Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 Super Beetle Woes (brakes/wiring)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Painting my S/B... Which One?
Black
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
White
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 10

phyrph0enix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: '74 Super Beetle Woes (brakes/wiring) Reply with quote

Ok, So I've had a couple of VW's... none like this!
I'd like to say the car has had no problems at all! It's the previous owner that was the problem. I bought the car in FL which was a mistake because they have no state safety inspection. Now, I live in MA and there IS a safety inspection. So here's what I'm dealing with:

#1: I replaced the front brakes. Hoses, Wheel Cylinders, Hardware, Bearings, Shoes and Drums.

I've exchanged the shoes twice for new ones because they were packaged wrong. But now I've finally got some that match the ones I took off. The drums came from a VW dealer's NOS. I've adjusted everything way down and made sure the star adjuster tilt was directed the right way, but the brakes are just too tight! The car hardly rolls! The only explanation I could think of was if the shoes were directional or just the wrong ones. But all the shoes were identical, and the drums are from VW itself! Should I just drive it until the shoes wear down!? Or should I remove the drums and turn them on a lathe?

Plus, the A-15 Federal-Mogul inner wheel bearing was bloody tight on the spindle! Could this indicate aftermarket spindles? How do I then determine the correct size?

Oh, and the previous owner decided that E-Brakes were for chumps, so all I have is a hole... idiot!

#2: What's a Wiring Diagram? <- I know... he didn't...

So, my reverse lamps don't work... it's not the bulb... I'll give you 3 guesses...

give up?

Mister IDon'tNeedToSeeWhereI'mGoingWhenIReverse decided that rather than fixing the reverse lamp wiring, he was going to cut it off and zip-tie what was leftover to the left rear spring! AHH!!!

Oh, and he spliced the license plate lamp to the driving lamps, not the running lamps. So now when you use the repeaters with the headlamps on, it shorts the rear repeaters to positive and shuts off the whole rear circuit!

My horn's gone to IDon'tKnowWhere...

It ran off with the E-Brake, I think!

Oh, and he zip-tied the seats to the carpet on top of the tracks. I don't care what kind of carpet adhesive you use, it WON'T hold in a seat!

Sorry to bother with all of this... I do need some advice on the brakes though... I get my seat track bushings in tomorrow and I'm kinda tempted to just burn the crap out of the shoes until they wear... I'm THAT frustrated!

Thank you! Very Happy

-----------------------------------
1974 Super Beetle
1963 Kombi MicroBus
JonF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 07 Lincoln MKX come in a nice white it is called white chocolate

if the brakes are all together right you might just need to put some miles on the brakes so that the shoes ware them selfs in.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't turn the drums, or the next pair of shoes you buy will be too small. It may come down to the brake shoe mfg.
I had trouble w/ ONLY 1 WHEEL on a brake job. I KNEW they were the correct shoes because I'd done one side already w/ no problem. I swapped the shoes to the other wheel, and the problem followed. Ended up using a grinder to shave a bit of material off the offending shoes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
odoggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the spring in the new hardware kit too soft? is it a fluid pressure problem?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: