Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to replace window scraper seals
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baccaruda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: How to replace window scraper seals Reply with quote

After trying to figure out how to get a window scraper seal on my '73 super convertible for a half hour and having no luck getting the bottom lip of the seal to grab the metal inside the door, I finally figured it out and wanted to help the next guy out. Sorry the pictures are sideways...

First, get some string. Make sure it's plenty long. Feed it into the bottom lip of the seal like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Run the string the length of the seal and make sure plenty of string hangs out both sides:

This is how the scraper will seat on the inside of the window opening:

Feed the string into the window opening so that it hangs down to the openings in the inside of the door. Seat the seal on the metal lip. On my '73, there's a convenient hole for tying the string down:

Let the string through the window opening on the other side as well so that it's accessible from below - and seat the entire length of the seal on the metal lip:

Pull the untied end of the string down as you run your thumb along the scraper to feel the bottom lip open and grab the metal underneath.

Pull the string all the way to the end and remove it. It seemed to hold perfectly after 3-4 window up-downs, but shifted a little. I'm going to repeat the process with some weatherstrip adhesive.

If this is common knowledge, sorry.
Mickey_Ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the best place to buy a quality seal for a 73 bug?
baccaruda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickey_Ale wrote:
where is the best place to buy a quality seal for a 73 bug?

I got mine from Mid America Motorworks. It's a quality seal. I had to trim it very slightly in length.
19-VW-74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a generic weatherstrip? The stock one just clips into 5 little holes on the inner edge of the door skin. And it's very easy to replace... not to mention cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baccaruda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19-VW-74 wrote:
Is that a generic weatherstrip? The stock one just clips into 5 little holes on the inner edge of the door skin. And it's very easy to replace... not to mention cheap.

The strips on the outside had metal strips that screwed to the door. The inner door had no holes and the seals they sent me had no metal strip, so I assumed they were correct.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: