Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheating 1969 1500SP... please help... I'm out of options
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alpha_Maverick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Overheating 1969 1500SP... please help... I'm out of options Reply with quote

Hey, guys (and gals). I'm a long time lurker on here, and I got a new-to-me 1969 beetle in great condition last december. One major problem: I can't drive on the highway at high speed without it overheating.

When I first got it, I did an oil change (10w30, with cam-shield), and adjusted the valves, then took her out for a drive. Drove around town for a little while, just to get her warmed up, and she's a dream. I took her out on the highway, to see what she'd do, and... about four minutes later I hear detonation, and panic. She's -way- too hot, and I'm terrified that I've destroyed my lovely new car. I slow down, and get off the highway ASAP. When I slow to a stop, my oil light comes on at idle. I've been here long enough to know that I just need to keep the revs up, to help cool off the oil. I do it, and before the light at the end of the off ramp turns green, I'm doing ok again. I nurse her home, afraid to overheat again. I immediately bought a Berg-style dipstick thermometer. Now, anytime I get on the highway, she doesn't last more than three minutes before the light comes on.

Here's the setup:

It's (supposedly. I've not opened it up and measured bore/stroke) a rebuilt 1500SP. It is built around an AE case, with new cylinders and rebuilt heads. That much I can tell from the outside. It's got a 30 Pict-2 carb, and (I believe) a stock vacuum dizzy. I've set the valves at .006, the timing at TDC, dwell to 48*, and I've checked all the carb jets. I'm running a 125 main (came with a 116, I changed it), 125z air correction, and a 55 idle. I can't see any markings on the power jet, but using my twist drills to check, it's bigger than my .0250" (.635mm) but smaller than my .0280" (.7112mm). I'm not sure if it matters, but the check-ball that's supposed to be in the power circuit of the 30 PICT-2 isn't there, and I don't know what to replace it with. I've set the idle fuel pressure to 3 1/2 PSI (was over 10 when I got it). Oil cooler relief piston -was- stuck in the closed position when I got it. I've since freed the piston, but there's been no change in highway behavior with any of my changes.

All tins and seals (with the exception of a few small grommets, I'm getting to them one at a time) are in place, and all hoses are in good condition. I've installed and adjusted thermostat (new, german style) and flaps (all were missing when I bought it). They are fully open when hot, I've checked. It has a non-doghouse shroud, and the firewall insulation is in place, with all tabs secure. I'm running the stock '69 non-vented decklid.

I'm out of ideas as to what could be causing the overheating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

-Mav
Wa-hillbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked your timing?very critical in a air cooled engine,is your carb running too lean............just some pointers and i am sure other people will ask you this too
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"..about four minutes later I hear detonation, and panic."

You'll have go over the engine. Make sure that the entire cooling system is intact, tight, adjusted, free of obstructions and functioning properly.

Using Bentley, re-check all your tune-up specs, engine adjustments and systems again. If everything is there, in spec and functioning properly, you should be able to drive down the highway all day long without over heating.
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil cooler plugged maybe and how do the spark plugs look? Is the motor broken in.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v

Last edited by 1975 Kombi on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wa-hillbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you hear pinging after a short distance of running some rpms..........really sounds like your timing is off,will make her heat up fast,do you get any backfire?.............i would looks a timing posts and then check to see what disturber you have and where it should be timed at........hopefully it could be that simple[/quote]
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing possibly. If the oil pressure is too high at speed, the oil cooler will be bypassed, causing overheating.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wa-hillbilly wrote:
you hear pinging after a short distance of running some rpms..........really sounds like your timing is off,will make her heat up fast,do you get any backfire?.............i would looks a timing posts and then check to see what disturber you have and where it should be timed at........hopefully it could be that simple
X10 on the timing! also are your fan shroud flaps opening? if you have A bad thermostat, "its supposed to fail safe" but if your missing the spring?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up above pushrod tubes, is the flat tin under the center of cyls, both sides, At idle u can check if thst opens fully, i would adj so it is flaps inside housing are fully open and make a run. Could un-screw thst and manually move rod to see if flaps open /close all way freely.Agree, timing too fast will add to condition/ping. Sure it's stock and not big cyls added??Possible wrong fan, i did it long ago, picked 36 fan by mistake and almost fried a new re-build.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the heads are original 1500 heads and the engine is now a 1600, you have higher than normal compression. I don't know what was done on your rebuild, but the builder should have used spacers under the cylinders to reduce compression.

Have you tried using higher octane gas? Also try retarding the timing.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Alpha_Maverick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, forgot to mention: cranking compression is about 125psi +/- 5psi between all cylinders
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very similar set up to what you have....a 1500 rebuilt as a 1600 with a 30 PICT 2, a vacuum only distributor (205M), etc. Your compression is good and your tune up #'s sound fine.

The one time I ran really hot and the oil light came on was when I forgot to tighten the distributor clamp after timing it and the distributor slipped out of time. Did you maybe do that?

Timing a vacuum only distributor at TDC statically is generally good enough but "should" be verified with a strobe. Whenever I check it with the strobe I'm usually right on or maybe a degree or so advanced. Not generally enough to cause pinging and overheating. Since you did that, you might have another issue but there's no harm in double checking the timing as that's about the simplest thing you can do.

As someone mentioned, reach above the pushrods to the bottoms of the cylinders and see if the air deflecting tin is in place there. If not, you need it. Badly b/c it serves to circulate the air along the bottoms of the cylinders. It looks like this and you'll have to pull the heads to get it on:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You mentioned your oil cooler relief being stuck. Are you sure it isn't still? It could be the case that the oil isn't getting to the cooler and is just progressively heating up. There could also be some blockage in the oiling system/oil galleys but that would involve a teardown to find.

On the somewhat simpler side but still oil related, have you checked out your oil cooler? Perhaps it's blocked or otherwise compromised?

***Edit***Also check out this thread b/c the guy's also having overheating issues but he traced them to his oiling system

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508149
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the engine firewall insulation is not getting sucked into the fan opening....
Alpha_Maverick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*UPDATE*
Today, I put a tennis ball on the decklid latch, to get more air. NO real change. Later, I did an oil change with 5w20, instead of 10w30. Small change in maximum cruising speed without overheating, but not enough.

My current maximum speed at which the engine cools consistently is 65-70mph indicated (55-60 by GPS. I have slightly smaller tires on it. I'll be fixing that ASAP, once I fix the overheat)

I double checked both the oil relief piston and the firewall insulation. Piston moves freely and the insulation is quite secure, with all tabs in place and holding nicely. I also checked the oil pump. It's a 26mm. I little scored, but... from what I can tell, that's par for the course with this engine builder.

Next weekend, I'll drop the motor again, and check all the oil passages and oil cooler itself.

Thanks for the support and help so far.

ETA: -all- tins are in place. All of them. The only one that has me -slightly- concerned is the crank pulley tin that meets up with the breastplate tin. It's not exactly a precision fit between the two of them.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you pull the oil cooler, measure the inner width of the cooling fan and post result.

Oil pressure relief spring/s changed and you never know if someone could have put in any old spring or cut down the right one. So measure the spring and check out:

Too short or weak of rear spring will result in oil bypassing the cooler!

Too long or strong of rear spring will result in blown oil cooler or swelled up cooler enough to not allow the cooling air through.

How long has engine been without running??? Could be full of mouse stuff in the shroud.

Be good time to tear down to longblock for a good cleaning, filing/sawing out all casting flash in head fins, and retorque all the case and head fasteners on same sequence as if you were building it.
scratchs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dealing with the same issue with my car for over two years now. I just recently removed the oil cooler and pressure sending unit and used some compressed air in and blew out a large plug of shit out the hole. I'm waiting for new seals and cooler to come to try out my finding. I tried everything else, new oil pump, new pressure relief valve, timing, new plugs, new carb, exhaust wrap, new tins. I've tried everything, I'm hoping this plug was the cause for the over heating. I'm guessing the plug was causing the oil not to reach the cooler and the oil was being redirected back without cooling. Good luck.
priss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha_Maverick wrote:
*UPDATE*

My current maximum speed at which the engine cools consistently is 65-70mph indicated (55-60 by GPS. I have slightly smaller tires on it. I'll be fixing that ASAP, once I fix the overheat)

The top speed of a 1969 1500 listed in the manual is what? 74ish?
Maybe..
The engine believes you are going that fast. The system is cooling the heads at the design maximum. Its a stock bug, you are getting all you are going to get. If you want to go 80-90 on the speedo, or 65-70 actual with the little tires on and expecting to solve the overheat before changing the tires then you are asking too much.

You can put as much horsepower as you want into your engine but the cooling system and heads are only going to dissipate so much. Even if you have 200hp you are only using 50ish to cruise 60mph.

3 minutes still seems really fast for an overheat tho so prolly multiple problems. Slippery fanbelt can be a problem too.
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see the numbers on your distributor? Please post if you can.

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

priss wrote:
The top speed of a 1969 1500 listed in the manual is what? 74ish?

Be nice....it's actually 78 Laughing

But rebuilt as a 1600 it's what, 81?
Alpha_Maverick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright... I've pulled the engine and torn down the cooling system. Pic heavy.

First off, getting your pinkie caught between the flywheel and mounting studs hurts like the dickens, and bleeds buckets. Here's the aftermath, still leaking a little:

Next: firewall insulation. Please note that all the clips are in place and holding just fine. The insulation cannot be moved without pulling those clips.

Next: Cooling fins on engine. All clear, as far as I can tell:

Flaps (powdercoated by Awesome Powdercoat), fully open:

Fan, 28 blades, with a 5mm gap between it and the shroud:

Old pressure relief piston and spring next to the piston and spring from the "pressure booster kit" from EMPI:

I am very much tempted to put in the EMPI spring, with my old piston, as the old spring is shorter, and very much softer than the new one. I'm still trying to come up with a way to test the spring force, so I can compare it to the spec table above.

Oil cooler flows freely, and there were no blockages in the case, that I could perceive.

Distributor numbers are as follows:
JUR 4 <-
0 231 137 035
113 905 205 T
Alpha_Maverick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update to the update:
After doing a "best I could come up with" spring test, it looks like he put the 69 spring in the AE case. This -could- cause some serious issues... Now, do I throw the "pressure booster kit" in, or do I dig around and find OE spec springs for it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: