Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Look what I found!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to order wheels for my bug. I called tech support where I wanted to order them and they told me to take off my wheel. Measure 3.5 inches from where the wheel bolts on the drum, basically the front face and make sure it won't hit anything on the inside of the fender. There is a funky looking protrusion that branches right off where the shock is mounted that looks like someone whacked off the branch of a tree. I'm gonna try to post a pic. As a newbie I have no idea what this thing is but I'm sure to you all its obvious what it is. Its awfully close to the existing tire.

Wut the hell?! it came out upside down haha! Well if you could all turn your laptops over and give me some friendly advice. It looks the new wheels will come really close to that thing that branches off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell in your photo, but it looks like someone hacked off the bump stop. Perhaps it was lowered quite a bit in the past?
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's weird at first photo appeared upside down I Thot. Now it's right side up. I'll post another larger pic but that stump thing branching off near the top right of the tire is next to the tire not inside where the wheel indents. So it's already quite close to the tire. Bout maybe three or four inches away from the rubber.

Man this is os weird. On my iPad the pic in the post appears right side up but on my mac it appears upside down.
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I'm sorry bout the dark and sideways pix. I have no idea wits happening. Must be because I'm taking them with my iPhone.

SO anyway thx to the previous poster for answering my question I assume a bump stop is just wit it says. It stops the wheel from flying up and hitting fender if you hit a bump to hard huh? It looks like a scalloped piece of metal that underneath it has a big rubber bumper that looks like it would hit it if the tire travels too far.

Does the bump stop typically get in the way of new wider wheels?

vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... in your new photos, everything looks normal. Whether or not wider wheels will hit it or not will, obviously, depend on the offset of the particular wheel you're using. That's what the tech support is asking you to do by measuring 3.5" from the face of the drum. Sorry... probably not much help. You'll just have to do some measuring and comparisons to what you have on it now.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the best photo I could in the Gallery of what the bump stops normally look like...

It should all be a one piece casting. Does your's look like anything else has been cut, welded or added on?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. Yup thats it. Man does my bug need cleaned up haha. Want to get some new shocks too. Ok so if I measure the 3.5 inches from the face of the drum and it even misses the bump stop by a half inch is that enough clearance for the wheels I want?
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Found the best photo I could in the Gallery of what the bump stops normally look like...

It should all be a one piece casting. Does your's look like anything else has been cut, welded or added on?

No. Mine looks EXACTLY like that one. Just a little more rusty. DAM that bug is clean underneath. Thanks again. This site is so helpful.
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm not a longtime member you all have helped me so much. You may remember me as starting the infamous love the lowered bug look thread that went on forever haha. Well just Thot I owed u all an update cuz I haven't been around. I was suffering from shoulder pain for a long time. Turned out it was a spur that finally snapped my bicep in half. Docs had to grind off spur n reattach my bicep. 3 months in a sling which I'm still in. Gonna be a long road back. I'll be back to work on my bug ASAP n thanks everyone for helping a newbie!
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH slik, that sounds painful!

Heal quickly man!
Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been absent for a long time. Had a Serious injury and got sidetracked. I finally got my Vw out of the barn and back on track. Got her running real nice and now to do a lot of structural stuff. Suspension, wiring etc.

One headlight out. Move blinkers out of headlight bubble (too hard for oncoming traffic to see.) fix Horn etc.

Just had her out last night.

itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Strangely prophetic license plate... Reply with quote

slik wrote:

don't get it? Can someone explain?

Believe this novelty plate came out during the oil crises of the late 70s. Even the miserly vw beetle paled in comparison to some of the diesel sleds around at the time.
It is, however; strangely prophetic... You can get a "New" Beetle with a TDI engine...

Would love to pick up one of these for my rides.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kyle! Not ready to part with it just yet. I get what the plate means now tho. I'm becoming somewhat of a bug hoarder now. Hot wheels, models etc. it's an addiction!
slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this engine was a '74 1600 put in 63 bug. By the looks of it can anyone confirm if it is a dual port and is this the model engine they call a type 4? Really newbie questions so thanks in advance
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slik wrote:
this engine was a '74 1600 put in 63 bug. By the looks of it can anyone confirm if it is a dual port and is this the model engine they call a type 4? Really newbie questions so thanks in advance

Yes, dual port. So you know how to confirm it in the future, your intake manifolds, where they bolt to the heads, look like this:

And no, not type 4. Though they can be configured differently/customized, they will most likely look like this in stock configurations:

slik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! I am reading books. Watching YouTube and reading this site but every once in a while I need clarity on some things. I belong to some fitness, fishing and various forums. By far this forum seems to have the friendliest and most helpful members. I guess that says something about bug owners!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: