Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Single Cab ATE Steering Box
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
micromotor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: 1962 Single Cab ATE Steering Box Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what color the ATE Steering Box should be for a 62 Single Cab? I'm planning on painting the tube black and the box gray. Also, after looking at pictures it looks to be like the tube that holds the horn wire is the same as a brake line? It looks like it goes only about an inch past the bracket ? Mine is gone. Can anyone confirm or deny? Finally, any tips on servicing the steering box where the mileage on the vehicle looks to be low, about 50,000 miles. Finally, I thinking of using 140 wt gear oil instead of the 90. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Micromotor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Deere Corn Head Grease.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421677&highlight=corn+head+grease

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know - Black steering box.

The box shouldn't need anything special on a Bus with 50K.
You could check the adjustment per the manual anyway.
Change the oil if it's been sitting.
If it starts leaking, it could need the lower or the output to the drag link seals replaced.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Single Cab ATE Steering Box Reply with quote

micromotor wrote:
Also, after looking at pictures it looks to be like the tube that holds the horn wire is the same as a brake line? It looks like it goes only about an inch past the bracket ? Mine is gone. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Early buses (pre1960?) have the grounding wire to the horn wrapped in a metal wire for a little more road protection.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stick with 90 Wt. and a new output seal.
micromotor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
As far as I know - Black steering box.

The box shouldn't need anything special on a Bus with 50K.
You could check the adjustment per the manual anyway.
Change the oil if it's been sitting.
If it starts leaking, it could need the lower or the output to the drag link seals replaced.

Now That I have the Steering Box off, I can confirm that it was originally black.
The box had what looks to be an original safety wire seal and it was fully packed with a thin grease. Definetly not 90wt. The insides look great. No dirt, water, or rust.
micromotor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Single Cab ATE Steering Box Reply with quote

Early buses (pre1960?) have the grounding wire to the horn wrapped in a metal wire for a little more road protection.

So 1962 would be just the wire?
Is there any kind of seal where the wire exits the box or do I just use some silicon?
Thanks
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no seal on the wire by design it doesnt leak
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked our 1960 (DEC59 built) walk thru camper conversion and it has the armor wire wound around the ground wire.

Check the 1963 (MAR63 built) SC we have and does not have the armor wire. Just a black plastic sheath around the wire, and NO sealant.

Think will get over to the 1962 Wounded Westie project today and check the ground wire on it.
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micromotor wrote:
The box had what looks to be an original safety wire seal and it was fully packed with a thin grease. Definetly not 90wt. The insides look great. No dirt, water, or rust.

John Deere Corn Head Grease as mentioned above. The antique Ford guys run it in their steering boxes and swear by it. It is the closest thing anyone has found to the original grease for steering boxes. Some on here use it. Here are some links below. I picked mine up from my local JD dealer.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/parts/batteries_and_fluids/maintenance_fluids/grease/grease.page
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&am...&pbx=1

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 62 had the protective metal sheath for the wire but it was damaged.
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a 'steering box' grease, in the rebuilds i do, i think VW changed to grease in 67 and all early bay boxes that i have done have grease in.

The wire hole doesn't need sealing, there is a tube inside and the oil/grease level is below the top of the tube
micromotor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Single Cab ATE Steering Box Reply with quote

Looks like the "metal wire wrap" is a replacement part. Can anyone tell me what it is called and where it is available?
Thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our FEB62 SO-34 westie does not have the wire wrap.
micromotor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Wire Wrap Reply with quote

Anyone know a source for the "wrapped wire" shown in this pic

sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Our FEB62 SO-34 westie does not have the wire wrap.

my April 62 did but not sure it was stock I still have the old box I should clean it up and check it out also had an elbow.
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
micromotor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Source for wrapped wire cover Reply with quote

So this is my SC with my substitute wrapped wire cover installed. I used some NOS wire feed welder liner and I think it looks great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: