Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karman Sutra
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
I met a buddy for lunch today -- look at what the damn bastard drove up in -- --

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was his dad's who bought in '79 for $19K -- his dad took a greyhound to Texas with the money in a tool box -- -- Only the second time in four years he had driven it -- should of seen the commotion it caused -- even a Firetruck going up the street with its siren on had guys hanging out the window starring ....... It's 100% original total unrestored ... Oh it's a '70 Plymouth Super Bird
Shocked WHAT MOTOR???

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Superbird!!
Im still pissed I sold my 68 Charger to buy my first ghia. Evil or Very Mad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

440 with a 4 speed pistol grip
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long time there was one parked next to a custom painters' shop in the town where I grew up. Years later, after it was gone, I asked him about it. He said the owner was passing through town and it broke down so he asked if he could park it there. The painter said it ended up sitting there for AT LEAST 2 years and one day the guy showed back up to get it. I asked what engine the car had and he said, "I don't know, the one with all the carburetors." Since there was a blown early Hemi on an engine stand next to the guy when he said it I figured it must've been a 440 6bbl. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no idea how I missed this thread before now, but I just spent 2 hrs reading all 20 pages.

Harold, you are an excellent read. I busted out laughing about 3 times. Seriously funny.

Cool car, BTW.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn -- Now I'm feeling sorry about keep you up all night Tubs -- Hopefully you have today off to recover from your .. .. .. ah .. folly LOL

thanks for reading
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is freaking embarrassing -- -- Just figured out that this is the first time this year the car has been out of the garage --

Oh Well, -- It's at least back together, just waiting on the tuner -- --

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was looking soooo good in the driveway this morning -- I just figured that daddy needed a new chair for the office

A Kirkey Seat is for sale !!!!

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering if .. .. .. .. ..

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have huge(r) tires under the Ghia -- -- But I can't bring myself to do any cutting to the body, I just think the stock lines are beautiful -- I could do a 3" Torsion narrowing and go that route, but it would require a lot of "redo" to my cage as it is mounted to the outside of the torsion tubes..........

And then I find this build ------

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/117289-Porsche-918-Wide-Body-RSR-LS3-1970-Build-Sema-Project

I just think all the 'hacking' done to this body is just crazy -- -- It will be badass when done but .. .. .. ... ..
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Sale -- -- $200 OBO -- hasn't be damaged by my weak-ass

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Son bought me a new key ring for the Ghia -- Does he know something I don't????

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to talk and hang out with Finnegan and Freiburger for about a hour today at the Optima Challenge --

They were working on a yellow Mazda rotary pickup with a 455 front engine Olds mounted in the bed -- they bought it from a guy who claimed it was a 10 sec car -- must of been timed in the 100 foot, cause it was a dog LOL

I didn't have much to offer them as far as help or suggestions, BUT they had some very nice eye candy hanging around them and it made walking away very VERY difficult LMAO

Did get a cool sticker -- Had volunteered to help doing the Tech-in early this am (before it got into the 100's) and the guy making the stickers messed up as it was suppose to be intermediate, so I took the damn thing LOL -- don't know if it should go on the Ghia or the tool box -- probably be the tool box

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO -- -- About December 15th I had the engine out and got the trans back from Benco -- I reinstalled the engine did some upgrades, and started putting everything back together

Immediately, I started having EFI problems -- turn on master power -- Electromotive EFI would come on run all the prestart stuff, hit start, engine would run for 20-30 seconds and shut off -- -- -- I would turn off the 'key', turn on the 'key' -- nothing -- kill the master power everything would repeat, engine would run, shut off, again everything dead

Holy crap I was vexed,,,,, so I sent the box back to Electromotive,, came back,, still the same thing,,, sent the box back and they sent me a new one as a replacement...... By this time I was pissed and I had the AEM setting on the shelf, so I started the AEM install -- -- So flash forward until this month and I had finally finished the install (OK, OK , I know I'm slow, but I was just frustrated with everything) I took the Ghia over the WesTech in Mira Loma to double check everything I had done on the install of the AEM and for them to tune the damn thing......

So I get a call from Eric @ WesTech last Friday, the Damn AEM is doing the same freaking thing, turn on main power, turn the 'key' on -- it would cycle thru everything perfectly, turn the 'key' off, turn 'key' back on -- -- box is all pissed off -- turn main power off/on -- start over, it work once then fail.....

WTF is going on???????????

I am Stumped -- I had gone through the wiring twice during the install checking everything -- -- I really dwelling on this thinking, thinking............ I'm thinking that the ARC switches is letting a small of current to flow through when the 'key' is off, not letting the memory clear for a clean restart...... Nah!! how can that happen through the relays......

SOOOO, I'm in bed Saturday night at about 11:30, almost asleep, when it hits me, The freaking alternator has a bad diode in it and letting current bleed through -- -- Hmmmm just might be it...

Monday night after work, I swing by WesTech, walk over to the Ghia, pull the exciter wire off the alternator.... SHAZAMMMM, freaking problem disappears -- -- 10 DAM months working on this thing and it was just a bad freaking Alternator from the very beginning...... who would of thunk it.......................................
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
SO -- -- About December 15th I had the engine out and got the trans back from Benco -- I reinstalled the engine did some upgrades, and started putting everything back together

Immediately, I started having EFI problems -- turn on master power -- Electromotive EFI would come on run all the prestart stuff, hit start, engine would run for 20-30 seconds and shut off -- -- -- I would turn off the 'key', turn on the 'key' -- nothing -- kill the master power everything would repeat, engine would run, shut off, again everything dead

Holy crap I was vexed,,,,, so I sent the box back to Electromotive,, came back,, still the same thing,,, sent the box back and they sent me a new one as a replacement...... By this time I was pissed and I had the AEM setting on the shelf, so I started the AEM install -- -- So flash forward until this month and I had finally finished the install (OK, OK , I know I'm slow, but I was just frustrated with everything) I took the Ghia over the WesTech in Mira Loma to double check everything I had done on the install of the AEM and for them to tune the damn thing......

So I get a call from Eric @ WesTech last Friday, the Damn AEM is doing the same freaking thing, turn on main power, turn the 'key' on -- it would cycle thru everything perfectly, turn the 'key' off, turn 'key' back on -- -- box is all pissed off -- turn main power off/on -- start over, it work once then fail.....

WTF is going on???????????

I am Stumped -- I had gone through the wiring twice during the install checking everything -- -- I really dwelling on this thinking, thinking............ I'm thinking that the ARC switches is letting a small of current to flow through when the 'key' is off, not letting the memory clear for a clean restart...... Nah!! how can that happen through the relays......

SOOOO, I'm in bed Saturday night at about 11:30, almost asleep, when it hits me, The freaking alternator has a bad diode in it and letting current bleed through -- -- Hmmmm just might be it...

Monday night after work, I swing by WesTech, walk over to the Ghia, pull the exciter wire off the alternator.... SHAZAMMMM, freaking problem disappears -- -- 10 DAM months working on this thing and it was just a bad freaking Alternator from the very beginning...... who would of thunk it.......................................

All that time! In my experience you should always ask your wife. They will look at the engine and say, "have you checked the <whatever>" You'll then spend the next 10 minutes explaining why it can't be the <whatever> and proceed to tear the engine apart.

Of course it finally turns out to be the <whatever> but when you return triumphant, that you finally solved the problem...it just slips your mind to tell her it WAS the <whatever>. Embarassed Not sexist or condescending...just true...at least for me. Laughing

At least you can get some sleep now Harold. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem usually is I have these tremendous revelations during the night, then can't remember what they were in the morning
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
When my wife and I were in college, and her Ghia was with us, she would always say "did you check the gas filter." Of course it was always the gas filter which I was convinced could not be the problem because it was one of the clear glass ones from the 80s and "I could clearly see it was clean."

I now ask her for her opinion when I can not find a solution to a problem, mechanical or otherwise.
I think I should keep her for at least another 23 Yrs. if not indefinitely.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wife always tells me to rip all that electronic chit off and put a carb and mag back on it..............
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with her! Love them carbys. Glad you figured it out. I would have pulled what's left of my hair out by this point and NEVER would have thought of that being a problem.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 27

Jump to: