Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOW N SLOW66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same thing when I was cutting out the rot in my wheel wells too Smile
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
I have the inner rocker completed and just need to make a cut on the protective inner cover. The heat tube is ready to go as well. As I was cleaning up the rear portion where the rockers were going, I had to deal with the rot on the inner wheel well.
Met with a buddy who had a 68 body and took a look at the piece of the panel that has eluded me. Unfortunately, the piece was just as rotted as what I have. It was time to cut the rotted outer portion of the rear passenger wheel well. Along with that, I have a about 6 to 7 inches of the inner portion I need to get sorted out as well. I cut the metal from the seatbelt bolt off as it had bubbled up. Plan on blasting that area and placing a replacement piece in there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That seam in the middle of the wheel well...what was the thought with that?

Being able to use the outer half of the "tub" for other models. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a bit since my last update. was waiting for the rear wheel well to get in. Unfortunately the cut was a little short but I made the most of it. Using a piece from the carcass I was able to get a piece that would fit the space I cut out. I'm leaving the patch holes open so when it goes to the blaster, he can get that inner support pieces that need some attention. Didn't want to muck around with the triangle shapes so I removed some material to get a better patch in there...

The inner portion lines up pretty good...

And it's in...

So onto the passenger side rocker...
The piece is worse shape that the driver's side. I ended up cutting just under the door hinge. Like before, but this time the inner pieces were also rusted. I had a section and worked it in but need to clean that area up a bit more. The inner lower pillar piece I ended up using to tie the rocker in did the job. It'll be interesting in getting this pillar tied in. Gonna use the same method as the drivers side

Need to tie up the end as well. The inner rocker piece is spot welded in and the pan bolts mounted to ensure the heater channel tube is seated properly. I haven't secure it in place yet. The tube cover isn't completely done. Should get that taken care of this weekend if not during the week.

I might have this section completed next weekend barring any issues. I still need to expend the lower lip of the rocker to accept the outer skins. But I'll wait until I have this rocker completed before I start that. Look forward to having some buddies over for a fit test and see what I got myself into with it.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much respect to you for going the distance with this...
Major props.

I feel so much better about my project now.

That is SO much work.

What’s That Noise?!?
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great Monte! I know it's a ton of hard work, but you make this look like easy fun! Very inspiring for others. Good on ya.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Much respect to you for going the distance with this...
Major props.

I feel so much better about my project now.

That is SO much work.

bobnorman wrote:
Looking great Monte! I know it's a ton of hard work, but you make this look like easy fun! Very inspiring for others. Good on ya.

Thanks for the comments guys. I’m still having fun with it and learning more and more on how this shell was put together. As time is nearing for the fit test, I’m getting somewhat nervous on how the holes will line up as the shell sits on the pan. After a few beers and contemplating the next pieces to work in which are the rear corners, I pretty much replaced 85% of the bottom of the shell which attached to the pan…that’s crazy!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're making a lot of progress...my body work is in a similar state and I'm not doing the work.

Very similar areas being replaced on my car:

Keep going, Monte, and you'll be done before you know it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
You're making a lot of progress...my body work is in a similar state and I'm not doing the work.

Very similar areas being replaced on my car:

Keep going, Monte, and you'll be done before you know it!

That place is rough to work on. The contours and back-end of those brackets are a huge pain. Compound that with the corner rot that's in the lower corner. I'll be happy moving on from this area onto the rear corners of the shell. I popped a few holes in the metal trying to get it in place. How much more do you think you have done before you can get it blasted and back?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are a few small things left.

I took a complete, but rusty, 65 Variant body and the back half of another car for the metal work. The interior corners (under the back seat) in my car were fine so there was less work than what you had to do. I'm going out on the 26th to pick up the remains of the donor body and the body cart. I'll snap some more photos of the progress while I'm out there.

The engine area/rear bumper bracket area on my car was a complete mess and that's where most of the work has been once I got the bondo off the body shell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

I took a complete, but rusty, 65 Variant body and the back half of another car for the metal work. The interior corners (under the back seat) in my car were fine so there was less work than what you had to do. I'm going out on the 26th to pick up the remains of the donor body and the body cart. I'll snap some more photos of the progress while I'm out there.

The engine area/rear bumper bracket area on my car was a complete mess and that's where most of the work has been once I got the bondo off the body shell.

I'm heading to that area when I get done with the rocker. I was thinking on re-enforcing the bracket area so in the future I can add a hitch. I've seen the brackets that are normally an add-on when putting a hitch on and they seem to be straight forward. Just don't have any dimensions or anything on them but was thinking if I could get thicker gauge steel in there, I may not need to worry about finding the brackets to bolt on. Just a thought as I haven't put any real time in researching them but since I need to replace those areas, I might be able to do something while the corners are open.

Post some pics when you can. I'm sure you're getting anxious over getting the shell back in the garage.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

I'm heading to that area when I get done with the rocker. I was thinking on re-enforcing the bracket area so in the future I can add a hitch. I've seen the brackets that are normally an add-on when putting a hitch on and they seem to be straight forward. Just don't have any dimensions or anything on them but was thinking if I could get thicker gauge steel in there, I may not need to worry about finding the brackets to bolt on. Just a thought as I haven't put any real time in researching them but since I need to replace those areas, I might be able to do something while the corners are open.

Post some pics when you can. I'm sure you're getting anxious over getting the shell back in the garage.

There are quite a few photos of the car and some of the work that's been done here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1122757384851852032...8qmyvuy4YQ

Toward the bottom, you'll get to see the 30 or so pounds of Bondo that came off the car and the roughly dozen random metal patches with booger welds-all hidden under Bondo. I'll be uploading more pictures to the album as I get them.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

There are quite a few photos of the car and some of the work that's been done here:

Toward the bottom, you'll get to see the 30 or so pounds of Bondo that came off the car and the roughly dozen random metal patches with booger welds-all hidden under Bondo. I'll be uploading more pictures to the album as I get them.

Man, I just finished looking at your pics. At about #56 I began to get very humble on what you've had to deal with. Was the PO a cake decorator? Alot of slop was put on that body I didn't it needed to go.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Man, I just finished looking at your pics. At about #56 I began to get very humble on what you've had to deal with. Was the PO a cake decorator? Alot of slop was put on that body I didn't it needed to go.

I bought the car from a guy in Indiana who sent it off to a backyard mechanic to 'restore' it a couple of hours away from where he lived. The guy had never worked on a VW before, let alone an early Type 3. The motor was locked up, the trans was okay and the car was mostly stripped down already. I figured out real quick that some interesting work had been done on the car when the mechanic told me that he cut the heater vents out and was going to use the louvers from a space heater to replace them. I kept a straight face and cringed inside. I bought it because the front apron is perfect-never hit, the doors (N model specific right door) are perfect and the hood (N model/early Type 3) is also perfect without dents/rust. It was worth what I paid for it in parts.

I went and looked at it during a snow storm, got a 'feel' for the car...checked the trouble spots, did the magnet test (it failed at the rockers) and noticed a few things. We negotiated price on the spot (I was there with a trailer and cash...) and I took the car away.

Got it home and didn't do a whole lot to it until about 18 months ago (I bought the car in 2010). The pan was like swiss cheese once I removed the tar boards. I got curious about the rockers so I hit them with a wire wheel and things got interesting. I spent the better part of two full days (10 hours) with wire wheels removing Bondo. Any place that looked 'too perfect' for a backyard mechanic to accomplish was hit with the wire wheel and Bondo was found. Conservatively, I removed 20# of Bondo from the body. I went through five wire wheels.

I give the dude credit-he was a master with Bondo. All of the panels lined up perfectly.

I think what you're doing is far more impressive...I just stripped the car, took off some Bondo and sent it off for body work. Paying someone else to do it doesn't require nearly as much talent. Very Happy
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Man, I just finished looking at your pics. At about #56 I began to get very humble on what you've had to deal with. Was the PO a cake decorator? Alot of slop was put on that body. I didn't think it needed that much work in earlier pics.

I bought the car from a guy in Indiana who sent it off to a backyard mechanic to 'restore' it a couple of hours away from where he lived. The guy had never worked on a VW before, let alone an early Type 3. The motor was locked up, the trans was okay and the car was mostly stripped down already. I figured out real quick that some interesting work had been done on the car when the mechanic told me that he cut the heater vents out and was going to use the louvers from a space heater to replace them. I kept a straight face and cringed inside. I bought it because the front apron is perfect-never hit, the doors (N model specific right door) are perfect and the hood (N model/early Type 3) is also perfect without dents/rust. It was worth what I paid for it in parts.

I went and looked at it during a snow storm, got a 'feel' for the car...checked the trouble spots, did the magnet test (it failed at the rockers) and noticed a few things. We negotiated price on the spot (I was there with a trailer and cash...) and I took the car away.

Got it home and didn't do a whole lot to it until about 18 months ago (I bought the car in 2010). The pan was like swiss cheese once I removed the tar boards. I got curious about the rockers so I hit them with a wire wheel and things got interesting. I spent the better part of two full days (10 hours) with wire wheels removing Bondo. Any place that looked 'too perfect' for a backyard mechanic to accomplish was hit with the wire wheel and Bondo was found. Conservatively, I removed 20# of Bondo from the body. I went through five wire wheels.

I give the dude credit-he was a master with Bondo. All of the panels lined up perfectly.

I think what you're doing is far more impressive...I just stripped the car, took off some Bondo and sent it off for body work. Paying someone else to do it doesn't require nearly as much talent. Very Happy

I missed a few words on my previous post and the comment was totally lost...sorry. I corrected it Embarassed

I sincerely appreciate the compliment. I haven't done anything like this since my dads 74 Monte Carlo was worked on back in 84 but nothing to this magnitude. I have to say that guy worked the putty well. Your shell will get the treatment it needs. I took this on as I needed to get my hands dirty once again to make up for lost time and it needed it. It's been a good experience considering the issues faced. I can't complain about it as old cars have issues. Just hope the end result is what I envision.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the passenger rocker together. The heater vent corner was put together a little different than drivers side. Was easier to put together but the I had to build a little of the inner piece to tie it all together. After drilling holes in the inner rocker to weld the pieces together, I was able to get the top and bottom edges lined up and welded in.

Should have the outer skin trimmed down and ready for a door fit test tomorrow. Have some cleaning up to do on the welds and should also have the corner closed up ahead of the vent completed as well. I'm really close!! Razz If my fit tests work out, I'll spend a few days closing all the spot welds up as well as grinding Sad
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Got the passenger rocker together. The heater vent corner was put together a little different than drivers side. Was easier to put together but the I had to build a little of the inner piece to tie it all together. After drilling holes in the inner rocker to weld the pieces together, I was able to get the top and bottom edges lined up and welded in.

Should have the outer skin trimmed down and ready for a door fit test tomorrow. Have some cleaning up to do on the welds and should also have the corner closed up ahead of the vent completed as well. I'm really close!! Razz If my fit tests work out, I'll spend a few days closing all the spot welds up as well as grinding Sad

It's looking good Monte. Cool It seems to be going a lot quicker than the left side did too (must be experience Wink ). As long as all your bolt holes line up, you should be good to go. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bobnotch. That's the true test - will the holes line up? I'm heading to the garage at the top of the hour to clean up the front portion and trim the outer skin for the door fit test. I guess I can also remove the braces now too as it was becoming a pain dancing around in there while working. More top follow...
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vent area cleaned up well and I trimmed up the backend, trimmed down the outer skin and did the first door fit test.

Looks like I need to trim a little more to close that gap.

This is the stressful part - hopefully I won't over-trim the piece. Taking a break to look it all over. More to follow
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
The vent area cleaned up well and I trimmed up the backend, trimmed down the outer skin and did the first door fit test.

Looks like I need to trim a little more to close that gap.

This is the stressful part - hopefully I won't over-trim the piece. Taking a break to look it all over. More to follow

Yup. It's better to take a little off, and do multiple test fittings, than trim too much off, and have to build those areas back up. This is where that 90* mini angle grinder comes in handy. Wink If you leveled out the gap in the "B" post area (that you have at the front of pic #3), you'd probably have that end pretty close. It might need another 1/16th taken off, but you'd be close to having a good gap.
How's the fit on the rest of the door? If it's good, then you just need to move the rocker up about 3/16ths of an inch to be good. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could just be my car,
But,

It did seem that the gap all along the bottom of the doors was a bit bigger than all the other gaps at the top and sides.

FWIW,
Might pay to find an OG car to look at...

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 75

Jump to: