Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Basic Cylinder to case sealer question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim_1911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Basic Cylinder to case sealer question Reply with quote

I've read that Permatex Aviation can be used to seal the cylinder to the case. My cylinders did not come with paper gaskets, and I've also read it is fine to leave them out. Where exactly do I need to put the sealer? On the sides of the cylinder or the bottom edge where it seats in the case?

This is a stock SP 1600.
webebuggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ve always used Permatex "Ultra Copper "sealant , under my cylinder bases,with good luck and no leaks.Just make sure the cyl. base and case spigot areas are super clean. A bead of this stuff,the width of the cyl. base is suffient,and when they are torqued down,u have a nice bead around the cyl. base..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tim_1911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I figured you put it on the edge but wasn't sure.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no pressure there except for crankcase operating pressure. Any leak with be seepage.

Some claim VW says to use silicone in this location, I've never seen a VW service bulletin that states such information. The Bentley manual states only to use the paper gasket.
Tom Wilson in his book says to use Permatex 3H http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automo...lant_a.htm along with the paper gasket. He also says that the Permatex 3H or silicone alone will seal the joint. 6

I tend to go with the theory that silicone ANYWHERE on an air cooled VW engine without an aftermarket full flow oil filter is a major major no no.

I use Hylomar and am pleased with the results. No leaks, it has a degree of flexibility to it and is also easy clean up. No fears of hardened globs getting sucked up by the oil pump and gumming up the oil passages either.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-85249-Hylomar-Universal-Dressing/dp/B0018PSATY

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultra Grey for me.... Wink
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you use, use it sparingly. You don't need big gobs of the stuff oozing out from under the barrels.
tim_1911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such a small surface area I'm thinking a BB size drop would cover 1 cylinder. Am I close?
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is to run a bead about 1/16" wide all the way around the base of the cylinder where it seats against the case. Just snip off the very end of the plastic dispenser cone thingy on the tube of sealant.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vgajames wrote:
Ultra Grey for me.... Wink

1+ here works perfect.
I like to let the engine sit for atleast a day after installing the jug to let the silicone dry. I had one that I added oil and cranked within a couple hours of installing the jugs, and it seeped some.
Like said above, be extra carefull with sillycone if you don't have full flow flitration.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim_1911 wrote:
With such a small surface area I'm thinking a BB size drop would cover 1 cylinder. Am I close?

Yes.... Sealing surface only needs to be "wet" with sealer any thing more is a problem...

And there is nothing wrong with silicone RTV if uses sparingly (and correctly)...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
tim_1911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate all the advise. I do not have a filter so I'll be very careful with the amount.
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW issued the service bulletin in the early seventies to STOP using the paper gaskets and start using silicone.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method is to place the gasket on a piece of clean cardboard with Permatex 3H and brush around the gasket, both sides, if no gasket used, i brush around the base of the cylinder.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockCrusher wrote:
VW issued the service bulletin in the early seventies to STOP using the paper gaskets and start using silicone.

RC

Yep, heard this for years. You'd think with the miracle of digitizing information that a copy of said service bulletin would have surfaced by now. Until it does, to me it's all urban legend and hearsay.
People often hear something and without any documentation parrot it as rock hard fact.

Question, why doesn't my Type I service manual printed in 1976 mention this?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
RockCrusher wrote:

RC

Yep, heard this for years. You'd think with the miracle of digitizing information that a copy of said service bulletin would have surfaced by now. Until it does, to me it's all urban legend and hearsay.
People often hear something and without any documentation parrot it as rock hard fact.

Dave
That info comes directly from Gene Berg.....good enough for me.

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockCrusher wrote:
djkeev wrote:
RockCrusher wrote:

RC

Dave
That info comes directly from Gene Berg.....good enough for me.

Still waiting for the bulletin to appear, sorry.
Gene Berg's reputation as a great VW wizard is legendary. Even modern Legends can be, and at times are, sincerely wrong.

I guess my thinking is that silicone is known to be a hazard to the oil passages in ACVW without a modern oil filter installed. I don't need outside documentation for this, I've got proof from personal experience with a #1 main seized on an engine that was floating in excess silicone. Pieces were found in the oil passages when I trashed the case!

Why the heck take the risk of introducing silicone into a case where the possibility exists of it finding it's way through the oil pump and into the lubrication system, no matter how small the chance is? There are other products that do as well if not better than silicone. Why assume that risk?

In my mind it is pure folly!

Silicone is quite possibly the most misused, overused and trouble causing modern product. Be it in sealing auto parts to sealing house roof leaks and windows. It has very severe limitations and will adhere to only certain products and can only withstand certain temperatures and environmental conditions (depending upon it's type) but almost everyone regards it as some sort of miracle all purpose sealant! Add to this the "if a little is good then naturally more is better" mentality and you've got instant disaster.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
kevhum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walking around the pits at sac bugorama I've seen quite A bit of red silicone between cylinders and the cases,but like A friend said they aren't driving them every day.Just quarter mile here and there.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Silicone is quite possibly the most misused, overused and trouble causing modern product. Be it in sealing auto parts to sealing house roof leaks and windows. It has very severe limitations and will adhere to only certain products and can only withstand certain temperatures and environmental conditions (depending upon it's type) but almost everyone regards it as some sort of miracle all purpose sealant! Add to this the "if a little is good then naturally more is better" mentality and you've got instant disaster.

Dave, your gripe is with misuse, not use... if the service bulletin went to dealer mechanics, it's a fairly safe assumption that the service techs would use it properly... I've never had a problem using RTV, but I use it properly and appropriately...

GEX has. Just sayin
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTV works great!! I like the speed chanel& espn2 with the dragracin...as for cylinders never used silocone,Ill give it a try.Ive used halomar,no leaks,518, no leaks, mercrusier perfect seal. no leaks(I wish I had smore more of that stuff.)
Mooosman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three-Bond #1211. I've used it on barrels, case halves, head studs, etc. Use just enough to make a very thin film, let it set up a minute, and put it together. I've never had a leak using it, on any VW or motorcycle engine I've used it on.

Japanese motorcycle makers have used Three Bond for decades, with no gaskets and with no leaks. If it works in those applications, it'll work on an ACVW.

Nick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: