Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I say the devil on your shoulder is the one saying "be lazy, leave the nose-cone like it is".

The angel wants everything right..!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Smile

Seriously, switching a nose-cone is EASY once you have the motor out.
The CV bolts are the only real 'labor' involved..

I keep destroying late 3:88 SSC 'lottery' transaxles with the Chainsaw 1914 in my Beetle,
And it needs the nose-cone swapped in order to make the switch.
Could do it now with a blind-fold on.
Would send you a nose-cone gasket from my stack of them, but used them all up! Embarassed

Just make sure to file any burrs off your hockey-stick first, and you'll be fine.

I know how intimidating 'opening up a trans' can be, but this ain't that.

Best place to store parts for your car that you 'want to run some day' is in place, on the car!
Otherwise, they can get lost in the shuffle..
Ask me how I know.. Embarassed Embarassed

Yeah, the angel and devil have me on the fence. The part that's making me lean to leaving it alone is the fact that the trans is not giving me any grief. Also, I have no guarantee that the thing will work properly. That's what making shy away from making the swap.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
you know there are other type of reverse light switches, right? there is the kind that goes on the back of the speedometer (It takes a little bit to kick the light on) and the other type that attaches to the linkage

just sayin...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1908561

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1755662

I searched and saw these options. One thing I didn't like about the speedo piece is that wiring needs to be run to make that work. Don't want to pull carpet to make that happen. With the switch at the coupler and mounted inside the tunnel I began to think about how the wiring routes out of the tunnel if the cover is placed back on. Do people dill a hole and route the wiring out of there or just leave the cover open?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Been cleaning and going thru the motor, looking for the source of my leak. I noticed my valve cover seals leaked so those will be getting replaced. As I was going thru the bolts and ensuring they were tightened, one of them seemed to spin. It didn't tighten down. I thought maybe the bolt was stripped so I started the back to the bolt out. When it came out, What looks like threading came with it. Like a helicoil or something. Or maybe the threading to the inside of the hole came with the bolt. This stud and bolt didn't tighten and now I'm faced with this issue.
Bolt in question...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Had anyone come across this scenario? Am I dealing with a helicoil that worked its' way out or do I have a stripped hole on the case?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

ask sjbartnik about the tunnel switch - he did it here --> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...;start=138
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

My motors valve adjustment has been completed and I've cleaned up some pieces as well as added a few small ones. Won't get to the run stand until early next. Tomorrow I'll be tackling a few other minor things as well playing (welding) on my trailer. A little teaser...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Looks like a helicoil -- check those threads with a magnet. If it's steel, it's a helicoil.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Looks like a helicoil -- check those threads with a magnet. If it's steel, it's a helicoil.

I'm thinking the same thing but they look small for a helicoil. That bolt isn't grabbing when I tried to insert it back in its spot. I may bore thru and use a longer bolt with a locking nut. Surprising to find it during my check. Will do the magnet test. Thanks for the tip!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Stay on it Mont. They are such a pleasure to drive. I built my car to drive. The wife and I logged 270 miles on the square yesterday. The thumbs up and people's reaction to it make all that hard work worth it in the end. The Rock chips and now it's first scratch are just part of its journey. Shows and trophies are cool ( for me validates all my hrs and hard work) but driving it is where it's at.
Cool
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:

To me, it looks more like pulled threads. That "helicoil" looking part reminds me of head studs being pulled out of a case , or upon removal of head studs from a case.

Monte, you might want to see if you can drill straight thru it, and go with a longer nut and bolt. I think trying to helicoil it would be problematic at best, and probably would need the case split to access it. Just my take on it. YMMV.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

These last couple of days I have been working several projects on the square my motor and my side project. I tried to insert one of the bolts that is used on the lower outer case. That didn't work. I tried this before looking at drilling thru the hole as there seemed to be thread in one part of the case. The bolt used was too long and was going to dig into the cooling rib on the other side so I stopped that and backed the bolt out. I took the stud and ran it thru and it grabbed but I wasn't able to get the torque needed. It's there.

I cleaned up my generator and painted it. Cleaned other pieces of the motor. My buddy came over, he wired up the motor and he worked his magic. We ran into a few things with getting the timing set which led to the recommendation and decision to revert to my 009. Once in place and timed, carb sync was next and one carb needs to be looked at as the air flow screw was not responding like the other so there must be some blockage or the screw is worn. It's also has another issue with introducing too much fuel. I'll need to rebuild that carb but its set. The motor runs well and with that rebuild It will run much better. On a good note, I found out one of my chokes was bad. That will get replaced and maybe i can have my chokes wired in afterwards.

Today after work, I'll be doing a once over before putting the motor back in and getting things wired back up.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Between my last post and last night I had a change of plans. Last week after brian_e came over and identified a problem with my #3 carb, I pull my stash of carbs out and decided to clean what I had and replace what may be suspect.

Brian recommended a ultrasonic cleaner. I've never owned one but have seen results on utube so I thought it may be a good investment.

I was extremely surprised with the results. My solution was 1 part Simple Green to 4 parts water. That thing cleaned my pieces up really nice and it was way better than scrubbing the parts after a bath with Berrymans. I pulled the carb apart and got the pieces cleaned and am now in the process of putting the carb back together.

Would like to put it back on the stand and tune it but it's going to have to go thru that process while installed.

With the 009 and no vacuum can in, I'm back to points. Was nice not having to think about them with that electronic ignition I had in the 205G so I may upgrade that setup down the road after some more reading into options. But for now, it's 009 w/points.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Not much to report on the engine going back in as I caved to the devil and am waiting for my parts to come in so I can swap the nose cone. Brian_e was kind enough to set me up with a donor trans so I removed the cone and am in the process of cleaning it up. Once my gasket and seal comes in, I'll make the swap and reassemble.

I've been working on my trailer as I'm waiting for my parts.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637316&postorder=asc

Two things I heave left to tackle is the wiper motor ground and the fuel sending unit ground. Going to make some small ground wires and set them up. More to follow on that.

Gotta get back in that car and drive it!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

This evening I decided to pull the trans. Since part is on the way, I want to get everything ready for it's arrival so I can get this thing back together and back where it's supposed to be. Wish I would a have done this while I was putting the trans back on the sub-frame while building the pan out. Anyhow.
Few pics...

Here's the donor trans and the hockey stick it came with. I thought the nose cone would have come off fairly simple. I had to raise the cover a little and work the stick out of what I think are the gear levers.

Some cleaning of the nose cone...

I have one question, when this goes back in, is this the position the stick needs to be in. The hole for the coupler would be facing straight down it the trans was level with the ground. Not sure I'm making sense here.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

The nose cone I was cleaning last night had some issues after looking it over. There seemed to be corrosion on the inner shaft where the hockey stick ran thru. Maybe that was part of it being a little stubborn making it’s way out when trying to remove it. So, I’m back at this…

I begin to remove the bolts holding the axles and spring plates and see if I can get at the nose cone tonight. The devil didn’t tell me it was going to be easy. Twisted Evil
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

I have the same ultrasonic cleaner, it's great for cleaning the fuel level gauge as well, never have to touch those fine wires and they come out shiny clean.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
beetlejc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

For the record: I thoroughly enjoy reading you posts here and watching your progress. Keep it up.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I have the same ultrasonic cleaner, it's great for cleaning the fuel level gauge as well, never have to touch those fine wires and they come out shiny clean.

I like that thing. Wish it was a bit bigger to handle other pieces though.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

beetlejc wrote:
For the record: I thoroughly enjoy reading you posts here and watching your progress. Keep it up.

Thanks Beetlejc. I'm learning from it all the time and it's fun to dig into things even if intimidating. This is about the most transmission work I want to get into. Laughing
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

This evening I went at it with the 67 trans I had mounted the sub-frame. I pulled out the impact and went at it. Once I removed the plate bolts that connected the shock mount area and the plates as well as the top shock bolt, I slid the axles out of the way tilted the trans up and moved the sub-frame out of the way.

Removed the bolts holding the nose cone bolts and then pulled the cone off. Super easy unlike the previous nose cone. The hockey stick came out without resistance as well.

I placed it in the ultrasound but it's too small so in a bin it went and I sprayed it down with Super Clean. Let it soak for a while and scrubbed it up.

What's interesting about this nosecone is that it's a little longer than the one in place at the moment. the cone on the left is a .211 F. the one on the right is .211.

At the end of the session...Hail the Victorious Few!

I going to clean it some more and hit it with a makeshift soda blaster, paint it and put it in place. Have parts due in tomorrow so I hope my gasket and seal arrive so I can get this thing going.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

With my newly arrived parts in hand, I got the trans together. Another interesting piece is the brass/copper coupler the seal fits into (at the end where the hockey stick extends outward) did not fit my nosecone. After looking at the nosecone, it looked like the .211F had a much more narrow inner diameter with no coupler and seal. The .211 nosecone inner diameter was much larger and the new coupler was too narrow to fit. I pulled the inner seal form the old coupler and fit the new one in there. Put the gasket in place, hockey stick in place, and fit the nosecone on. bolted up and placed the reverse sensor in place. After work tomorrow, it all goes back in place to get the square back on the road!

Tomorrow evening the car will be ready to put the motor back in! Twisted Evil
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 66 of 75

Jump to: