Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karman Sutra
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today the wife and I were coming back from Home Depot, and this primer Oval is making a left turn in front of us and I'm looking at it... and looking at it ... thinking could it be ???? could it be???? -----

Sure enough, there's the Ovalholio sticker on the side window -- The kid I sold it to, has it running and going down the road -- I got pretty excited to see the kid had done what he said and got it running -- It's been two years since I sold it to him, It's still primer and still has the same wheel and tires on it..... But it looked way cool going down the road --

Wife couldn't understand why I got so excited...... LMAO

Here's some pictures I took the day I took it over to his house......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,,, The EFI has been in the shop for a while and I've been staring at the car, kinda just walking by and giving it the middle finger because of the EFI screwing up again big time,,,,,, FINALLY, I get a call yesterday from the head honcho, and "they" have finally been able to duplicate all the "issues" I've been having with the unit forever --- --- HOLY CHIT,,, I'm not insane, so they are shipping me a brand new unit as a form of an apology for all my freaking banging my head against the wall trying to get this damn thing to work.....

YYYEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I've found my ambition for the car again and been out welding and cutting and fixing and cleaning up and .. .. and .. .. you get the picture...... So I've done a couple of thing of note

Also, I've made an appointment with the EFI Guru (His is a wiring harness super dude) and I'll finally be making the change to sequential on the injectors since I've had Mario's cam sync setting in tool box for a while....

So , It's about time I've gotten a happy face about this POS car I've got!!!!!!
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She wants to drive the Ghia and says she knows how to drive a stick -- -- I've got my doubts -- guess I should just keep an eye on it

Just kidding -- she hates Ghias
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So been working on the Ghia -- -- This car when I first got it had a Porsche 901 trans in it, that lasted about 30 miles, then I got a 091 from BENCO trans in Riverside CA -- This thing has been bullet proof so far, but I was broke when I first had it done and didn't have a LSD installed...... So after a few track days it was very apparent that the LSD was needed as I was frying the inside rear tire off as I left every corner --- -- So I had the LSD put in and the trans freshened up. BUT because the 091 hockey stick comes out above the tunnel, I've always had some funky linkage for the shifter... I've just welded in and above tunnel shifter and rod and got it all aligned up.........

here's where the 091 comes into the cabin,,, all the lines are for my air-to-water intercooler system

Also been meaning to change the EFI over from batch fire injectors to sequential fire -- I've been running a crank fire but never had the cam sensor on the car to be able to do it.... Found 'The Dub Shop' up in Washington and Mario has developed a cool little cam sensor that plugs into the distributor hole,,,, so been working on doing this change over

mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the new Cam Sensor installed -- What a PITA!!!!!! -- -- everything that could screw up did.... Finally went and got my Engine Guru and between the two of us we were able to get the Distributor drive in,,,, it fought us all the way... the sensor dropped right in after that -- Looks good in there now

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still working on this? Im still looking at the pic of the girl in red needing a stick shift lesson Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam sensor looks sweet - but I'm curious as to why you didn't run a toothed wheel pulley & sensor setup instead?

bnc
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a crank sensor -- BUT without the cam sensor you have to run batch fire on your injectors and plugs -- ie they fire twice every 720* ie wasted spark is a term used also

The crank sensor is set for a 360* operation -- but a 4 stroke engine runs on a 720* operation --- so a cam sensor sends out one pulse every 720* (usually within the 110* of top dead center #1 at fire) and it lets the ECU know that it's time to start the 720* series of firing all over again..

Does this make any sense -- sometime my explanations are not that good LOL
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW's YOUR WEEK GOING???????

Got this hiccup going on with the EFI in the Ghia, it starts, idles, and runs for about 30 seconds and then shuts off -- If you run it at 3K or higher it stays running -- -- so Sunday the Electromotive guru says bring it over -- -- I load the car up and drag it over to Corona, we play with everything for about 4 hours and can't find the answer - -- - He thinks it could be a electrical or tuning issue -- DUH -- -- So I decide to take it home and tear apart the electrical -- -- On the way home in the rain, I driving in the rain and I must of gone thru where a dump truck has dumped a load of pea gravel on the freeway -- rocks are going everywhere from the cars hauling ass -- I slow down and don't catch any on my Flex,,, cool ... Get home put the Ghia in the garage, and put my hand on the windshield to push it back a little and look down,,,, Damn it,,, a HUGE rock chip ... If you don't know I had a ton of trouble getting a windshield for this car that fit,,, and the crap glass coming out of China is too damn small and leaves the rubber about 1/2" short in all the corners,,, then with a help of a friend in the glass world I was able to buy on the last USA made PPG front windshield's,,, SO to say I'm a little mad is a under statement --

Monday -- - I start with the obvious, I load a old program into the EFI and it still doing the same thing, so with a help of a good buddy I start trouble shooting the electrical, chasing lines front to rear,,,, so because you can't never have enough light for us old guys to see, I put a Halogen light on the front hood to light up the interior of the car and put a little warmth into the car,, so were jumping in and out of the car chasing electrical runs from the engine to the luggage area and then start working from the luggage to front trunk,,, we raise the hood and carefully reposition the light -- -- -- so after about another hour we have determined there ain't no electrical issues as all the power is still on even when the engine shuts down -- -- which leaves either the injectors aren't working (I need on of those little plug in test lights to see if the injectors are still working) OR they are clogged,,,, which I find hard to believe since I run a 6 micron filter...... SOOOO, my buddy and I are scratching our heads,,,, OK he is scratching his head, I'm scratching my butt.... and I decide I'll get a injector tester and another set of injectors AND another filter and go that way tomorrow ,,,, So, we start putting stuff away,,, THEN,,, I start shutting off lights and look down at the light on my hood,,, the halogen light had rocked forward and the protective wire screen was touching the NEW front windshield -- HOLY CHIT -- -- It's not a good week to be a windshield around me

Damn you gotta love this chit -- -- at least both of these things are on the passenger side and I won't have to be looking thru them
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminds me why I'm a carbuerator guy. Wink

Good on you for sticking to it. I may have thrown the towel in by now.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody provided me this link for a great technical resource for driving in a crooked manner -- thought I'd share

http://www.turnfast.com/technical
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO after 3 years .. .. .. enuff said

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... condolences on the windshield(s).

And the Electro(non)motive experiment. HeathKit EFI next? Very Happy

bryan
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
Geeeeeez -- -- 11am and it is already 100* today --- got the car setting on all four and decided to roll it back out of the garage and check it's stance, make sure I hadn't screwed anything up, and to clean the garage under the car to get ready for phase 2 --- took a couple of pictures to prove I'm working on it LMAO

Are you running a narrowed beam?

bnc
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the day making some brackets to mount the new coils -- Slowly laying everything out so that I will not get any ignition and injector feedback into the crank and cam sensors

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, With each coil sporting 5 wires, it is making this wiring job a bastard to keep it looking clean, I could of 'hid' it better with longer wire runs, but I was wanting to keep the power wire as short as possible after looping it thru a ferrite core to kill the 'noise' from the coils -- -- I do not want any interference getting into the cam and crank sensors this time ====

This took me 5 hours with building the harness and doing the plugs and it is still not done, This is with only 1 wire connected, 4 more to go -- hitting it hard today,,, again

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After::::::::::::::::::

Now I'm waiting on my Metricpak connectors to get here --- Should of ordered them before the weekend but couldn't find what I wanted until last night late -- -- coming from Texas -- --
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

Are you running a narrowed beam?

bnc
\

Sorry was on vacation and missed your inquiry -- -- No narrowed beam -- stock width with 13mm spacers to center the tires/rims -- Only rubs when at full turn but I've got 205/45 16's on the front
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was planning on having a nice relaxing day today, It's a beautiful day, shorts and t-shirt weather here in Cali -- Well, My wife and I are recovering from having our kitchen completely tore apart from the ice maker line breaking and hosing the floor and cabinets and walls down -- but after about 29 hours of listening to the dehumidifiers drone on and on and on and on, I decided to go out into the garage where it's nice and quiet and plunk away at wiring up the engine harness for the AEM -- so I decide to make a few runs here and there and get some wires about where they need to be and complete the injector wiring -- I've got the ghia stripped down, all the seats are out so I can get my fat arse in to snake between the roll bars and poke wires thru the fire wall, then I crawl out backwards and get into the engine compartment and pull them thru -- I've been doing this for about 4 hours -- in and out, in and out -- so I finally got the injector wires half way shrink wrapped and I'm getting ready to put the connectors on and finish this chit up,, It's looking pretty good and then I cut them to the length I want -- -- Now AEM has some nice harness, each wire is labeled with what it is for, and they put the harness together with a zip tie about every foot, But all the injectors are the same color and I just cut off the wire .. .. and the labeling can't be seen as it is under the shrink wrap,,,,, Damn it, So I get out the ohm meter and poke a lead thru the fire wall, walk around snake myself into the car, pop the connector off the EFI and start seeing which wire is for which injector,,,, easy peasy -- so I'm backing out from inside the car and suddenly there something cold, wet stuck up my arse -- -- I scream like the little girl that I am and almost launch myself out through the opposite side of the car -- -- -- The freaking neighbors Great Dane had got of its back yard and snuck into my garage was checking out what I was doing ... O Holy Chit, it skeered the living crap out of me

The wife comes running out thinking I have attempted to kill myself .. again ... --So I then end up hurting my back lifting the wife off the ground where she was rolling on the floor laughing and crying her eyes out -- F-it,,, I'm done for today......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 27

Jump to: