Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Fiberglass Console? (With Pix)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yearzero777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: DIY Fiberglass Console? (With Pix) Reply with quote

So i'm wondering how hard it is to play with fiberglass? Anyone had newbie experiance?

Here's what I want to make....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Big Hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife says you should take that to a shop and have it sprayed with Rhino-Liner! It should last a long time and be strong enough to lay your fiberglass matting on to form it. How's that for newbie experience? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scratchs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

empi makes consoles that look something close to what you have already made. By time you buy everything you need to make one you maybe better off buy one. Fiberglass is nasty stuff and takes alot time and skill. You could always build it out of wood and wrap it it carpet or speaker grill cloth which is much easier to work with. Good luck
yearzero777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scratchs68 wrote:
empi makes consoles that look something close to what you have already made. By time you buy everything you need to make one you maybe better off buy one. Fiberglass is nasty stuff and takes alot time and skill. You could always build it out of wood and wrap it it carpet or speaker grill cloth which is much easier to work with. Good luck

I have this theory that when our parents said we can do anything if we put our mind to it and learn, then anything is possible. Hell, I never thought I would rebuild a Beetle, but after 4 months, she's almost done!!

If this goes well then i'm thinking a fiberglass headliner with a monitor is in the works!!
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all your corners are too sharp for fiberglass. Use what you have as patterns and get some 1/4" plywood from Lowes and replicate it and then you can round the edges with sandpaper and then cover it with vinyl or spray it with Rhino lining or something like that. If you cover it in vinyl, cover it in 1/4" foam first.

Here's mine. Not quite complete

Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yearzero777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scratchs68 wrote:

I have this theory that when our parents said we can do anything if we put our mind to it and learn, then anything is possible. Hell, I never thought I would rebuild a Beetle, but after 4 months, she's almost done!!

If this goes well then i'm thinking a fiberglass headliner with a monitor is in the works!!
Steeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a lot of fiberglass and your design is going to be very difficult to do especially for a beginner. However if you do decide to go for it tape the entire piece up with masking tape... then coat the piece with regular car wax. The wax acts as a releasing agent for the resin. Paint on a nice thick coat of resin and apply the glass... do a couple coats that way. When it's dry the glass should lift right off your mold.

I should also say though your console would be better made out of wood. That would be a very difficult piece to do even for a pro.
yearzero777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeze wrote:
I have done a lot of fiberglass and your design is going to be very difficult to do especially for a beginner. However if you do decide to go for it tape the entire piece up with masking tape... then coat the piece with regular car wax. The wax acts as a releasing agent for the resin. Paint on a nice thick coat of resin and apply the glass... do a couple coats that way. When it's dry the glass should lift right off your mold.

I should also say though your console would be better made out of wood. That would be a very difficult piece to do even for a pro.

I plan on making it in a few pieces. The majoity of the console, plus large storage space.... Then mold the cup holders, and dremel to fit, then apply more fiberglass to strengthen the console.... Then paint.... I'm thinking red with LED'sin the cup holders and storage..... Not many. Found out these little 2.5V LED's aren't for the weary!
'96 Chevy Tahoe LT
'98 Nissan Altima SE
Robbo112233
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wont it be tricky to get to the handbrake? Or do you have tiny hands? Laughing

Beetle Bums VW Club member

Archie's Photo Gallery
Jamies74sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do it if it comes out good keep it not like your going to to sell them it's your time . Show everybody u can do it .
yearzero777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamies74sb wrote:
Just do it if it comes out good keep it not like your going to to sell them it's your time . Show everybody u can do it .

That's the spirit!! I like you already James Very Happy
'96 Chevy Tahoe LT
'98 Nissan Altima SE
Steeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely possible...

I will suggest some body filler to smooth it all out. Bondo's fine for this application.

Good luck with it.. remember to wear latex gloves and as a tip I like to masking tape the handles of my tools. It makes for an easy clean up....

Im not trying to discourage you... take your time and enjoy it.
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyboat wrote:
all your corners are too sharp for fiberglass. Use what you have as patterns and get some 1/4" plywood from Lowes and replicate it and then you can round the edges with sandpaper and then cover it with vinyl or spray it with Rhino lining or something like that. If you cover it in vinyl, cover it in 1/4" foam first.

Here's mine. Not quite complete

That is a seriously awesome dash!!! Some day I'd really like to build a different dash for my super. I've been thinking about cutting the gauge pod and widening it to fit two standard speedos then converting one of them to a tachometer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: