Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All rev and no go???
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsteele05
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: All rev and no go??? Reply with quote

I really don't know whats going on with my motor. Think its around a 2180 CC engine dual carbs magnaspark dizzy,everything seems to be dialed in near perfect, last week it overheated just a little when the belt snapped ever since the engine behaves the same as it ever did in neutral but going down the road its almost like im driving with the brakes on i don't know if my clutch could be slipping or what. lifted up each wheel today and rolled it to make sure nothing got caught up in the drums. then with tried it out in each gear to see if the clutch is still grabbing and it seems to be holding up well really confused.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a compression check, you may have stretched a valve. Also have a look at your valve lash, if it's changed from last tuneup it's time for new valves.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: All rev and no go??? Reply with quote

jsteele05 wrote:
last week it overheated just a little when the belt snapped

Define "just a little". Oil temps, head temps, oil pressure, how do they look now compared to before the belt broke?
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: All rev and no go??? Reply with quote

jsteele05 wrote:
last week it overheated just a little when the belt snapped

Is that like "just a little pregnant"?

2180 has 92mm cylinders, are they thick walls?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to get a woman a little pregnet one time,she got worse!!!. yes adjust the valves by all means do it, the heads are aluminum, and like all aluminum heads are prone to warpage when overheating& seats moving around,if it hasent droped a seat by now it should be fine, but the heads are cracked,but dont let that worry you too much they all do it(so I am told) you might need to also retorque the heads, but if thats needeed you probably need a set of rings too& a fine hone with a sunnen hone.I dont think it would hurt the valves .check for added blowby.and keep a spair belt & rench in the car!!!hmm I should probably do that too, but I dont have issues with my car... it has issues with me.good luck
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make sure the fan is free. The belt broke for a reason. The bearings in the gen/alt may be getting tight.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy076 wrote:
I would make sure the fan is free. The belt broke for a reason. The bearings in the gen/alt may be getting tight.
or the hampster has died and stuck in the blades.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
or the hampster has died and stuck in the blades.
Now that's really sad. Crying or Very sad
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: