Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upholstery help.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Upholstery help. Reply with quote

Hi, the recent purchase of a 1971 Super has given me all sorts of neat stuff that it came with. One in particular are the two front reupholstered seats and the back seat which back rest isn't upholstered fully. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some sort of how to or something about what goes where during upholstering the back seat. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mschulze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upholstery is pretty straight forward....that being said, there are many approaches you could take. I just finished sewing new covers for all my seats myself and doing a complete reupholstering job.

I painted everything fresh, installed burlpap over the springs, then padding (whether you use foam or fiber mats is your decision - i used memory foam and it looks perfect) and then the seat.

My Car's Thread -- http://www.rosecityvolksters.com/smf/index.php/topic,2092.0.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbugs sells a DVD for about $20 that shows you how to do the whole interior from headliner to carpet, including the seats. Well worth it. Shows how simple it is to do.
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into that dvd idea. The two front seats as well as the back seat bottom are pretty much done for me. (Bought the bug with them finished) It's the back seat backrest part that isn't together. One side of it wasn't sewn together or more like stitches removed on purpose. There's velcro on the corners, these pleather pieces of fabric looking as though they were going to be sewn in place of the side pieces. These are pictures of what I have to work with. Was like this when I bought it from the previous owners.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtdorajohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your back seat does need some help...

in picture two, the spikes sticking out are there to spike the upholstery to if it was sewn correctly. the upholstery should have an additional piece that curves around the back and is spiked into the area shown in picture two.

Once the front of the back is in place, most leave the spring area open and raw.

They also sell a carpeted piece that fits over the raw back as well that you can adhere some strong board (the same stuff pegboard is made of) to the back of the carpet and use the metal strip across the top of the back seat to screw it into place.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "new" cover is just A slip cover,, its made to go over the old one.. the person you got it from was working on making it into A real cover,, the extra pieces you have are cut/removed from the stock cover and were going to be sewn to the new slip cover.... I did the same with my car, only I didn't use the stock pieces of vinyl, instead I used carpet Cool to match the rear cover panal, when the seats down its all carpeted Very Happy
dualref
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I did my seats I did the following which you may find helpful.

I laid down a thick layer of cotton duck material that had been washed and dried several times before cutting to fit. I put this material on the seat springs before adding the horsehair forms on the seat. This prevents any of the horsehair (as it's sometimes called) from falling out of the seat onto the floor. Plus it keeps the seat from squeaking.

Before working with the vinyl, I laid it out on my driveway in the sun for a few hours. It makes the vinyl much more pliable and easier to work with.
It's also a bit "stretchy" when hot. When it cools it tightens up giving a very tight fit with no wrinkles whatsoever.

When I stripped my seats down to the bare springs, I painted the frame with Rustoleum paint to prevent any future rust. There was some minor rust on the seat coils which a wire brush quickly removed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw_hank wrote:
The "new" cover is just A slip cover,, its made to go over the old one.. the person you got it from was working on making it into A real cover,, the extra pieces you have are cut/removed from the stock cover and were going to be sewn to the new slip cover.... I did the same with my car, only I didn't use the stock pieces of vinyl, instead I used carpet Cool to match the rear cover panal, when the seats down its all carpeted Very Happy

I kinda thought it wasn't a real cover Sad. The old stock parts I gathered were just going to be used as templates to make new ones. Unfortunately they found whatever they could vs the same material to use. Hrm... carpet, that would be better than what they have there. The luggage area is carpeted too right?

mtdorajohn wrote:
your back seat does need some help...

in picture two, the spikes sticking out are there to spike the upholstery to if it was sewn correctly. the upholstery should have an additional piece that curves around the back and is spiked into the area shown in picture two.

Once the front of the back is in place, most leave the spring area open and raw.

They also sell a carpeted piece that fits over the raw back as well that you can adhere some strong board (the same stuff pegboard is made of) to the back of the carpet and use the metal strip across the top of the back seat to screw it into place.

I was thinking of finding some foam and placing it on top of the original padding that's already there. The front passenger seat wasn't 100% finished but I pulled tight the cover and unbent the spikes then stretched it across and hammered them down again.

Are the backrests usually bare or on an original are they covered? I've never been in a VW before this so I dunno what it's suppose to be like. I do like the carpet idea.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there's A carpeted board that covers the back of the seat, depending on year and options the rear panel and speaker shelf are one in the same,, when you pull the seat down the rear shelf folds down to cover the back of the seat

when I did my car all that stuff was missing,, and scents you can git better speaker trays(or make one) I made A fixed panel for the bake of the seat using page board(cheep and very lightweight) I cut it to the shape I wanted then wrapped it in speaker box carpet, and mounted it to the back of the seat(after putting on the cover of course).. now the speaker shelf stays put and I can pull the seat down and cary stuff..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: