Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia deck lid rack - to drill or not to drill
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
armkreuzauge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Ghia deck lid rack - to drill or not to drill Reply with quote

I'm having a 73 painted and the deck lid was replaced. It had what appears to be the orig rack, one that was drilled into the lid and held in place by four bolts on the engine compartment side. It's just like this one:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1293546

My questions are, 1) is this rack in fact OE (dealer option or factory?). If not, I don't want to put it back on the car and 2) if it is OE were these racks always drilled or was there an option to attach it without drilling into the new deck lid? If it was drilled by the dealer or factory when the car was new, I would feel much better about making holes in this expensive piece of steel. Thanks
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was never a factory rear luggage rack, or a dealer installed one that was VW approved. There are some which require no drilling though.

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: