Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VANGAUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

We have a factory radio in our Subaru that has a weather band and we use it a lot when weather conditions look a little suspicious.

Since the original factory radio in our '91 Westy Vanagon had become pretty flaky as to when it would work, I looked to purchase a new radio for our Vanagon and really wanted one that wasn't flashy, matched the dash of the van, and had the weather band feature.

Through a lot of searching and some luck, I found a radio with AM/FM/CD/MP3 and weather band and remote control all in one unit that fits and looks like it belongs in the Vanagon.

It is not a brand that I have heard of but found it for sale on a site that sells heavy duty radios for big trucks, buses, etc. I searched for the manufacturer, called them, asked questions and purchased one of their models (CSS-5920E) directly from them.

To see all of their radios, go to: Custom Radio Corporation http://customradio.net/us_en/products-page/truck/
In addition to the radio I purchased, they also have radios without the weather band feature, some with USB, DVD, SD, or 512M Flash memory. If interested in ordering from them or asking questions, call the number (1-800-659-8093) at the bottom of their product page and you will probably talk to Sherry.

For a more detailed description, see: Big Rig Stereo at http://www.bigrigstereo.com/details_5920e.html However, their price is almost double the factory direct purchase price or the price from Ryder Fleet Products.

The face plate is the exact size as the original radio in our '91 Westy and the depth of the radio is almost exactly the size of the original radio so there was no problem making the radio fit. The visibility of the radio's information panel from the drivers and passenger seat is very good and you can easily see the information screen while driving.

Costs from Custom Radio Corporation were as follows and you need to call them directly at 1-800-659-8093 to get the prices below.
Radio -- CSS-5920E $124.25
Remote Control -- CSS-10 $7.00
Shipping varies by location

You will also need an adapter for the antenna if you have the original European version antenna. Since the radio has two power wires (main and accessory) you do need to tie in to the key-in wire from the ignition switch. After that, when the key is out, the radio is off. The remote control has a power on/off button so the remote works fine when the key is in. Of course, if you wired the unit so that the main and accessory wires are always hot, then the remote can turn the unit on/off without the key being inserted.

To complete the installation, I purchased the following from an ebay seller
Wiring Harness Adapter -- Metra 70-1784 for $4.75 delivered
Antenna Adapter --- Metra 40VW10 for $4.95 delivered
And purchased the Metra CCL1614 Crimp Caps from my local Crutchfield store. The crimp caps make connecting the wiring harnesses a snap.

On my '91 Vanagon, there are two original connectors (one for speakers and the other for power). The included factory harness on the CSS-5920E has one connector, but it incorporates both speakers and power wires in one plug-in. But, the original two connectors in my Vanagon will plug into the connection on the back of the unit. Had I easily been able to remove the accessory wire (#4) with an inline 1 amp fuse from the CSS-5920E harness and insert it into position #4 on the original power harness, I would not have needed the Metra harness I referenced.

Below is the connection diagram from the CSS-5920E manual. Notice optional connectors #3 & #6. Tech support at Custom Radio said they were for use on Navistar and Daimler (Freightliner) trucks. Obviously, I did not use them nor did I use the #3 gray (illumination wires) on the original harness since I was afraid it might harm the radio.

From the pictures on Custom Radio's site or on Big Rig Stereo, the identifier in the middle of each button has a slight green tint. This is not visible in the daytime, but is at night which allows you to easily operate the radio.

The black color and the white & silver trim matches the knobs, levers, etc. on the dash and I think the radio looks like it came with the van. Below are pictures of the installed radio turned on and off.

While I have only used it for a few days, AM and FM reception is very strong, the CD players works great, and I have not used the MP3/WMA input. The 7 channel weather band feature works and has less static than the one in the Subaru. Oh, and the radio has plenty of power at 45 watts per channel (4) --- much more power than I need for the factory speakers.

For those interested in specifications, see below for what was in the manual with the radio. From what I have been told, don't buy a radio on specs alone since they may not accurately represent what a radio will do or sound like.

Hope this helps someone looking for a radio with a weather band.

Harold

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by VANGAUX on Sat May 05, 2012 6:16 am; edited 6 times in total
Drifty84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this. It looks right for the Vanagon and has all the features anybody could want, especially the WB. Thanks for passing this along.
Vano Shifter fix kit
RMW Stainless Exhaust
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at specs on bigrig, I see this:

"Tuner & Audio Presets Retained in memory;
Disconnecting power to IGN & Battery lines, radio still
retains tuner & audio presets"

If I'm not misunderstanding....

If one wired a switch to kill trickle power to radio, (e.g. all power to radio disconnected) the presets won't disappear? Nice feature for a Westy; some Westies sit unused for longer periods of time.

Harold: do you find that the mute button is easy to see and find? Looking at image, it appears to be the case. I like that and the rotary knobs for volume and tuning!

Neil.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at their website, I see they also have a unit that seems the same size and includes DVD-playing capability. Still with the weather band as well.

http://customradio.net/us_en/products-page/mobile-dvd-players/

Would this be a suitable installation to wire with a drop-down screen in the back?

---

Kathy
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean this has actual tuning & volume knobs?

and it's not in a bright ass night vision killing blue?
or dancing dazzling light show when playing?

it just plays music, can set an alarm & even informs of impending tornados?

what was the price point on this unit? though I am curious to the DVD player but I'd like HD to match my HD TV desires.

I think I'll get one when my $dollar tree blooms..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VANGAUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the mute button is easy to see and use. Comes in quite handy at times. I have not disconnected the battery to see if indeed it does retain the presets, but have no reason to doubt the specs on the bigrig site. I could do that if someone needed to know that before purchasing or you could just ask Sherry before purchasing.

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Looking at specs on bigrig, I see this:

"Tuner & Audio Presets Retained in memory;
Disconnecting power to IGN & Battery lines, radio still
retains tuner & audio presets"

If I'm not misunderstanding....

If one wired a switch to kill trickle power to radio, (e.g. all power to radio disconnected) the presets won't disappear? Nice feature for a Westy; some Westies sit unused for longer periods of time.

Harold: do you find that the mute button is easy to see and find? Looking at image, it appears to be the case. I like that and the rotary knobs for volume and tuning!

Neil.
The Raven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenson used to supply something similar. Although good in theory it was subject interference and the range was rather poor. These pretty good on weak stations?
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB and I'd pay twice the price
VANGAUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
USB and I'd pay twice the price

Your wish is granted. Go to their link http://customradio.net/us_en/products-page/truck/ and you will see 3 of their radios with USB. One with USB, one with USB and 512K Flash memory, and one with USB and SD slot.

Harold
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Neil.

I did that on my nakamichi head unit. Hidden kill switch = no battery drain
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the BUS models with the built in PA. Cool
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: radio Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Since we are on weather radio, you can keep any radio you like. I just put in a cobra CB with weather radio in it. And now I can talk to all the truckers , here where all the cops are and find out about the road conditions! Cool! Very Happy ps it has a PA to.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Milfordite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the web site from the link you supplied, and the cost for the radio is listed at about $225. You paid half that? Nice score! Also, I don't know crap about radios and that stuff, am I thinking right that if there is a USB port, I can plug in my Ipod and it will charge while playing? I have an aux. input in my Mini and the Ipod works fine, but runs down the battery in the device. Can someone clear this up for me?
Thanks..I'm needing a new radio for my Westy and this one looks like an geezer like me could actually operate it.
VANGAUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to call Custom Radio Corp at 1-800-659-8093 and ask for sales (Sherry) to get the prices below.
Radio -- CSS-5920E $124.25
Remote Control -- CSS-10 $7.00
Shipping varies by location

Harold

Milfordite wrote:
I looked at the web site from the link you supplied, and the cost for the radio is listed at about $225. You paid half that? Nice score! Also, I don't know crap about radios and that stuff, am I thinking right that if there is a USB port, I can plug in my Ipod and it will charge while playing? I have an aux. input in my Mini and the Ipod works fine, but runs down the battery in the device. Can someone clear this up for me?
Thanks..I'm needing a new radio for my Westy and this one looks like an geezer like me could actually operate it.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find !
And the Metra adapters too!

Does it work with the original "common ground" for rear speakers, or does it require to re-wire them?

JMR
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are here does it have the 2-pre amp output cables for a remote amp?
VANGAUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine with the original speakers without rewiring them. In fact, had it not been for the need for an accessory wire to the radio, I could have used the original radio wiring harness. And, had I known what I was doing, I could have made a work around for that issue but I was ready to install it and already received the Metra harness so I used it.

jmranger wrote:
Great find !
And the Metra adapters too!

Does it work with the original "common ground" for rear speakers, or does it require to re-wire them?

JMR
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold,

This looks really nice, thanks for this post!

I esp. like how it looks retro/vintage to fit our older vans, yet has some modern amenities like USB and aux and decent power. I never really liked my Alpine deck, with the blue neon light and goofy controls. It may be time for a switch.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This radio sure looks like it was meant to be in the Vanagon.

I was looking to find the sensitivity and the selectivity for these radios, but couldn't find the information. I thought I read somewhere that a low (dBf?) number for sensitivity is good while a high number for selectivity is good. Does that sound right?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope according to the PDF owners manual http://www.bigrigstereo.com/CSS_6500_Owners_Manual.pdf
found thru the http://www.bigrigstereo.com/css.html site..

morymob wrote:
While we are here does it have the 2-pre amp output cables for a remote amp?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: