Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

Put my air cleaner back in as I wanted to work on the extension piece that attaches to the shell. I have two rubber boot pieces. I tried to attach each one to both the extensions and the air cleaner with clamps added and they're not adding up. SO here's what I have...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Somewhere on the engine sits a bolt that went to the one of these clamps...

I looked over the blue book and I see the pics showing these clamps attached to the extensions and rubber boot. These are not attaching. Any recommendations?

The lower clamp in the pic above, goes to the black piece on the body, and not on the boot. You must have picked up an extra clamp while you were out parting cars. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

On one of my outings, I found a complete set of these angled caps for the distributor.

I was looking to swapping them out with the ones on my cables. I noticed the termination point on the cable is crimped.

Has anyone removed these and used/screwed in the angled ones?

The angled ends are actually for FI cars, but can be used on other type 3s. They are designed for solid plug wires though. You could either cut the end off your Bosch wires, and screw them on in place of the crimped end, or contact Jim Adney, and get 10 ft of spark plug wire from him, and make up a set of wires using the angled ends and your existing screw on spark plug ends. If you're using a tall distributor cap, then the angled ends are a better way to go, otherwise your existing plug wires will rub against the bottom of the hatch cover (the real reason VW went to the angled end). Just something to think about. Also, those ends ARE getting hard to find.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

On one of my outings, I found a complete set of these angled caps for the distributor.

I was looking to swapping them out with the ones on my cables. I noticed the termination point on the cable is crimped.

The angled ends are actually for FI cars, but can be used on other type 3s. They are designed for solid plug wires though. You could either cut the end off your Bosch wires, and screw them on in place of the crimped end, or contact Jim Adney, and get 10 ft of spark plug wire from him, and make up a set of wires using the angled ends and your existing screw on spark plug ends. If you're using a tall distributor cap, then the angled ends are a better way to go, otherwise your existing plug wires will rub against the bottom of the hatch cover (the real reason VW went to the angled end). Just something to think about. Also, those ends ARE getting hard to find.

I only have the set of angled ends that fit to the cap. I haven't checked the spark plug end. Not sure they screw out or are crimped as well. Might contact Jim and inquire on pieces to make a set.

I have the next couple of days off. During these next couple of days the brakes will get bled, oil added with some zinc additive and some fuel. I'm planning on doing an electrical shakedown with possibly turning the key for the first time in 2.5 yrs. Very Happy Shocked
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

I only have the set of angled ends that fit to the cap. I haven't checked the spark plug end. Not sure they screw out or are crimped as well. Might contact Jim and inquire on pieces to make a set.

I have the next couple of days off. During these next couple of days the brakes will get bled, oil added with some zinc additive and some fuel. I'm planning on doing an electrical shakedown with possibly turning the key for the first time in 2.5 yrs. Very Happy Shocked

On the Bosch plug wires, the spark plug end IS screwed onto the plug wires. This is mainly because the end has a resistor inside, that can go bad, hence the need to be able to replace just the end.

Good luck on the brake bleed and other stuff, as I know you're getting close. I normally use a battery charger for testing the car's electrical system. I only say that, as if I have a problem, I really don't want to drain the battery (and have to re-charge it). That, and with the battery charger, you can take your time checking things (I don't work as fast as I used too Wink ).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Damn, I didn't even think of that as my battery charger has been sitting on the bench right where I'm working and never gave it a thought. Must have been too focused on other things to think about that option. Thanks Bob. Oh, Will look into these angled caps.

I miss-placed the small fastener that holds the bar script in place. I'll be picking up some suitable replacements as well as some wire for the reverse light, oil, some brake fluid as well as some heater fluid as the temps are sucking at the moment and winds are picking up. Hopefully this afternoon/evening I can start on the electricals.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

I've used small squares of inner tube w/ice pick hole in the center for script fasteners.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Today I suffered a setback. While bleeding the brakes, one of the bleeder valves snapped off the rear brake cylinder. Two of the bleeder valves up front are hard to loosen and looks like I may have stripped them. I'm taking a break from this for a day or two while I source some new valves to replace all of them. I may need to get another set of cylinders for the rear as well.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I've used small squares of inner tube w/ice pick hole in the center for script fasteners.

I found a nice thick, rubber fender washer and plan on making some fasteners to secure that script on. Thanks Mike.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Stay positive MonT3. We have all seen you deal with much worse. Some days I feel like flicking matches at my square and others days are good but its a roller coaster of emotions for sure.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

you should be able to get some push nuts from your local automotive supplier
That's what was on the originals

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
you should be able to get some push nuts from your local automotive supplier
That's what was on the originals

I thought the originals were a nylon tube? If so, contact Lee Hedges, as I believe they are the same that the T-34 used for the VW script, along with the 1500, and "S" emblems. I'm pretty sure he's still got a few, as he had to buy a box of 1000 so he could do his own car(s).
Note: These are for the thin style pins used on early cars, and not the thicker pins like the front VW emblem uses.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Ok, re-energized. Yesterday I ordered some new brake cylinders from ISPW. Always great to deal with Anthony and Alex out there. So thins AM I'm getting into placing these stickers. I got all in place with exception of this one. I have three options and the Blue book didn't give me a clue on it's location for placement. I did see in the classified for glove boxes that these may have been placed in the inner door. However, I've it placed on both sides.

Does anyone know the true location of where it resides on the car? Also, I noticed the large sticker has more info than the smaller ones. Which re-popped one is THE closest one?

I have to make a trip to the local paint supply store so I'll be looking for the clips. Thanks for the pic!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Ok, re-energized. Yesterday I ordered some new brake cylinders from ISPW. Always great to deal with Anthony and Alex out there. So thins AM I'm getting into placing these stickers. I got all in place with exception of this one. I have three options and the Blue book didn't give me a clue on it's location for placement. I did see in the classified for glove boxes that these may have been placed in the inner door. However, I've it placed on both sides.

Does anyone know the true location of where it resides on the car? Also, I noticed the large sticker has more info than the smaller ones. Which re-popped one is THE closest one?

I have to make a trip to the local paint supply store so I'll be looking for the clips. Thanks for the pic!

Unfortunately those stickers are for a beetle, as called out on the 2 smaller ones, and the wrong tire size on the large one (type 3s didn't get 5.60's or 155's, they came with 6.00, or 165's.
That said, I believe putting the sticker on the left, on the inside of the glove box door is the correct place for it (type facing you).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Here's the glovebox lid on my 71 -- is it the same on a 67? Tire sticker on left, A/C sticker on right:

And a closeup of the tire sticker:

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

Unfortunately those stickers are for a beetle, as called out on the 2 smaller ones, and the wrong tire size on the large one (type 3s didn't get 5.60's or 155's, they came with 6.00, or 165's.
That said, I believe putting the sticker on the left, on the inside of the glove box door is the correct place for it (type facing you).

Well, that sucks. I guess there's an opportunity for a Sticker Stud to get a Type3 spec sticker right. Smile These'll go back into a bag and given to my bug friend.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Here's the glovebox lid on my 71 -- is it the same on a 67? Tire sticker on left, A/C sticker on right:

And a closeup of the tire sticker:

Thanks for sharing that sticker. That validates Bobs info. I haven't seen what a 67 would look like but I'm going to hold off on putting this on. Thanks again.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

No problem! I did notice the sticker has a 361, Squareback-only part number.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

In the last couple of days, I've been at some small things while I've been waiting for my brake cylinders to get in. I was notified they may be delayed due to the weather conditions in Co. Started by getting my tac in place

Then started on the vinyl for my parcel tray...

Got my strap sorted out and covered my engine lid. Will be stitching the hook in place today. Also need to trim the edges down.

Also pulled my mats to show Leo my set up versus his for reference.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild

Last edited by MonT3 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Thanks MonT3. The car is looking good. I like the individual Matt's I just went with over the tunnel as that is what I had as a teen. What do u have for the rear?my rear is also over the tunnel and the rear is where my mats look a little short.bit a bunch done yesterday but can't post picks at the moment.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Thanks MonT3. The car is looking good. I like the individual Matt's I just went with over the tunnel as that is what I had as a teen. What do u have for the rear?my rear is also over the tunnel and the rear is where my mats look a little short.bit a bunch done yesterday but can't post picks at the moment.

The rear ones are singles as well. Heading into the garage to finish off the parcel tray piece until I can get my material from the upholstery guy.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 75

Jump to: