and no front is bad news. you're better off the other way around. you're car is so nice, spend the few extra dollars and get the white adjustable front bar.

The last time I checked the White site they no longer offer anti-roll bars for ACVWs. None of the usual suspect part venders had one still on the shelf when I did my car. I got the bugpack bars (not adjustable) front and rear. Have not had the car on a track yet but it is nice, tight and predictable in spirited street driving.

Cheers,
Randy
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recv'd this late last night from Mr Burkdoll:::::::::::

Harold:

I also have done also done extensive research on E85 and do understand the pros and cons in the use of the fuel.

However when it comes to policing the available fuels for the 100/130/150 mph classes for the USFRA it is a lot more complicated than it seems. For example. E85 falls in the Alternitive fuels category for almost all racing venues. Its considered a power adder. It's properties are more similar to methanol than they are to pump gas. Even by the SCTA's standards running E85 switches you from the gasoline class, to the fuel class.
So by definition of alternitive fuels if you allow one, you have to allow them all. Which includes methanol, wood gas, hydrogen gas, nitrous oxide, nitromethane, ext,ext! I have even had request to run Everclear liquor.

So fire safety is just a small piece of the pie. There is much more involved!

I would like to see the USFRA allow E85 in the future. With the increase of federal mandates, and availability of E85 or pump gas. I think a change in the future will have to occure.
juki48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's different than all those other fuels, you can fill up at the gas station on your way there...

74 Ghia 2276 Turbo MSII Extra
67 Beetle in restoration
Manx style buggy 1600 stock
d5626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need some videos!!!! Very Happy Even if you weren't happy with your performance would love to hear/see even some short clips. Ghia+Turbo/BOV+tires screaching around a track=a good video hahaha
RHough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
Recv'd this late last night from Mr Burkdoll:::::::::::

Harold:

I also have done also done extensive research on E85 and do understand the pros and cons in the use of the fuel.

However when it comes to policing the available fuels for the 100/130/150 mph classes for the USFRA it is a lot more complicated than it seems. For example. E85 falls in the Alternitive fuels category for almost all racing venues. Its considered a power adder. It's properties are more similar to methanol than they are to pump gas. Even by the SCTA's standards running E85 switches you from the gasoline class, to the fuel class.
So by definition of alternitive fuels if you allow one, you have to allow them all. Which includes methanol, wood gas, hydrogen gas, nitrous oxide, nitromethane, ext,ext! I have even had request to run Everclear liquor.

So fire safety is just a small piece of the pie. There is much more involved!

I would like to see the USFRA allow E85 in the future. With the increase of federal mandates, and availability of E85 or pump gas. I think a change in the future will have to occure.

It sounds like you are up against rules written in the leaded gas days. The timing association should be looking at ways to make E85 and Hybrid vehicles welcome. It will be good for the sport long term.

Offer to become a member of a rules committee to help make the change happen. A rule that treats nitro-methane and E85 pump fuel the same needs to be re-written and having people that have E85 experience will help make a new rule fair.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burly continues to be the man -- Just received this email from him------

Good morning Harold

I spoke with BJ last night at the USFRA meeting. I have asked BJ to consider opening up the 130/150 Club to E85 only (along with normal gasoline) for future competition and he has agreed to look at a proposal I will send him.

The three concerns he expressed to me were:

1. Any percentage of alcohol provides greater performance than straight gasoline and gives a decided advantage to the racer using alcohol. This becomes an "unfair advantage" relative to other racers "in the same class" who only run on straight gasoline. This is why the land speed racing community (SCTA/BNI/USFRA/ECTA) has separate classes for cars running on gas and separate classes for cars running on fuel (i.e., alcohol, nitro, NOX, etc.). Since a performance advantage with alcohol is acknowledged, allowing it's use means records set with a properly tuned alcohol engine will always be higher than similar cars running gasoline, thus the unfair advantage aspect.

2. If E85 is allowed to be used, then other racers will ask why can they not run pure alcohol, nitro, NOX, and others.

3. In the ten or more years E85 has been available, you are the only prospective 130/150 MPH Club racer to request an exemption to the rule. Therefore is it really necessary to open up the two "amateur" classes to E85? That being said, he can visualize other folks who might wish to run E85 in the future.

I advised him the following referencing each concern:

1. 130/150 Club top speeds are not records under any sanctioning body (USFRA/BNI/USFRA) so are not affected by one car running on gas and one on E85. The only goal of the 130/150 MPH Club concept is making it easy to introduce folks to land speed racing and recognizing the fact some cars achieve certain goals. Comparing the use of E85 versus pure gasoline to gain membership in the 130/150 Club listings would be similar to one person using a Volkswagen to gain membership and one person using a Ford Mustang V8. Obviously the Mustang has the advantage over the VW , as would E85 over gas. The only true goal of these amateur classes is making two passes within the speed windows set by the USFRA. That being said, only the VW Challenge recognizes 130/150 Club top speeds as records and our guidelines (rules) do not distinguish between gas and non-gas (fuel) cars so allowing the use of E85 "would be acceptable" for our record keeping. The VW Challenge is not a sanctioning body, just a clearing house for recording Volkswagen top speed history, which is where we distinguish top speed records by dedicated car categories. That is where the VW Challenge records come from.

2. In the near future I will draw up a proposal for BJ to present to the 130/150 MPH Club technical rules committee this fall for consideration at next years USFRA 130/150 MPH Club events to include wording to allow E85 to be used while still preventing the use of Nitro, NOX and others non gasoline based fuels. This request will be based on the fact that E85 is now a standard acceptable and common fuel for everyday production street cars, available nationwide. That, combined with the fact street/production cars are the reason for the existence of the 130/150 Club, this might encourage additional beginner participation in land speed racing (the USFRA's goal !) with everyday vehicles. With this beginner participation, the USFRA hopes folks will enjoy the land speed racing experience and later build true race cars to full competition specs and safety guidelines. This is already occurring in 36hp and VW Big Block Challenge racers with numerous cars now at or close to full competitions specifications.

3. He already recognizes that E85 is a common everyday fuel and it may become necessary to expand the 130/150 MPH Club rules to include it's acceptance for additional folks to take advantage of this starter category.

Wish me luck with this request. I will continue to keep you informed on any progress I might see.

Burly

Burly Burlile
VW 36hp & BB Challenge
[email protected]
www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge

Freelance Photo Journalist
Society of Land Speed Racing Historian (SOLSRH)
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice my torque reference marks on the CV's at the trans????? The bolt marked near the 6.75" did a little self clearancing on the tire,,, no rubbing anywhere else -- -- Found about 10 90* angles in my oil lines -- gonna clean that up......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Burly :::::::::::::::::::::

G'day Challengers

Over the next couple weeks keep a close check in your email for my update's on the upcoming World of Speed (Sept 6 thru 9) and the VW Challenge Maxx Speed Nats. Recent rains have caused concern regarding the racing surface and I will do my best to keep you aware of the status of the event. You can also "Friend" request the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association at the site below for direct updates:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Utah-Salt-Flats-Racing-Association/100630516712955

CONTACT INFO REQUEST: With just 21 days (3 weeks) till racing begins, my ability to call you in case of a delay or cancellation will be critical to minimizing both travel and hotel/motel expenses. If you are planning to attend the WOS "as a racer or spectator", please email me with the BEST phone number to reach you "on the road" (U.S. residents only!) and/or at home. In the event of cancellation, I will try to call everyone on the notification list as quickly as possible. My home phone number is 435-752 4359 and I would invite you to call me as we near our travel dates if this will work better for you.

I will be assessing weather updates to keep you abreast of any changes in the last few days. Thanx..Burly

As of today, the conditions have changed dramatically for the better as seen by the photo below:

This photo was taken by the USFRA yesterday (Saturday the 16th) at the 2 1/2 mile marker.

World of Speed celebrating 100 years of racing on the Bonneville Salt Flats begins in just 21 days. The dates are Sept 6-9 with tech inspection's beginning Sept. 5. Gate open each day at 8:00AM until close at 6:00PM. The last day of racing will close early Tuesday afternoon.

Invite your friends and family to enjoy some great racing and make 2014 the best year yet.

Gonna be fun. See you on the salt...............................

Burly

Burly Burlile
VW 36hp & BB Challenge
[email protected]
www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge

Freelance Photo Journalist
Society of Land Speed Racing Historian (SOLSRH)
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road Racing/Rally/NASA cage requirements === general good info

http://www.nasarallysport.com/rules-forms/2012-NASA-Rally-Sport-GRR-Appendix-B.pdf
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the correct bushings and installed the front 19mm sway bar

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,,,,, I've had the Ghia on Jack stands for about 2 weeks now and trying to solve a couple of issues -- over heating and turning -- When I got the car in the air and pulled the tires, found ALL the bolts holding the CV's were loose, inner and outer on both sides,,, So maybe it was a good time to pull it down and do a complete inspection -- -- Been whittling down the list of to-do items -- retorqued the CV bolts and added some ultra locktite this time (strength is just short of welding them in place LOL) -- Installed the 19mm front sway bar -- I was going to move the oil cooler to the front of the car,,, but didn't like any of the different ways of running the lines to the front (going thru the cabin vs. going under), then it was suggested trying to mount it under the trans on the fork tubes for better air,,, so going to try that as the first option -- -- might add a second cooler, going to play it by ear,,,,,,, --- --- Had one side of the engine exhaust temps running a lot hotter than the other,,, so pulled all the intake pieces off that side, thinking it was a possible intake leak,, spent a few hours sanding them all flat (they were all warped),, reinstalled them and now the other side is running hot ---- go figure LOL -- Front wheel bearings were loose on both sides, tighten up the drivers side, need to finish everything else up and get the car back on the ground so I can move the car to get to the passenger side.... While all the tires were off,,,,, string lined and measured and aligned everything,,, rear end was 1/8" off,,, not bad

I'm wanting to go to the local Yucaipa car show Friday night at 5pm,, so I need the bitch back rolling -- -- LEFT TO DO :::::: going to run the valves one more time -- need to make one hard line to finish the oil system -- repack the passenger front wheel bearings -- wash all the freaking greasy hand prints off the bastard LMAO --- Chit -- gotta run down and get some E85 too
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Bug at Atlanta

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went over to friends house to help him tune his Truggie -- This was built from the leftovers of a Tacoma that his kid rolled over -- He has a SDS system and needed someone to drive while he modified the tune -- Who was I to refuse some seat time in one of these things -- He has a decent dirt road near him that weaved in and out of some power lines for about 4 miles, which is about the right length for a nice power pull if you ask me LOL -- We went up and down this road for over 2 hours and then as we got to the far end of the road,,,, yep ran out of gas LMAO -- thank god for cell phones ,,,, a couple of calls and help was on the way ,, I really didn't want to do a 4 mile hike today LOL It was a hoot sliding this damn thing around the corners -- and talk about eating the bumps and rocks at speed,,,, 20+" of travel is cooool

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody has too much time on their hands -- or their just too f-ing smart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT3vfSQePcs
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Somebody has too much time on their hands

Yeah, You, get back to the ghia. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oct 16th is the next VW night at the Dale -- -- There will be a few there doing some tune up for Vegas and Drag Day -- might even get the Ghia onto the trailer
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Ghia to Irwindale last night for it's first pass down the quarter mile --

car 1 -- Driver 0 LOL

Track was really slick early (that's my story... sticking to it),,, ended up racing Irwindale regular Miguel in his street bug and I had my track tires on the car (basically street tires LOL) --

I launched at 3500 at the second yellow and immediately was in tire spin
[reaction time: Miguel .037 - Me .412 -- at the second yellow even -- damn]

So I'm going down the track tires spinning, bouncing off the limiter and Miguel is just freight training me,,, but I'm thinking -- This is OK -- I've got the turbo gods on my side,,, I can run him down
[60' times: Miguel 1.743 - Me 2.692]

What to do, What to do -- So I'm trying to decide if I should just short shift, pedal the damn thing or let the tires spin -- My right arm evidently makes a decision that the rest of me wasn't ready for and pulls the trans out of first gear -- God damn it -- Now,,, I can't get angry at my right arm because it has been carrying my girlfriend around for the last 60+ years,,, So I go ahead and drop into second and immediately bog -- -- Miguel is GONE -- So I'm setting there trying to get back on boost -- and thinking this is really sucking LOL
[330': Miguel 5.499 Me 7.350]

So things finally start cleaning up and I roll into 3rd gear Miguel is already through the lights (stick a fork in me, I'm done LOL) and I'm finally coming onto boost. I roll through the traps at 5000 rpm.......
[1/8: Miguel 8.729/76.18 Me 10.858/72.77]

So I'm feeling pretty good,,,, HEY, I've got the Ghia into the 10's,,,,,,, then somebody had to go and burst my bubble and say that is suppose to be for the quarter, not the eighth,,,,,,,, Well, I've got the 10 down, I've just got to figure out how to get the other eighth mile of track added into the equation LOL

So I put the car onto the trailer because I not feeling to good about the pulling the trans out of gear event and spend the rest of the evening BS'ing (took me an hour to tie the car down it was such a huge bench racing event LOL) and talking up just how slow my POS is LOL... It was all the cars fault, I nothing to do with it LOL
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
you tell a great story.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Journey deserves a good story or it wasn't worth taking LOL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 27

Jump to: