Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you adjust seat back levers to make them work?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: How do you adjust seat back levers to make them work? Reply with quote

I have 2 65 Bug projects and it turns out I have front seats from I believe a 66 in one of them. My question is, how the heck do you adjust the seat back lever to work? Both seats seem to have all the parts in tact and nothing appears to be broken. When the release arm is moved the seat backs don't release. I can see that the lock that is on the same side as the release seems to move, but the one on the other side doesn't. Is there an adjustment to sync both of those together? I can release the seat back with the lever below it, but just not with the one with the white knob. Same for both seats. Thanks for any info.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DSC_9186 by offshores, on Flickr[/img]
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the lever is used in a up & forward motion, it activates a small cam that is roll pinned to the seat frame. The cam is also spring loaded. This cam should rotate and clear a locking pin on interior side of the seat frame.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both seats are doing the same thing. When I use the white knob lever it only releases the locking pin on that side. The other side is the one that doesn't move or release. basically there's 2 "J" hooks that are connected to each other through this tube in the seat frame:
[img]

DSC_9205 by offshores, on Flickr
[img]

DSC_9198 by offshores, on Flickr
You can see them both in the top pic. If I hold both J hooks w/ my fingers and pivot the one on the right (extra white knob lever side) it moves about a half inch before the other one engages. If I move the left side they both move the same. I can't see where anything can be tightened to take that excessive play out when the right j hook is the one that has torque put on it first. It's like there's a clutch on that side.

[/img]
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I found the culprit. Crack in the tube...
[img]

DSC_9212 by offshores, on Flickr[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: