Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Type 1 - My First Resto
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprahhwinfreyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is too wicked. ultra fine job
jtpatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on the Samba for four years now, it's amazing how fast the time goes by. I have read many articles and looked in on several builds. This was by far the most detailed and informative build that I have come across. As other members have mentioned on this post many times over, thank you for taking the time to go over every step. I again feel the motivation to get mine started.
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone Q-Dog, Hyperspace, Oprah and jtpatrick for the help, motivation and the compliments. I have been slammed at work and other things but I have done more since my last post. I will update tonight with where I am at. I have been driving it up and down the block, what a feeling after over a year!!! I think my neighbors are even more excited as I am since they have seen me in the garage all this time and they check in on my progress from time to time. Good times!
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Running Boards and Bumpers. I purchased new running boards, chrome trim and hardware kit from Wolfsburg West...which I highly recommend. Quality was great and the fit was perfect. I also purchased their triple chrome bumpers and the shine looks great, I just hope they last at that price. However, I have had no issues with anything I have purchased from them thus far.

So, with WW running boards, the chrome trim has to be installed on the board.

Here is what I started with. Running boards, chrome trim clips and the chrome trim.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are precut holes for the chrome trim, they are covered in the running board rubber and have to be cut to insert the trim clips. I used an exacto knife to create a small slit in each opening so the clips would slide right in when installed. Here are a few shots.

Once that was finished, time to slide the clips onto the chrome molding. The molding has an opening on each end so the clips just slide on the rails inside the chrome molding (very similar to body molding). Here is the clip and a few clips in the molding.

Looking at the clip, I was not sure which direction it should go in the molding, but it did not appear to make a difference. I just made sure they were all facing the same direction - the clips have a solid end on one side and a u-shape opening on the other. In this instance, I just faced the opening in the same direction for each clip.

Now, starting with the center clip, I pushed the molding GENTLY, into the pre-cut slit that I made with the exacto knife. I started with the center and worked my way outward to each end. This helped to make sure the molding was centered and if I needed to make an adjustment to center the molding, it was easier to slide the clips left and right as needed. Once all the clips are in and the molding is centered, you just take a pair of pliers and turn the clip that enters the board a quarter turn so it locks itself and the molding in place. Here is a pic of the clip inserted then locked in place once twisted. Again, I locked them in starting in the center working outward.

As you can see in the picture above, there are cutouts that are pre-cut in the running board. These will rest on the bolts that secure the boards to the frame. Again, WW had the pre-cuts perfect and there were no spacing issues or any modifications needed. Now the hardware for the boards.

The kit came with all the necessary hardware to secure the board to the fenders and the frame. First, sort all of the hardware so you know what is what. It is easy to identify the different bolts, the smaller ones with the larger quantity will secure the board to the frame and there are 2 bolts on each side that secure the board to the fenders. Here is an exploded view of how the hardware should go on for the fender attachment.

The rubber washer goes between the board and the fender, one for each fender. Now, I started the bolt head from the fender side and put the nut under the board. I guess it could work either way, but I figured in the wheel well means more splashing and more water which means locked and rusted nuts. Only time will tell. So, bolt and one washer inside the fender, then the rubber washer between the fender and board, then a washer, lock washer and nut under the board to secure everything.

I installed the bolt and washer on the far left and right side of the frame. Just a couple turns so the nuts would bit. The board will just rest on the bolts so you can get everything secure and tightened up. I did put grease on each bolt to try to fight rust and future moisture. The pre-cut portions of the board fit perfect on each bolt I inserted into the frame (thanks WW). Just make sure the washer is against the board and not the frame. I started tightening things down and realized one of the washers slipped behind the board so I had to loosen most of the nuts to give myself enough play to remove the washer and re-install. Here are a few pics of the bolts.

Here is the installed board - same process for the other side.

Bumpers. I used my existing brackets, just cleaned them up and painted them. I forgot to take pictures, but there was a difference between the front and rears for sure. Just look at them and you can tell that they are different so do not mix a front and a rear since they likely will not fit right or in the cut outs in the fenders. Here are a few shots of the brackets installed so you can see the detail.

I also installed small things like the headlight trim and the VW script on the rear deck lid...just so it looks like things are coming together. I will likely install the front hood badge as the last piece of the puzzle...just seems the right thing to do. Here are a few shots of the front and rear.

Well, that is it for now. Still more to come.
cuevas72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Fantastic work Reply with quote

Man I read every page of this post, it was absolutely amazing. I just finished a build of a 68 for my son. I didn't go in all the depth you had. My next build will though. You answered and showed me plenty of things I have questions about. I will be tracking this till the finish for sure. The interior is a beast but very much doable. If I knew how to post pics I would post them. Thanks again for sharing and posting.[/img]
LeninCas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Absolutely Beautiful Reply with quote

Very detailed. Very great job. Congrats! Can't wait to see more coming.
Cjm005
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this car is going to be nice.. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562603
Michael72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent build thread and very detailed. I have just signed up to the forum after browsing for a few weeks and picking myself up a 72 beetle to restore and this resto thread will provide me with a lot of help Smile
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1mom2grace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. This is fantastic! I just bought a '68. Thought I JUST needed cosmetic work....but now I want to do it all!! By biggest hesitation is strength and knowledge. Being a single mom, and never worked on a car, I don't have the background. I have the room! And the time! And the money....I think, LOL. I'll be watching this and keeping it for reference to do the little things I can! Plus it will be helpful to not be taken advantage of when I need something worked on by someone else Laughing
[/img]
christiancarpenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the latest? finished the motor for my 68 today. your project has been really inspiring. thanks
mjbeanie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: This is really appreciated Reply with quote

Just wanted to also note how great a job you are doing with your post. Just got a 1970 VW convertible this weekend, it was mid restoration and has been completely stripped to the floorpans. Chassis is ready to be built up, and there's a lot to do. Your post will greatly help, and make the job less overwhelming. Keep up the great work.
kamara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job on the build - just bought a 69 and have just started to delve into it. Have several buses and am familiar with them, the beetle (Wolfgang - Wolfie for short) is new to me. I will be referencing this thread for my build! Thanks so much!

- President of CCvdub (Tallahassee's VW Club)
([email protected])

73 Type2 Riviera, 74 Type2 Westy, 69 Type1 Standard, 72 Type4 412 Variant
Cmontoya9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cage, you still around? Im sure im not the only one wondering if you have any updates? How are things going? Hope all is well man.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6369627&highlight=#6369627
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, I am back for more. Thanks to all of you for your kind words and inspiration, I hope the thread is still helpful. It has been over a year and I am now just getting back to the bug. I moved to a new home which took up all of my time tearing down walls, laying flooring, drywall, flooring, electrical, on and on.

However, I am ready to get back and finish my bug! I do have have one caveat that took me off the project...poor work from a VW shop. I had someone install a new headliner, and the window rubber and trim. This was about the same time I was closing on my house. I picked up the bug from the shop, and headed straight to the new place...BIG MISTAKE.

There is glue all over the damn place, outside and inside the bug. The front window trim is not centered and other areas were just poorly done. It takes the wind out of your sails when you are trying to do a great job and someone else takes no pride in their work and does a crappy one. Now I know why I was trying to do most of the work myself. Oh well. I was so pissed, I did not even want to deal with them, since they would have been worthless to correct it given the quality.

With that said, I will be posting pictures in the next few weeks. To keep things moving, I decided to finish the outside and then work on the inside, finish the door windows, regulators, etc.

Sorry for the delay, it has been in the back of my mind whenever I worked on other house projects. Stay tuned and stay with me...I will need help. Thanks.

Brandon[/b]
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do us all a favor--and future folks that may run into the same shop.

What was the name of the shop that did the headliner?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
kwest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Back for more Reply with quote

Hurray! I have been dreaming of the day that we'd see more mind-boggling updates from you. The amount of info that you've shared so far has been remarkable; very much looking forward to anything and everything that you're thinking of posting!

Hope you enjoy finishing the project to your top-notch standards..

KW
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post, RIMS. First, special thanks to Darrell at my local Discount Tire Center for taking the tires and balancing weights off for free. They did it in 10 minutes, would have taken me a lot longer. Also, as I mentioned, I moved, (one of the big reasons for the delay on this project) and my bug has a new home. I had to have a 3 car garage this time for the bug.

Here is photo of one of the wheels to give you an idea of overall condition.

I think the rims are in pretty good condition, no big dents and each rim rolled without a bounce when the tires were off. All the rims had some surface rust, which I took care off with my angle grinder.

Also, here is a close up of the rim size and the VW stamp. I never changed rims in the past 26+ years I owned the bug, so I assume these are the originals. I did have 1 rim that was a tad larger (4.5jx15) which I will replace. The 4 rims on the car are 4jx15:

After the angle grinder, I used a wire brush and steel wool to remove any other surface rust that remained. I then cleaned each rim and de-greased as best as I could. I did the same process for both the inside and outside of each rim. Next, shot on a coat of primer to inside and outside of each rim:

I really liked that fact that I still had the original valve stems on these rims, so I decided to clean each one up as well, in case they are functional. They worked fine when the tires were taken off, but seal may not work. I will see. Here is a before and after:

Just something nice about "Germany" stamped on each valve. I ordered new Nankang tires 165/80's online from Amazon, they had the best price. I am taking a trip to a VW wrecking yard to find another rim that is 4jx15 to match the others. Plus, I do not want to put something larger in the spare tire spot in the trunk. The one larger rim I had was that size...too worried about scratching the new paint. Also, I will order a smaller tire for the spare...likely a 155. Anyone know if a 135 would fit a 4 inch rim? I figure the smaller the width the better for the spare. I remember the 165 fully inflated did not fit well in the trunk at all, and I may have had to let a little air out which defeated the purpose.

Well, it is great to be back and I have a lot of threads to read and catch up on. I will update once I finish painting the rims and receive the tires. Thanks!
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPEEDO CABLE INSTALL: While waiting for the paint to dry on the rims, I decided to check my parts box, get organized, and do something to the bug today. Since the wheels were off, I decided to install the speedo cable. I know there is a part for this somewhere...

I first cleaned the outside of the speedo cable with de-greaser then squirted silicone in each end of the cable...let that rest for awhile, letting gravity do some work. Here is a shot of both ends of the cable before I started cleaning:

The end that goes to the front left wheel, has a little c-clip on it. See below:

I cleaned up each end, removing old grit and grease.

The cable connects to the back of the speedo, goes through the left side of the trunk (where the left front wheel is) then goes through the steering knuckle and pops out of the end of the grease cap on the left front drum. Here are some pictures:

Speedo cable connects to the back of the speedo - the large nipple on the back of the speedo pictured below:

Do not connect the cable to the speedo yet!

There should be a grommet where the cable feeds through (near the brake fluid reservoir for my 6Cool to exit towards the front wheel well:

Start by pushing the cable through that hole where the grommet is - JUST A LITLE BIT - then go under the fender. I used silicone spray for most of the cable to help slide it through. There is a slot where the cable exists the trunk:

Again, do not connect the cable to the speedo at this point. The cable is stiff and does not bend well to allow you to move the cable where it needs to go.

There is also a little notch that the cable goes through. It is pictured below, right below the grommet underneath the trunk. The cable exists the grommet and goes through that notch:

Now, just feed the cable through the grommet and the notch until it gets close to the brake drum and steering knuckle. There is a hole in the back of the steering knuckle that the cable needs to go through. Now would be a good time to also replace the grommet that is in the back of the steering knuckle. Here is the grommet and the hole (just to the right of the brake line) in the steering knuckle:

I greased up the inside of the grommet and placed it in that hole. I then greased up about 6 inches of the cable, starting from the end that will go through that hole in the steering knuckle. I also, routed the speedo cable above the brake line, just seemed better that way:

Now just push the cable through that hole until it pops out of the square that is in the center of the grease cap, which is on the outside of the drum, facing away from the car. Again, the end is square, so you may have to rotate the drum slightly until the cable pops through the square. See below:

I then greased up the end of the cable, and attached the c-clip to retain the cable:

I connected the cable to the back of the speedo - it just screws on, cannot miss where it goes:

Finally, I turned the steering wheel all the way left and right to make sure nothing was getting caught up or pulling the cable too tight. Worked just right. Hope it helps!
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXTERIOR CHROME TRIM: I am still waiting for parts for the rims, so I decided to install the chrome trim. Also, the bug needs a bath badly and with my mortal fear of rust now, I wanted to fill as many holes as I could before I give it a good wash.

I first laid out all of the chrome trim to sort out what's what.

The pieces are easy to figure out, since the front and rear quarters have a flat edge on one side and a rounded pointy edge on the other. The door trim has a flat edge on both sides of the trim, so again, easy to figure out. What is also great, is that the trim comes with the natural curve of the bug's body, so just layout the pieces, figure out which piece goes where before you start. You should not have to bend anything and the chrome trim should follow the holes in the car.

I knew I had a wrong piece if when dry fitting and one end was bending away from the holes instead of over them.

The chrome attaches with plastic clips, see pic:

DO NOT CUT ANYTHING OFF of the plastic clips. This is the one thing I actually have experience in. In my youth, I thought, why is this extra part in the middle that does not go into the body, might as well cut that off. Wrong approach. Now that I am older, I thought, the German engineers are smart on must have had a reason for this. I will explain further.

The clip goes into each hole for the trim. See picture below:

I did each section one at a time. I made sure each clip was straight and lined up with the clip next too it, to make sure I could actually install the trim without having to move or rotate a clip.

Then I used a hammer to "tap" in the exposed white tip, which enters the center of the clip, to expand the part inside the car. I tried a small piece of wood to strike with the hammer, and ended up just using the hammer directly, much easier that way. Once installed, that clip is not popping out on its own (for my bug at least). It took me a few clips to get the amount of tap to use with the hammer, but you will get the hang of it. I was afraid to miss or dent something at first, but it goes quickly once you get it. Here is a pick with the tip gently hammered in:

Here are a few rows of clips, installed and ready for the chrome trim:

To install the chrome trim, you line it up with the clips, and push on the trim until it snaps in place. I started the install with each chrome trim on the side that I thought needed the most precision for placement. For example, the left side front quarter panel trim should go close against the door. So, I pushed in the trim on that clip first, then checked alignment and placement.

I then worked my way from the first installed clip, then pushed the trim to each clip until that part was finished.

Here is a shot of two parts installed:

The trim lined up pretty good when comparing the doors and the rear quarter panels...I may have to adjust a hair for a better sight line.

Next I installed the hood emblem. I was going to save that for last, but again, I wanted to cover up holes so I went ahead a did it. There are 3 plastic sleeves that fit into the holes for the emblem

I decided to install the sleeves on the emblem first, then push the emblem on. Not sure if that was correct, I was concerned with breaking off one of the little posts on the emblem, so I thought this approach would be safer. Here is the emblem purchased and installed:

I installed the water nozzle next, not much to that. It simply clips into the hole, and fits snug with its own rubber piece.

That is pretty much it. I have to install the radio antenna.

but, the antenna comes with metal washers which will likely scratch the paint when I install it. Exposed metal means rust, so I have to find some plastic washers to use instead. Similar thing I did for the rear license light assembly.

That is it for now. My rims are finished and I will update once I get them on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: