Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Nice work Monte. You'll have it going down the road pretty soon. Cool I'll have to check out your trailer thread when I get a chance.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nice work Monte. You'll have it going down the road pretty soon. Cool I'll have to check out your trailer thread when I get a chance.

Thanks Bob, I'm thinking by tomorrow afternoon I should be ready!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Slipped the transmission back in and got it secured.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Few things I have left to do tomorrow is to:
- Adjust the clutch cable
- Ensure the reverse light mounted to the bumper is grounded
- Attach the reverse light wire
- Slip in the motor
- Secure wires and heat tubes, .etc
- start and adjust carb
- Test drive and enjoy!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Yesterday was spent mounting the motor and getting cleaning up a few things. My motorcycle lift played a cruel trick on me as had sat the motor back a little on the lift so when I tried to move the motor forward and into place it would only go so far. I beat my head over and over trying to figure out what was causing motor to stop. Bolts not lining up, then I saw the issue. Once in, I bolted the thing up and wired it, primed the carbs and fired it up. Did a little adjustment and kept hearing a hiss. found the leak and got it resolved. I think I have it sorted out but with the temps high up there, my green light lit after a 30 min drive. I'm going to take it out again today and shake it down some more. Here's a vid of where It's at at the moment. She came out of the garage on her own power...

Here's a short clip of the motor running after tuning the carbs...
https://youtu.be/aRtP_FGJZ9I
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Since my fuel sending units weren't working when wired up, I decided it was time for them to take a bath in some nice warm Simple green via the ultrasonic cleaner for 30 minutes.

They came out really clean and the rust particles that were at the bottom of the tubes softened up and flowed right out of them when pouring out the fluid. The Ultrasonic continues to amaze! Once back together I slipped my original one back into the tank and secured along with a ground wired which I secured to the body of the car. Fuel gauge is back to operating!!

If the wiper motor was so nice to do the same.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

I bought one of those ultrasonic cleaners at Harbor Freight. Amazing is the right word!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Damn, that car is beautiful...

Never thought I'd say that about anything with headlight eyebrows...! Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment Clatter. Know it must be hard to overlook things to get the whole picture. I appreciate your intestinal fortitude! Very Happy
Yesterday I did a few things:
- Did some more tuning on the carbs. I’m still getting this hissing sound and I’m pretty sure Its from a vacuum leak. This evening that carb comes off and a close inspection takes place.
- Fuel sending unit issue persists. For some reason, the fuel sending unit wasn’t working again. I filled the tank and am getting only half tank registration from the gauge. It reads empty even with a half tank in it. I grounded the unit using one of the 5 bolts that secure the unit to the tank and the other end is where there is a ground location at the trunk wall and the spare tire area. I’d like to get that sorted out this coming couple of days off as well as getting the carb situation as well.
- Picked up some 10 gauge wire to complete my harness for the reverse light. I have on wire running from the sensor to the light. The other wire I need to run to the coil with an in-line fuse. I’m not sure if the one I’m going to use is the correct one for a 67 (blk twist barrel type with blade terminals on the outer ends to hook up the wire) but I’ve removed them some donor Squarebacks on my outings.
Hope to post some pics this evening on how far I get. Have a Happy and safe 4th of July folks!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Thanks for the compliment Clatter. Know it must be hard to overlook things to get the whole picture. I appreciate your intestinal fortitude! Very Happy
- Did some more tuning on the carbs. I’m still getting this hissing sound and I’m pretty sure Its from a vacuum leak. This evening that carb comes off and a close inspection takes place.
- Fuel sending unit issue persists. For some reason, the fuel sending unit wasn’t working again. I filled the tank and am getting only half tank registration from the gauge. It reads empty even with a half tank in it. I grounded the unit using one of the 5 bolts that secure the unit to the tank and the other end is where there is a ground location at the trunk wall and the spare tire area. I’d like to get that sorted out this coming couple of days off as well as getting the carb situation as well.
- Picked up some 10 gauge wire to complete my harness for the reverse light. I have on wire running from the sensor to the light. The other wire I need to run to the coil with an in-line fuse. I’m not sure if the one I’m going to use is the correct one for a 67 (blk twist barrel type with blade terminals on the outer ends to hook up the wire) but I’ve removed them some donor Squarebacks on my outings.
Hope to post some pics this evening on how far I get. Have a Happy and safe 4th of July folks!

Monte, that car looks beautiful. Congrats brother!

martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

Monte, that car looks beautiful. Congrats brother!

martin
allwagons

Thanks Martin. Appreciate the comments coming from guys that have been doing this for some time means a lot.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

A couple of evening pics from two nights ago...

Last night after work I closed the loop on my reverse lighting. Since the start of this project I was a bit leery of doing the nosecone swap but know I'm a happy camper as it all turned out really well. The wire used was 10gauge all around. The OG wires I had was too short to make the connections so new wire was acquired. I searched high and low in the local FLAPS for blade termination ends without the heat shrink sheaths, like the OG ones with no luck. So I used what I found and added an extra layer of heat shrink and connected my barrel-twist in-line fuse connector and wired the sensor to the coil. Turned the key, shift to reverse and success...

Although it's the 4th, I'm going to get back at it and enjoy a little garage time. I still have:
- Carb issue to look at
- More ground testing of the fuel sending unit
- Damn wiper motor grounding. Interesting read in the Blue book. It stated to replace the motor. I think eventually I'm going to pull the entire assembly out, separate the motor from the arms and crack that thing open. The switch has already been swapped out to rule out a burnt switch.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

I've been searching for the source of my fuel gauge not working and wanted to make sure my wiring is correct when coming from the gauge. I crawled under the dash and removed cluster back there. The one on the left of my pic was removed. It's next to the diagram picas I understand it. The one on the right is a backside depiction where I connected the respective wires. Am I off here. ?

When testing and driving, I get
- blinkers
- gauge illuminates
- I get Green and Red Gen light
- When I hit the high beam, blue does illuminate bit it also dims when back to low beam
- Haven't seen the far green illuminate yet. I understand this is the parking light

The diagram breaks down the K connections. Do I have this wired backwards? Should I be using the connection opposite of where I connected the brown wire? and swap the directions?

The sending unit is clean, wires in place and registers only a half some of the times then back to empty. I placed a Grnd wire on one of the mounting screws and grounded it to the body of the car. I get no change. I've followed other thread recommendation aside from the drilling and soldering another wire in or going to a site and ordering a new one. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Back to the garage and this effort.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

You have really built a nice car there!! Love those rear wheel skirts!!

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
I've been searching for the source of my fuel gauge not working and wanted to make sure my wiring is correct when coming from the gauge. I crawled under the dash and removed cluster back there. The one on the left of my pic was removed. It's next to the diagram picas I understand it. The one on the right is a backside depiction where I connected the respective wires. Am I off here. ?

When testing and driving, I get
- blinkers
- gauge illuminates
- I get Green and Red Gen light
- When I hit the high beam, blue does illuminate bit it also dims when back to low beam
- Haven't seen the far green illuminate yet. I understand this is the parking light

The diagram breaks down the K connections. Do I have this wired backwards? Should I be using the connection opposite of where I connected the brown wire? and swap the directions?

The sending unit is clean, wires in place and registers only a half some of the times then back to empty. I placed a Grnd wire on one of the mounting screws and grounded it to the body of the car. I get no change. I've followed other thread recommendation aside from the drilling and soldering another wire in or going to a site and ordering a new one. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Back to the garage and this effort.

No, you've got it correct. That's the way the wiring diagram shows it.

As for the park warning light, you might want to look at your light switch, and see if you're getting power out of it thru the wire to the bulb. I only say that, as the outside lights actually work correctly, so it might be either the wire or the bulb. That is unless you wired the warning light to remind you that the fog lights are on (t-34's are wired like this). Wink

As for the wiper motor, go ahead and disassemble it (unplug the battery first). I only say that, as I had to do that to my 71 Notch, as the grease inside had petrified, and was causing the motor not to function. Once I cleaned it out, and re-greased it, it was good to go. I also completely disassembled the entire wiper assembly, and greased every moving part of it (I do that on every T-3 that's been sitting a while, and I'm working on that part (wiper assembly)).

Since you have an extra float assembly, I think I'd send 1 to Jim Adney, and see if he can either find the problem with it, or maybe just have him rebuild one for you. You might be chasing a loose rivit, or an intermittan connection inside the sending unit. I've ran into both over the years. One I was able to brass shim the connection tight (before repops became available), and the other I tightened the rivit (being careful not to damage the thin wires). That's the thing, Jim now has the correct wire in stock, and has been rebuilding them for a few years, so if he breaks the wire, he can replace it. Very Happy
I hope this helps.

P.S. The car is looking beautiful. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Today I topped off the tank and went for a morning cruise and my fuel sending seems to have decided to operate. I had disconnected my ground cable I had attached as I was going to leave it as is until I can send Jim Adney my other unit to be rebuilt. The sudden operability of the existing unit in the tank is purely due to the tank being full but I’ll monitor it as the level drops to see if it sticks or drops completely which I expect. One thing I didn’t check on the float was if there was any damage to it like a crack or something that would possibly cause it to fill up loose its buoyancy. Either way, I’m sending Jim my other unit this week. Will be putting the car back on stands to address a valve adjustment and test out the third brake lighting. Little by little she’s dialing in.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild

Last edited by MonT3 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Nice work getting all the bugs worked out Mont! Tell me you have been putting some miles on her?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Nice work getting all the bugs worked out Mont! Tell me you have been putting some miles on her?

Thank 69Notchback. I have a few more to work out but I'm getting after them. I could have used the wipers a few days ago as I got caught in the rain without them. BUT I had no leaks from the windshield so I accepted the trade-off and made my way home. I've got about 130 miles on her and plan another 100 or so on Sat. Sorry to hear your motor issue and hope you get it dialed in quick.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Last night I did my valve adjustment. This morning I was messing with my third brake light which I wasn’t able to get working. I used a two-to-one blade terminal connector and tapped into the brake light on the taillight assembly thinking this would do it. Well, it didn’t. Prior to this test, I thought I might have a ground issue so I cleaned a spot on the inner bumper side where the light assembly mounts and tightened the light down. The bulb is a #1156 (single filament) which I felt would do the job. When I press the brake light, I get nothing from that side even though the assembly itself is grounded properly. I guess I might be running into bigger issues when the time comes to run the trailer harness.
- Is anyone running anything similar or aftermarket that may have tapped into the existing brake light wire?
- Does anyone have a pic or two of how they wired in their harness to pull a trailer? I’m planning on a 4-pin harness.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

This past Saturday was spent in Custer SD at the Gold Discovery Day Shine and Show. My wagen had a sweet parking spot and got a lot of attention and a ton of questions about it as some people just didn't know VW had put out a stationwagon long ago.

At the end of a hot day, the Squareback won the Mayors Choice Award.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Applause nice work Mont! The square is looking good...... Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 67 of 75

Jump to: