Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front End/Rear End Suspension, Brakes, and Steering Redo
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Front End/Rear End Suspension, Brakes, and Steering Redo Reply with quote

I began at 8 am this morning tearing down my front end suspension and brakes.

I have rented a stall at the Wrench It Center www.wrench-it.com/
in Salt Lake City. It costs $249 for a week or $325 for a week plus unlimited access to their tools. I went for the $325 and I'm glad I did because otherwise you have to rent them by the hour and it would be a hassle to always worry about returning the tools quickly and then possibly needing them again later. A week rental is from 8 am to 7 pm Monday through Saturday, so 6 full days.

I got a lot done today, both sides torn down to the steering knuckle, upper and lower control arms and the brakes removed. I still had between 1/32" and 1/16" left on the original brakes at 140,000 miles. The rotors are really worn.

Tomorrow, Phatveedub is going to drop over and help me with the upper and lower control arm bushing, and I'm going to replace my steering rack. My
friend Dan is going to help me by rebuilding my brake calipers.

I could not get the nut off the rear hubs, so I called Chris at VC and he is sending me the tool to remove it. The Wrench It Center did not have anything big enough.

All in all, I feel great about the progress I've made and the fact that I didn't strip or break anything. I can't wait to get my new spring and shocks and everything else installed.

Here's a few photos:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aweseome!

That was the most rewarding job I have done on my van thus far.
Keep posting, because I think you'll have plenty o' lurkers following.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish more people would completely disassemble everything, clean all the parts and build it back up with new bushings and bearings.

Getting it aligned will be a breeze.

Kudos Exclamation
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: repairing a van Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Looks great, keep it up so you don't run out of days. And the rear axel nut is a bear! I cary a 3/4" drive , and use the handle on my high lift to get it off. Also cary a spare hub with new bearings in it, never know! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That self service garage looks awesome. Apparently there is one near Seattle, but it is $200/day.

http://selfservegarage.com/
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
I wish more people would completely disassemble everything, clean all the parts and build it back up with new bushings and bearings.

any thoughts on how long the bushings last?

also, do they get stiff over time, so you cannot just look for cracks or gaps to see if they need replacement?
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Getting it aligned will be a breeze.

Kudos Exclamation

Likewise. and use the best parts you can find. Use the search to see what experience people have had with certain parts.

I did my complete front end a few years ago and since then the ball joints I got failed, the hardware is all rusted, the upper ball joints squealed and my used replacement end link broke.

A lot of better stuff has come on the market since then, like Burley's upper control arms with the heim joints, urethane bushings and the like.

pay now or pay later.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gl98115 wrote:
That self service garage looks awesome. Apparently there is one near Seattle, but it is $200/day.

http://selfservegarage.com/

I bet most of that goes to the insurance company.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a socket that fits the rear hub nut and a 2', 3/4" breaker bar with another 2' of extension, if you'd like to borrow it. You may need to put the rear wheels back on and drop it to the floor, put on the parking brake, and put it in gear, if the hub nuts are over torqued, or you might be able to break it loose with the socket and an air wrench with just the parking brake & in gear. PM me if you're interested. I'm in Cottonwood Heights.

Paul
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
insyncro wrote:

any thoughts on how long the bushings last?

also, do they get stiff over time, so you cannot just look for cracks or gaps to see if they need replacement?

Upper control arm bushings have been wearing out quickly as the quality of the stock replacements has fallen off.
Any bushing sets that have a sleeve involved like the lower control arm, radius rods and sway bar need that sleeve to be free, greased and allow a tiny bit of movement by design.
If they seize, the bushings will wear out much faster.
Replacing the power steering rack bushings should be a one time event.
I have been coating all bushings with a Loctite Silicone Grease that is for food service equipment, Viper Grease, IIRC, got a case off eBay for $1 a aerosol can. It has really kept all new replacement bushing looking good and protected from the elements.
BelRay, Lucas Red & Tacky or your choice of wheel bearing grease works well with the sleeves.
I use BelRay with the Powerflex bushings and like it.
Please check with Chris at T3Techniques for which grease he suggests as I am testing products and cross train many of them to see what works best.
Parts manufacturers may not approve of my methods.
I regularly grease at each service when the van is on the hoist and it pays off Exclamation
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. I worked solid from 8 am to 7 pm again today, still taking things apart. I heated the tie rod ends to get them off, only to find out I couldn't get the tie rods free from the old rack. There was a spanner tool that they had but the tie rods were too long to use it as the tie rod had to fit inside a cylinder that was closed with a 1/2" hole for a breaker bar on the end. I called up Chris and ordered their complete tie rod kit and will return the ends I had already bought.

phatveedub came over and helped with removing the upper control arm bushings and installing the new ones. My friend Dan took my brake calipers home to rebuild them.

One of the mechanics there came in with a socket that fit the rear hub nut and another had a 1800 lb 3/4" torque wrench. It didn't take him more than 5 seconds each to remove those nuts. Amazing what you can do with the right tool.

That opened up a whole new can of worms, removing the rear brakes, shocks, springs and CV joints so that I can remove the rear control arms.
I have the pasenger side control arm ready to come out in the morning.

All in all, I felt a little more overwelmed today. I did install one new rear brake cylinder just so I could feel like I'm turning the corner. I hope I can start reassembling things by tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for everyone's advice and offers of help. I did purchase the best German bushings and Ball Joints. I hope they do last a long time. I probably won't be doing this job again.
Sorry I don't have a lot of pics tonight. I'll try to get some tomorrow.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me miss the Air Force... the base had an auto workshop that was basically free, with every amenity you could imagine. Cool

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a memory of the inner vanagon tie rod on a manual rack. I recall a tab or something that acts like a "lock" to keep the tie rod from coming loose. I could be wrong though. Worth pulling the boot out of the way and checking. I could also be wrong. An open end wrench was all that was required to loosen the inner ball joint.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

I regularly grease at each service when the van is on the hoist and it pays off Exclamation

Thanks.

Do you just spray the bushings or their ends in situ?

You don't take them apart again, do you...?
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this stuff?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LOCTITE-Silicone-Lubricant-5E201
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
this stuff?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LOCTITE-Silicone-Lubricant-5E201

Nope.

Viper Lube

http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_us/hs....=technical

I spray this on the bushings to keep them from cracking and it has been working well.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Thanks.

Do you just spray the bushings or their ends in situ?

You don't take them apart again, do you...?

I regularly remove the lower control arm & rear trailing arm bolts, clean, regrease and reinstall.
Since I own the factory tools, I press out the threaded portions of the upper & lower ball joints and tie rods, clean, regrease and reinstall
At least once a year, usually during my spring tuneup and just before winter and salt season around here if the van will see duty during this time.

I can change any of the listed parts very quickly, without cutting any fasteners.
I like being able to have that luxury on the road.

I do my own "race" alignments and can do them on the fly now.

Grease is your friend Wink
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3. The first thing I did this morning was to finish the removal of my rear control arm. I couldn't get an air wrench on it so I used two long 1/2" extensions and a breaker bar. I was able to crank on it from outside of the wheel well to loosen it.

After removing the rear control arm, I compared my new bushings with the old and they looked so much smaller. I asked the mechanic there what he thought and he said they looked like the wrong ones, so I called Chris at VC who assured me that they were VW from Germany and they were correct.
He also empressed on me just how hard they were to put in. I made a quick decision based on what I had read and heard about the rear bushings lasting the life of the vehicle, what Chris said about the difficulty installing them, the fact that my old ones look great, and the fact that I have a whole lot of work to get done before Saturday and I can't afford any delays. I decided to skip the new rear control arm bushings and keep working on the other projects.
So I moved on.

I reinstalled the control arm and the CV joints on both sides (unfortunately I had undone both sides while I could still use the emergency brake to keep the shafts from turning, I should have only undone the inner CV on one side and pulled the control arm with the shaft still connected) I had removed the brakes from one side and installed a new brake cylinder before going home last night.

phatveedub came over and helped install the upper control arm bushings. Dave is a great guy. They are now ready to spot weld.

I installed a new VC spring and a new KONI shock before moving on to the other side.

I had to remove the old brake lines from the drivers side. I have found that it works better to remove them if you cut the old line so that you can fit a 14 mm box wrench over the fitting which gives you more torque and better grip than the 14 mm open end wrench. I was able to get all of my brake lines offdoing this. I used PB Blaster beforehand.

I had a tough time getting my new brake line installed because the old spring clip blocked the hole where the new line screwed in. I couldn't get enough movement in the old metal line to make it work because the mounting for my
ADDCO rear sway bar was in the way. I had to undo the sway bar before I could move the brake line and finally got it hooked up.

My friend Dan returned my newly rebuilt front brake calipers and helped me install one side of my rear brakes. After he left I installed the other side by my self. Now I know how to do that, although if these brakes last 25 years like the originals, I'll never have to do it again. Note how much brake lining was left after 140,000 miles:

I'm feeling better about getting it all done by Saturday now. I hope to get the ball joints replaced and the lower front control arm bushings pressed in tomorrow.
highsierra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoveMyWesty,
This is a great post! Having just done most of this same stuff to my van, I can appreciate what a great reference (and eye-opener) this is for anyone looking to tear into this job. Thanks for the step by step testimonial and keep it up!
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 4. First thing this morning after just getting started, the mechanic who had brought in his own big socket that removed my rear axle nuts came over and wanted the socket back because he had just lost his job. I told him I had just finished the rear brakes last night and was about to put the hubs back on if he could wait so I went and found the other mechanic who owned the 1800# air wrench and borrowed it so that I could torque the big nuts back on. I got the job done just as the other guy wanted to leave. Talk about good timing for me, not so good for the guy who lost his job.

On day 2, we had tried to press in one of the lower control arm bushings and managed to tear it. They are very difficult getting them started. I think we pushed it too far after we had it mostly in. I had Chris overnight me a new one and I wanted the mechanics at the shop to install it as well as remove and press in the lower ball joints. After discussing all of this with the mechanics, they were hesitant to do either and would not be willing to stand behind their work if they messed up a bushing or ball joint. I was dissapointed in this as they had told me originally that it would be no problem for them to do those jobs if I paid them.

They suggested I take it to a big machine shop just a few blocks away and have it done there. That shop told be that Vanagons where one of the vehicles they didn't work on and suggested I try an alignment shop a coupe of blocks from there. That shop didn't feel like he could do the bushings either but could do the ball joints but not until Friday night. That would only leave me Saturday to get the whole front end back together, bleed the brakes and be able to get it out of the shop by 7 pm. Oherwise I will need to pay for more days at the shop. I had to make some decisions.

First, I remembered the 2-piece urathane bushing kit (which I had forgotten about) that Van Cafe sells. I called Chris and he is overnighting it to me and I will send the rubber bushings back.

Second, I decided to hold off on the lower ball joint until a later date. The old ones are still in good shape, so I will save my new ones until I really need them. They are FEBI and I might not be able to find them in the future.

I went back to the shop and spent the rest of the day cleaning and painting parts.

Spot welds to keep upper control arm bushings from rotating

Painted upper control arms

Cleaned up radius arms using wire brush on grinder.

Painted steering knuckle.

Painted lower control arms.

Pressed in new sway bar end link bushings. Note the red urathane bushings are being reused as they are still in good shape.

New tie rod assemblies arrived today.

Attached left and right brake lines.

New manual steering rack. It turned out that I could press in the bushings by hand.

Note that the bushings are installed with flat sides vertical.

Steering rack with tie rods and boots and ends installed.

I couldn't resist the urge!

Tomorrow I'll start putting the front end together again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: