Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can add is something I've been trying to explain to these newer aviation mech's we have here at work (with mixed results unfortunately)....
NEVER use an impact tool for installing, and I won't use one during removal until I can feel by hand that it is loose.. (break it loose with a hand tool, then use the motor tool).

Use a torque wrench set to the mfg's specification, and if it does not go in within that range, find out why.

In today's world of "I can get it done faster", everyone is using hi-speed battery powered drivers. This creates heat, and it also is not calibrated. It causes thread damage, although in your case it simply shanked out.

I was working on my car yesterday, looking at the mount, thinking you'd probably have to open it up to fix it, just as you did.

But, you got it, and that's good. All in all, a minor issue compared to what you've already accomplished.

Your frustration is likely because you are so close to being done! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on fixing it Monte. I had a feeling you were going to have to cut into it to get that bolt out. It happens. You just fix it (like you did), and move on.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last couple of days were fairly productive. Closed up the holes up front.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got the front fenders on, rear hatch. The turn signal and marker light were placed on as well but will take them off to buff paint. Oh, I swapped my rollers out as well for now. Did alot of chrome buffing today.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm trying to get the harness under the dash squared away as well as a few other items and have a few questions...
I don't recall what holds this portion of the harness in place under the dash. Is it a bracket of sorts that uses one of the fender bolts to hold it in place?

I tried to run the dome light cable and am not getting anywhere and am now thinking of removing the headliner area to get that ran. What's the best approach to it? feed downward...

Or feed upward?....

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

I don't recall what holds this portion of the harness in place under the dash. Is it a bracket of sorts that uses one of the fender bolts to hold it in place?

yes, it's a bracket shaped like a question mark that attaches with one of the fender mounting screws.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

yes, it's a bracket shaped like a question mark that attaches with one of the fender mounting screws.

Thanks BSQUARE. Today I made a small bracket for my cut-off switch and positioned it in place along with the battery cable.

I also sorted out the rear hatch light as well as the dome light. I pulled a portion of the headliner on the front corner of the drivers side and fed an extended coat hanger with a piece of string attached to it. Once the string was in place, I tied the dome light wires to it and pulled the that piece thru. Work out but still need to fish the driver side door switch. Tomorrow will start on the fuse box area. Slow weekend but got something done.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

I suffered a setback yesterday. I had prepared the car to start cutting and buffing by removing the front turn signals, bonnet and such. So I got started with wet sanding the roof with 1500 grit. I was sanding with long strokes while moving down the side of the car keeping the roof wet with a microfiber cloth. after rinsing the side and not thinking anything of it, I moved over to the other side and did the same thing. Rinsed off the roof and let it drip dry. Went inside to grab something to eat and came back outside, prepped the buffing pad with some liquid ice compound and started on the passenger corner. I looked at the roof and noticed what I thought may have been a spider web so I moved my hand over it and it didn't move. Closer look found it to be a scratch. I looked down the roof and there were more scratches all over the roof. I about threw my polisher across the garage. I must have had a particle of something between the 1500 and the roof.
I went to see my buddy to pick up my black paint along with my other items so I can fix this thing and explained what happened. He wasn't too pleased. I came back and pulled out the 500 grit and started to wet sand the roof down as I'm going to reshoot the roof this weekend. Needless to say it was a big kick in the balls. So today I'm cleaning the garage and masking off the car so I can hit this roof Fri or Sat morning. I'll clear coat it possibly the next day.

I was hoping to have the cut and buff process completed by Sunday but that's not going to happen. More to follow...
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Monte, I did the same to my roof but I was able to sand the scratches out. I didn't have to repaint. Are your scratches that deep? I know all to well about throwing that buffer across the garage. If the one I used didn't belong to a friend I think I would have on a few occasions. I have been waiting to see how you fix the chips or your rain gutter at the rear hatch. although I do not have chips I have burned threw my paint in a few spots and am not to sure how to fix small spots or any spots for that matter. Sad I have plenty paint just not sure what the process is.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
I suffered a setback yesterday. I had prepared the car to start cutting and buffing by removing the front turn signals, bonnet and such. So I got started with wet sanding the roof with 1500 grit. I was sanding with long strokes while moving down the side of the car keeping the roof wet with a microfiber cloth. after rinsing the side and not thinking anything of it, I moved over to the other side and did the same thing. Rinsed off the roof and let it drip dry. Went inside to grab something to eat and came back outside, prepped the buffing pad with some liquid ice compound and started on the passenger corner. I looked at the roof and noticed what I thought may have been a spider web so I moved my hand over it and it didn't move. Closer look found it to be a scratch. I looked down the roof and there were more scratches all over the roof. I about threw my polisher across the garage. I must have had a particle of something between the 1500 and the roof.
I went to see my buddy to pick up my black paint along with my other items so I can fix this thing and explained what happened. He wasn't too pleased. I came back and pulled out the 500 grit and started to wet sand the roof down as I'm going to reshoot the roof this weekend. Needless to say it was a big kick in the balls. So today I'm cleaning the garage and masking off the car so I can hit this roof Fri or Sat morning. I'll clear coat it possibly the next day.

I was hoping to have the cut and buff process completed by Sunday but that's not going to happen. More to follow...

Bummer on the scratches. Use a little dish soap in the water to help with the sanding, and flush the block clean repeatedly.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Monte, I did the same to my roof but I was able to sand the scratches out. I didn't have to repaint. Are your scratches that deep? I know all to well about throwing that buffer across the garage. If the one I used didn't belong to a friend I think I would have on a few occasions. I have been waiting to see how you fix the chips or your rain gutter at the rear hatch. although I do not have chips I have burned threw my paint in a few spots and am not to sure how to fix small spots or any spots for that matter. Sad I have plenty paint just not sure what the process is.

Bobnotch wrote:

Bummer on the scratches. Use a little dish soap in the water to help with the sanding, and flush the block clean repeatedly.

I have the roof sanded (used 500 grit) and masked off at the moment and will be picking up a few more plastic drop cloths in the morning before I get started.

69 Notchback, my scratched didn’t go thru all the way but in my attempts to wet sand then out, I wasn’t getting anywhere with it. At that moment I felt it best to just change the grit and re-sand the roof, lay another coat of black and re-clear. Will see what tomorrow in the AM brings then possibly Sat I’ll turn to shooting clear on it. As of the chips, my intent is after the black dries, I’ll peel back the lip and lightly sand the rear lip area with 500 grit. I’ll use a small brush and work the color back in the chips. Since I’ll be shooting clear, I’m going to re-mask the affected area lip and clear coat while doing the roof. I’m planning on laying down 5 coats of clear. I think I’ll get back to where it was before my hatch bit the lip. The edge where the masking will stop will get smoothed out during the cutting process (that’s what I’m telling myself anyway Sad )

Bobnotch, will use some soap next time around when I start the cutting process again. Thanks for the tip!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

That's Awesome Monte. I love your can do attitude. I have noticed threw your whole build that nothing slows you down Cool . I am still working on getting my headliner completed but so far so good I will post picks this weekend if I get a chance to finish it up.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Oh, man.. That sucks.
But,
Stuff always comes and rashes up a new car!
Murphy's law... Rolling Eyes

You _sure_ you don't want to wait until you got it more together before you go back to cut/buff?

I just see some more dings happening before it's all together.
Like those doors(!)
How you gonna get those doors on without more dings is beyond me.

Nice work.
I'm jealous as jealous you're at that stage of things.

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Oh, man.. That sucks.
But,
Stuff always comes and rashes up a new car!
Murphy's law... Rolling Eyes

You _sure_ you don't want to wait until you got it more together before you go back to cut/buff?

I just see some more dings happening before it's all together.
Like those doors(!)
How you gonna get those doors on without more dings is beyond me.

Nice work.
I'm jealous as jealous you're at that stage of things.

X2. BTDT spent time fixing it again. Rolling Eyes
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Since the last post I started here... Sanded the roof with 500 grit. masked the roof off and reshot the roof with black.

After the black I pulled the rear section of the drain lip. Sanded the chips then pulled my L633 paint can and mixed up the paint. Used a small brush and painted the smoothed out chip on both ends. Re-masked that area up and cleaned up the roof section. Today, I sprayed 5 coats of clear on the roof. Looks really nice and yes, I have a little orange peel but it looks sweet!

So I'm back to where I started. I'll press with cutting and buffing another section and leave the roof to harden/cure and do that part last.

I'll be starting this cut/buff process tomorrow. I don't expect to have it done in a day but would like to get this phase over and get the remainder of the car back together.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Lots have been going on here with putting the wagen back together. Since repainting and clearing the roof , cutting and buffing up the paint, I've been placing the directionals back on, headlights wired as well as getting the bumpers and hitch on.

Today, began the wiring up the harness under dash. What's been a little challenging is decoding the ISPW harness instructions with the diagram. I feel I have a good handle on it so I hope to get it taken care of.

Hope to get the harness sorted out tomorrow. Still need to get the windshield installed. AND the snow has fallen.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Lots have been going on here with putting the wagen back together. Since repainting and clearing the roof , cutting and buffing up the paint, I've been placing the directionals back on, headlights wired as well as getting the bumpers and hitch on.

Damn Monte, you've got that "rust bucket" Wink looking damn good. Cool It really looks good, and you can tell you've been busting your butt to get this far with it. I wasn't sure how the 2 toning wood look, but now that I've seen it, I have to say it looks great. Really nice work.
As for the wiring harness, you're basically going to have to spend some time with the ohm meter, and determine what color wire is now corresponding to what (might be easier to make your own diagram). I kind of had to do that on a buddies 66 Ghia, as he went to an aftermarket harness on it, and only bits and pieces of it matched the factory diagram. I suspect that's partly what you're running into. In the case of some wires, you might have to go off the stripe pattern to see if that helps match the factory wiring. Sometimes you just have to think about a work around for a problem that arrises.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Looks really good Monte!!

I dont think I have ever met you, but I live in Rapid also. Hip told me he was painting a square back for you. Good call on the two tone. You also had Rick do the seats right? Good guys to know.

I am picking up a VW blue '69 fasty in a couple weeks. I also have another one of those wheels if you are looking for one.

Let me know if you need any engine help, or if you want to build a conversion beam for this thing.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Looks really good Monte!!

I dont think I have ever met you, but I live in Rapid also. Hip told me he was painting a square back for you. Good call on the two tone. You also had Rick do the seats right? Good guys to know.

I am picking up a VW blue '69 fasty in a couple weeks. I also have another one of those wheels if you are looking for one.

Let me know if you need any engine help, or if you want to build a conversion beam for this thing.

Brian

Thanks Brian_e. When I took this project on, I told Hip I wanted him to paint the car. After all the work put in on this thing, his encouragement and mentorship in the bodywork department, he told me I was going to paint it. I wasn't a big fan of that as I didn't want to mess it up. But after getting the raptor liner sprayed on the shell, I was confident to take on the paint myself. He was there making sure I didn't jack it up and made it known when I did. Shocked You know what I mean! Laughing

I've seen your bug from your avatar in town. Nice looking ride. When the time comes, I may take you up on some tuning which has always been an interesting time for me. I've got have some bits you may be able to use on the fasty when it comes time to get it dialed in. At some point, we need to meet up.

Thanks again for the compliment.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

Thanks Brian_e. When I took this project on, I told Hip I wanted him to paint the car. After all the work put in on this thing, his encouragement and mentorship in the bodywork department, he told me I was going to paint it. I wasn't a big fan of that as I didn't want to mess it up. But after getting the raptor liner sprayed on the shell, I was confident to take on the paint myself. He was there making sure I didn't jack it up and made it known when I did. Shocked You know what I mean! Laughing

I've seen your bug from your avatar in town. Nice looking ride. When the time comes, I may take you up on some tuning which has always been an interesting time for me. I've got have some bits you may be able to use on the fasty when it comes time to get it dialed in. At some point, we need to meet up.

Thanks again for the compliment.

Sounds like you got on Hip's good side right off the bat. That is a good thing.

"Right On...."

Tuning dual carbs is my specialty! Let me know when you are ready. I have a portable wideband, and all the tools necessary.

I guess I need to change that pic. I sold the blue and white bug, and have this now.

I also built and sold this bus last year.

I did this one 2 years ago. It is running around town also.

The fasty will be later in the summer. I have to finish up a pan off bug before spring, get the next bus lowered and back on the road, and then the fasty. I am most excited about the type 3. It is the first one for me.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Been a bit since I last posted but have been doing some work on my square. I have the wire harness, gauges and my dash in-place. The front brake lines installed The add-on side marker lighting is also wired in. The only piece left are the fog lights. I'm currently working on a toggle switch console to add my switches. I was going to weld in a plate to the dash and am glad I didn't. More to follow on that.

I had the wife help with the windshield install but it turned out the lower corners were messed up so I had to remove the windshield again. My install also caused the headliner come off in different areas. So I'm taking a break from putting the windshield back in and wait for the glue to dry. I do have a pic of my door cards from my visit to my upholstery friend. The pocket is getting sorted out and also the arm rests. I made another set of rear top panels so he could use the Blue/black on it match the top of the front panel. Look forward to seeing it all come together.

The gas tank was probably the easiest thing I completed. The tanks was really clean on the inside as I think the PO had cleaned it up for the sale. I took the wire wheel to it and gave it several coats of paint so it's looking really nice. I also took the over-flow tube and cleaned it up and painted it.

I made my mods to my custom parcel tray to accommodate the steering column and the drain tubes. Just need to clean it all up and get it painted as well. I still need to get the rod for the master cylinder in place as well as the cover plates so I can get the lining for the carpet set up.

Still have a laundry list of items to complete. So back to work I go.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 75

Jump to: