Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WrRider's 63 build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

Awesome fab work!!
WrRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

I was thinking something like this. I went to the off road expo a few weeks ago hoping to see more ecotecs I only seen 2. They both had this style mount, on one I could see on the passenger side the bar was bent around the intake.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

size51 The jeep FC is my dads he wants to build it but he is in the middle of moving so i'm sure he will take offers
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

That is the ticket! I plan to remount our motor the same way.

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

This is the type of side motor mount I recommend for any inline 4, V6 or V8 in a VW based chassis. I've seen way too many broken bell housings, etc. from the rear cage work being pushed up by contact with the earth or getting rear-ended by another car.

If you DO build motor mounts off the bottom tube of the rear cage, it would be wise to add similar diagonal braces down to where the motor mount meets the bottom tube. It's not difficult, not expensive, and doesn't add a lot of weight to the car. Generally the chassis at the bell housing is well braced and very strong, but under the engine is farther out and built weaker.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jg210302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

I didn't notice any details on the shocks and such? Would you mind sharing the details of the suspension such as travel, shock length, spring rate, etc?
WrRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

jg210302 I bought these shocks on craigs list, they are brand new and the guy was building a similar car but had no experience and his help moved away, he wanted new wheels for his harley and he was going threw a divorce. Twisted Evil The front set are 12" travel (more than i need) good price, divorce) with a 200 and 300lb spring. the rear are 16" travel with dual 400lb springs. I haven't found my actual wheel travel yet. I once found a way to calculate the spring rates on samba, I don't remember what it cam to but I remember the rear was going to be stiff and the front was going to be close but more than likely I would need to change them all.

Nothing new to add about the build Crying or Very sad
WrRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

Got some garage time fabed up the cage and got some mounts for the radiator pics coming.
I recently bought a new KTM duel sport and started a YouTube channel. Rev'n Kevin check it out.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

That looks great! I'm assuming you have a 10° mount for the trans... that does wonders for ground clearance. After the fab work and my skid plate, it's too late to do that for my current buggy, but I'm thinking that'll be part of my next shopping list if I ever do another one.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WrRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

Yes sir 10°. The mount came with the trans I bought and I'm happy with it.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

Wow, what a difference 10° makes... Keep up the work

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
WrRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

Yes sir 10°. The mount came with the trans I bought and I'm happy with it.
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: WrRider's 63 build Reply with quote

She is coming along well! I like how much ground clearance the 10° mount gives you. It will help on approach and departure angles and keep you from beating the hell out of your back and the bottom of the car in the fast rough stuff!!!

Looks great Man.... Keep it up!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: