Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

slow cranking when warm
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: slow cranking when warm Reply with quote

ive had this problem for while on both a tired 1300cc and now a fresh 1600cc. ill drive home from work, grab a bite to eat and be ready to leave again in 30 mins. i get out there to start and the the starter turns so slow that it wont "catch" and fire up.

now if i leave it for a longer time and everything cools off, then chances are greater that it will fire right up. ive cleaned all the grounds, all battery connections, my timing is static set on a fresh 1600sp.

the battery isnt new, but its not old (less than a year. during the engine build i kept the battery unconnected and when i was getting close to firing it up, i put it on a tender. this is the third battery in 4 years. but they are all the oreilly's specials. do i just need to step up and go for an optima, or what are some other things to look into.

oh...its 6v still
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check condition of coil. I used to have one that was going out. It would fire fine in the morning. After work, Id drive home. If I had to stop at a store, it wouldnt turn until it cooled down. New Bosch coil fixed it.

PS- I use cheap Wally World batteries. They do just fine.

A hard start relay may help, but I have never needed one. You may be getting batteries that have a too low CCA rating. I usually do one slightly more than what is recommended. No issues. Too much is bad. Not enough is not enough.
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never thought about the coil. ive just check and triple checked all connections, and cleaned them at the same time.

maybe ill try a wally's battery and see if i have better luck

i do have a hard start relay installed. it made a huge difference when starting cold, but it just seems when warm, it doesnt make any difference.

can you find the specs on the batt youre running. ill go out and grab one this weekend and see if it makes a difference
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check/replace the starter bushing when you had the engine out?
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can take a look under the seat this evening, after work. Definitely check the coil.
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starter bushing is new.

thanks smitty. im at a point where its kinda time to shit or get off the pot..

stay 6v and track down the issues

or pull it all and go 12v.

looks like i can get the optima red top for about $130. figure a alternator conversion is about $125+shipping, add bulbs and a battery and for roughly $200 total, ill be 12v.

thoughts?
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I convert everything to 12 if it isnt. Things work better and parts are easier to get. You dont have to run voltage drops either. Lights are brighter and the whole car (as far as electrical and engine) functions better. Maybe it is just in my head, but those things seem to happen for me. With 12 volts, you dont get so many odd electrical gremlins. Grounding seems to be far more sensitive on a 6. Id pay the money to convert it, and put a new Bosch 12 volt (blue coil from Germany- not Mexico or China) on.
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the direction im leaning
roy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your timing, if its to far advanced it will do what you have described.

Some day when the rust is gone, I will at last found inner peace... (Peace has Been Found)

"Wide awake, and keeping distance from my soul"
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starter turning slow is not going to be caused by a coil.

Have you removed the ground cable from transaxle to body for a good cleaning??

Have the battery checked just in case.

What voltage do you have at the battery with engine off?

What voltage at battery with engine revved up a bit??

Did you check the condition of the OTHER starter bushing in the front?

Did you remove and clean both ends of both battery cables?

If either battery cable has those bolt on battery clamps, get new cables with swedged on clamps for gas tight seal there.
Hammarlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you can be sure the battery is good, you have to give it a load test, even if it's new, even if it's taking a charge, even if it shows 6 volts or more at rest.

The next time the starter is cranking slowly, hook your voltmeter up directly to the battery terminals, and read the voltage while trying to crank.

If the battery voltage falls much below 4.8 volts while cranking, the battery is almost certainly bad, even if it is new, etc.

If your battery fails this test (and I suspect it will, if you do it while the engine is cranking slowly), consider trying the Optima before you do the twelve-volt conversion.

I had the same problem for months when I first got my six-volt car. I had no voltage drops and my charging system was working properly, so I was pretty sure it had to be the batteries. I tried three or four and they failed the load test after only a few weeks on a regular basis. I was finally reduced to carrying a spare battery. The sad truth is, most inexpensive six-volt batteries today are garbage.

However, since I put in the Optima three years ago, my starter has worked properly and the car has started every single time, even when warm, even after sitting for weeks. No more spare battery!
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Starter turning slow is not going to be caused by a coil.

He said he will drive somewhere, take a break, and the car wont fire up. He says if it sits a while and cools, there is a better chance of firing.

I would sure check the coil! This is exactly what my old '69 did for a month before I replaced the coil. I had already replaced the battery, starter, and everything else I could figure out.

Tasty, I didnt forget about you! Ill check my CCA tonight and let you know. I was working too late and didnt get to it. I would also be researching that 12 volt conversion a bit more as well; think you would be glad you did.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitty24 wrote:

He said he will drive somewhere, take a break, and the car wont fire up. He says if it sits a while and cools, there is a better chance of firing.

The reason it is running slow when hot requires more HP from the starter, this is due to the rings on the pistons holding better compression.

With engine cold the pistons and rings are not swelled up slightly due to the heat, thus the compression is lower when cold so starter has less problem turning over the engine.

Had similar problem and turned out that the front starter bushing was worn out. This allowed the starter armature to rub inside the field coils causing drag. So our 1960 bus with 6 volt starter with 12 volt system would turn over fast enough, but was taking so much of the voltage the coil could not fire.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck fixing the problem?
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: slow cranking when warm Reply with quote

woah. i was looking at what posts i had and realized i had not come back and answered the question here.

yes i ended up solving the issue. i put an optima battery in and that helped a little it seemed. i finally pulled the starter and had it rebuilt and it fixed the problem completely. im not a starter expert, but i think i remember being told some kind of bearings inside the starter were bad. they would bind when hot and when cool spun just fine.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Had similar problem and turned out that the front starter bushing was worn out. This allowed the starter armature to rub inside the field coils causing drag. So our 1960 bus with 6 volt starter with 12 volt system would turn over fast enough, but was taking so much of the voltage the coil could not fire.

Yup, as above.

Thanks for updating this!! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: