Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not a morning bus anymore. cold start issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will your engine get going with a lively push start down a hill when it's cold?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

I've never tried doing that. I've seen them do this on Top Gear UK, and it doesn't look like something I would want to do. I thought about trying it in the parking ramp at my work, like practice, just in case.... Laughing
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

I've never tried doing that. I've seen them do this on Top Gear UK, and it doesn't look like something I would want to do. I thought about trying it in the parking ramp at my work, like practice, just in case.... Laughing

Starter: turns the engine over by turning the flywheel.
Roll start: turns the engine over by turning the flywheel.
(I'm sure there's a flaw with this, as it can't be good for the clutch, but people here tell stories of living in San Francisco and going 8+ months without a starter.)

Make sure you're doing it in an appropriate gear. Anything more than 3 mph use 2nd gear. As soon as the engine catches get in in neutral. Same thing applies around town. Engine stall going 15? 3rd gear. Stall going 30? 4th gear. But get it into N then an appropriate gear asap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Try and get your speed up above 5 mph, preferable up to 8 or 10 and then use third and let the clutch out gently. At 15 you can use 4th and you will have the engine spinning way faster than the starter could do it.

Gently is the key word here as you can really stress the drive line if you let the clutch out quickly especially in the lower gears. Even in third at 10 mph you may drag the rear wheels if you are on gravel or even smooth concrete.
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

You have never done this? Shocked . I do it all the time because it is fun Laughing . Now that I have thought about it I might be damaging something Confused . I don't think I am because when I do it the bus starts just as smooth as when I turn the key without any lurching or slamming.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
But get it into N then an appropriate gear asap.

It's that part that makes me cringe. - You can get by without the starter, but the solenoid... the "human solenoid", "Get it out of gear real quick" Laughing

In Top Gear they seem to always do it in reverse gear. I was thinking the tallest gear would be best, but I am going to study these responses here just in case I do need to do this.
ncstagger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made it through half of summer tour 91 with no battery... just push starting so its possible, not good for the drivetrain for sure but works in a pinch!

Resto thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549162

"Take your most realistic time frame and dollar amount.. then add half of that amount. When you get that total... double it. Only then will you be in the ballpark." - sofaking
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
But get it into N then an appropriate gear asap.

It's that part that makes me cringe. - You can get by without the starter, but the solenoid... the "human solenoid", "Get it out of gear real quick" Laughing

In Top Gear they seem to always do it in reverse gear. I was thinking the tallest gear would be best, but I am going to study these responses here just in case I do need to do this.

Let me clarify. You're not going to kill anything by doing this. The "get it out of low gear part" is so you don't roll start it in 4th gear at 20mph and them try to drive away. I retract my ASAP statement and substitute:

Make sure you don't continue to drive in your roll-start gear. Get it in to an appropriate gear to continue driving and all will be good.
Simbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth/adulthood wrote:
Anyone ever found out what happend with the original theme of this thread? Did the slow starter/difficult start when cold problem get resolved Question What was the problem?

I think it's the starter motor bush that needs replacing. I'm going to attempt it when I'm off work next week. Smile Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: