Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving a dash pad...
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniangel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reviving a dash pad... Reply with quote

So I have a unique situation, I took the dash pad off, and ended up breaking some of the screw-in points, but its also got a huge crack in the wood, as well as water damage. I'm wanting to re-vinyl it, but am worried about the wood itself. Any Ideas?

http://www.ghiadoll.com/2012/03/29/dash-pad-worries/
Pics^^^

~DANI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that isn't really a unique situation you have there. Many an old dash pad has been wrecked by water leaks and heat. That fiberboard backing (not actually wood) is pretty flimsy and easily damaged or broken. The fiberglass repros that are available look really good but leave small gaps around the windshield posts. If exact fit isn't an issue for you, this might be a good way to go for a fix. Decent used pads (or even just the fiberboard part) are hard to find. If you'd rather try and save the original, some fiberglass cloth and resin can be used to cover over the damaged areas and to re-attach the mounting studs. Using some 1/8" foam padding under the new vinyl will help hide any imperfections underneath.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Daniangel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it was worst than I thought.. It had severe water damage, and is Broken into several pieces.. Need to figure out how to make a new one..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tondemonai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you (or someone you know) is handy with a jigsaw and a router or dremel, you can use your original as a template to make a new one. Fiberboard, hardboard, or MDF is easily obtainable at Home Depot or Lowes, and it's reasonably inexpensive. You can put new bolts or screws through the top and seal with some gorilla glue or putty.

Use some high temperature adhesive spray (check your auto parts store for that) to glue down 1/8" filler (get this from any fabric store).

Using some more adhesive, wrap the top in marine grade black vinyl (also from fabric store - you want marine grade due to resistance to damage by UV and water). In order to shape, use your freshly cut board and make it about 1.5" bigger all around.

Staple it down on the underside at least 1/2" from the edge. You may have to use a heat gun (even a hair dryer will work) to make the vinyl nice and pliabe.

Use a knife to cut slits for the vent holes. DO NOT CUT THE HOLES OUT. The fabric will stretch and shrink over time, so just cut a slit and pull the fabric through and staple/glue the fabric on the underside of each hole.

There are tools you can get to punch the holes for the speaker grille, or you can cut a hole, fold it back, and use an x-acto knife to perforate for mounting screws for a separate grille.

Take your time, and good luck!
Daniangel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, there are a lot of curves in the dash, and a flat piece of wood wouldn't fit, is that where the dremmel comes in?
Daniangel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also thinking of getting fiberglass and sticking the pieces back together. What do you think about that?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the solution proposed by tondemonai will work for your problem. As you said, the dash top is molded to fit the curve of the dash and to fit around the windshield posts at both ends. I can't see how a flat piece of fiberboard covered in vinyl would look even remotely close to the OEM piece.
I've also been searching for a decent replacement dash pad for my '67 but haven't had any luck so far. There's a guy in Australia, Jerry Heldt, who makes a repro using fiberglass to replace the fiberboard and then covers the top with thin foam padding and vinyl. The one problem is that, after one initial e-mail contact, he's stopped communicating and I can no longer access his web site. Maybe you'll have better luck.
www.karmannghia.com.au

If getting a repro isn't an option, I'd seriously consider using fiberglass to repair what you have or just fill the holes and paint the dash top instead of using a pad.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
das skiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you reassemble the pieces directly on the cleaned metal dash like a jig-saw puzzle?
If so -and if you can make it look decent - you can then lay a few coats of resin with light strands of glass on top of the pieces to slowly rebuild the form prior to a recover.
Once it's back to a one piece (flimsy) unit, you can strengthen it with more resin from both sides and even add re-enforcement glass to the back side.

If this sounds doable - grease or wax up your dash prior to any glass resin....
makes clean-up easier.

One of the great side advantages to my Ghia ownership is how it can train you/force you to be so resourceful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry is still around and selling parts; If you have no joy in trying to contact him, you can place an order with me and I will make sure your order is sent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tondemonai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
I don't think that the solution proposed by tondemonai will work for your problem. As you said, the dash top is molded to fit the curve of the dash and to fit around the windshield posts at both ends. I can't see how a flat piece of fiberboard covered in vinyl would look even remotely close to the OEM piece.

Valid point, I didn't consider the Z axis curvatures, just the overall shape in a flat format. So yes - while this technique can work for doorcards, it will not work for dash pads. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Daniangel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

das skiver wrote:
Can you reassemble the pieces directly on the cleaned metal dash like a jig-saw puzzle?
If so -and if you can make it look decent - you can then lay a few coats of resin with light strands of glass on top of the pieces to slowly rebuild the form prior to a recover.
Once it's back to a one piece (flimsy) unit, you can strengthen it with more resin from both sides and even add re-enforcement glass to the back side.

If this sounds doable - grease or wax up your dash prior to any glass resin....
makes clean-up easier.

One of the great side advantages to my Ghia ownership is how it can train you/force you to be so resourceful.

I'm going to try this method, I bought the stuff and hopefully will be able to do it tomorrow when my step dad get home from work..
The guy at lowes was very helpful, and suggested I liquid-nail the pieces together before fiber-glassing it.

will update!!!
Daniangel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI.. I keep getting spam comments on the post of the link I put on here.. I ask that you please stop..
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniangel wrote:
FYI.. I keep getting spam comments on the post of the link I put on here.. I ask that you please stop..

Web designer here. WordPress is open source. Script kiddies have found all sorts of ways to exploit the program and are victimizing you randomly; they use auto-bots to insert seemlingly directed comments in order to get a website URL on your website (in the latest case it's bestdigitalcamerasreview). It's nobody here posting those comments. Same thing happens all the time with any Content Management System like Drupal, Joomla, etc.

Find a good wordpress forum and do a search for this problem. Someone there will give you tips on on how to lock down your site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniangel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_hamilton wrote:

Web designer here. WordPress is open source. Script kiddies have found all sorts of ways to exploit the program and are victimizing you randomly; they use auto-bots to insert seemlingly directed comments in order to get a website URL on your website (in the latest case it's bestdigitalcamerasreview). It's nobody here posting those comments. Same thing happens all the time with any Content Management System like Drupal, Joomla, etc.

Find a good wordpress forum and do a search for this problem. Someone there will give you tips on on how to lock down your site.

Ok, thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: