Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tesla Motors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as GLHTurbo said, I also have seen tons here in NJ. saw a guy with one while parked one day and he gave us about a 45 minute tour of his car telling us about it and how much he enjoys it. I think if I had solar panels on my roof I would be driving one right now! Here is a question I posted to the Tesla forums a little while back:

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/about-40k-year-sales-vehicle
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
We made a modest investment in Tesla stock at little while back and Tesla has been very very good to us.

I really wanted to buy Tesla stock when it was just under $35/share and about screamed when it exploded.

Jon Schmid wrote:
I hear Tesla is going out on a limb with the naming of their third model. 3. How original.

One must click on the links to read what's in them. Wink

Quote:
As was widely reported, Tesla had indeed been seeking to trademark the “Model E” moniker, though Ford shot that down, claiming they wanted to use that trademark for themselves. Doubtful, but that certainly didn’t stop Musk, who says the new car will instead be called the Model 3. For those of you well versed in “1337” speak, 3 can be translated to E, meaning there will be the Model S, Model X, and Model 3…or S 3 X. Oh Elon, you speak for my oh-so-nerdy-soul.

EverettB wrote:

Mazda might have an issue with it though.

It's the Mazda 3, not the Mazda Model 3 (I own one and it's disappointing), so it's not a trademark infringement. Think Mazda 3, BMW 3-Series, Tesla Model 3.

It's reported that Tesla will note the 3 as ≡, because the fanboys, and also Musk, have noted that Tesla has the Model S, and the Model X, so is stands to reason that there needs to be a Model E: SEX, or S≡X.
tide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a deposit on a Model X down for a while, #448. Very much looking forward to it being the 'kidmobile' (a slight upgrade from our A4).
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw one yesterday, license plate was
LOL4GAS
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Saw one yesterday, license plate was
LOL4GAS

I saw one recently .... OHMMMM

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Muulch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My company is supplying Tesla's headquarters in California with their office furniture! For such a sophisticated company, they are horrible at ordering it... Before us, they purchased everything from IKEA. They're causing a big headache around here, always changing their order specs, never finalizing on their purchases....
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like almost every big company I have ever seen. Wink

FWIW, what you just posted sounds like something that could get you fired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Muulch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Oh I know! I'm not revealing where I work or anything, so I think I'm good. Even then, I'm only a college intern here, and school starts back up in January
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muulch wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Oh I know! I'm not revealing where I work or anything, so I think I'm good. Even then, I'm only a college intern here, and school starts back up in January

Since you're in Michigan, you work for Herman Miller, Steelcase or Haworth. They each probably have no more than a couple dozen interns at a time, and not too many with Type 3 VWs. Tesla knows who they buy from, and some employees may be members here. You should think about keeping a stronger firewall between work life and personal / Internet life.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought California lost the bid to Nevada for the stuff?

Also, I have driven many model S cars. Lots of fun.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
misagarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol... wait, are we still talking about Tesla?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tesla Motors Reply with quote

I recently completed my BA in Legal Studies. All business majors have to complete the Strategic Management capstone course. We were formed into groups with various case studies to analyze and write reports along with the company of our choosing. My group chose Tesla thanks to two of us gear heads.

The company has an impressive product and, thanks to Elon Musk, has an excellent strategy. Their competitive advantage is technological innovation and their weakness is manufacturing. I watched the presentation of the Model 3 as the event unfolded and am a bit disappointed it is a scaled down version of the Model S. Rumor has it there will be a hatchback version. Seems there are a lot of people asking for a hatchback version (in addition to myself).

The company (Musk) got a bit too froggy with the Model X and needs to sort the issues with it quickly. Pre-orders with deposits are closing in on 450,000 for the Model 3. Ford and Chevy each sell that many pickups in one year.

It took me two attempts at contacting the company to get a response so I can schedule a test drive of a Model S. My quandary is whether to buy an S or wait for a Model 3.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tesla Motors Reply with quote

If it was up to me, I'd wait and get the S model with the new redesigned nose.
They are getting rid of the black plastic center faux air intake grill and pinching the nose top and bottom closer together. A cleaner line in my opinion.

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tesla Motors Reply with quote

The Tesla semi truck has some impressive specifications. The interesting part of the reveal is the new version of the Roadster , which was a surprise during the truck's reveal. Hopefully, Tesla will be able to overcome its major impediment of not being able to mass produce vehicles as promised. That has been a weakness for several years and was supposed to have been eliminated by the time the Model 3 production started.
Muulch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Muulch wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Since you're in Michigan, you work for Herman Miller, Steelcase or Haworth.

I get what you're saying, and you have indeed listed the 3 biggest names, but that is by no means an exhaustive list. There are many dozens of office furniture companies in Michigan. I never got fired (;
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tesla Motors Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
The Tesla semi truck has some impressive specifications. The interesting part of the reveal is the new version of the Roadster , which was a surprise during the truck's reveal. Hopefully, Tesla will be able to overcome its major impediment of not being able to mass produce vehicles as promised. That has been a weakness for several years and was supposed to have been eliminated by the time the Model 3 production started.

I hear WalMart has already contracted out to be one of the first purchasers of a fleet of the Tesla semi trucks. I live right down the highway from one of their main distribution hubs in Bentonville. Will be interesting to see those things lumbering quietly proceeding up the road.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tesla Motors Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
The Tesla semi truck has some impressive specifications.

What was the impressive part? Here what I gathered.

500 mile range when a normal semi is 1500+ miles

30 minute recharge time compared to 15 minute refill for a normal semi. Not to mention that 30 mins only gets you another 400 miles.

The stupid statement of oh you can recharge at your drop off and pick up locations. LMFAO!! Have ANY of these idiots been to any shipping locations? Where the fuck are you going to charge the truck? Or the big question. What if my delivery is 2700 miles away? Then what? Park my ass every 400 miles? Give me a break.

The idiotic statement of making jack knives impossible. When you’re on snow and ice I don’t care if you have 11 motors on each wheel. It won’t save you.

The fact that it can do 65 up a hill loaded. Cool story if you’re not in a state with with a 55 speed limit for trucks. Also I can do 65 up a hill in a 389 Pete with a X-15 Cummins and it doesn’t look like dog shit doing it.

NO major carrier will buy these for any type of over the road work. Could you imagine a team taking 9 days for a coast to coast run cause they’re sitting still for 30 mins every 400 miles? The range and efficiency isn’t there. It’s not even close in comparison to a diesel truck. The ONLY place this truck has potential is in a day can version doing local delivers with a 100-200 miles route.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tesla Motors Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Gary wrote:
The Tesla semi truck has some impressive specifications.

What was the impressive part? Here what I gathered.

You seem to have compared the posted specs from the link against erroneous assumptions on your part. Here is a video where Elon Musk has visuals in his presentation.

Quote:

500 mile range when a normal semi is 1500+ miles

What you consider a "normal" semi is a long-haul truck. Musk states in the video presentation this Semi 1.0 is intended for trucking routes which are within a 500-mile range. 80% of trucking routes in the United States are less than 250-miles.

Quote:

30 minute recharge time compared to 15 minute refill for a normal semi. Not to mention that 30 mins only gets you another 400 miles.

A Tesla truck operator could run his route and connect his truck to the charging station and let it refuel overnight vs. spending time refueling at a truck stop and then returning to the depot to park the truck. Sounds like an even trade-off. Nothing is ever perfect.

Quote:
The stupid statement of oh you can recharge at your drop off and pick up locations. LMFAO!! Have ANY of these idiots been to any shipping locations? Where the fuck are you going to charge the truck? Or the big question. What if my delivery is 2700 miles away? Then what? Park my ass every 400 miles? Give me a break.

Are you saying shipping destinations won't reconfigure by installing charging stations? I remember years ago when people laughed at LNG as a fuel source, yet many companies with local routes have LNG fueling stations on site. Also, your 2,700 mile route example is your comparison of apples to bowling balls. The idea is to start small and build out slowly, much like the current Tesla supercharging network that now allows people to drive across the US.

Quote:
The idiotic statement of making jack knives impossible. When you’re on snow and ice I don’t care if you have 11 motors on each wheel. It won’t save you.

Have you considered contacting Tesla and informing them of your expertise and how their statement is false and misleading? Get an attorney ASAP, because the windfall from such a case brought against a manufacturer would be amazing.

Quote:
The fact that it can do 65 up a hill loaded. Cool story if you’re not in a state with with a 55 speed limit for trucks. Also I can do 65 up a hill in a 389 Pete with a X-15 Cummins and it doesn’t look like dog shit doing it.

The Tesla truck can haul 80,000-lbs (40-tons) up a 5% grade at 65-mph versus a diesel truck (45-mph @ 5% grade). That kind of specification is called "exceeding expectations". Most, if not all, customers in the target market are going to have minimum expectations for performance. The minimum expectations might be the truck has to maintain 45-mph up X-grade carrying Y-tonnage. It's a selling point and testament to the product when the customer's expectations are exceeded. Note from the video Musk states the electric truck can sustain speed at grade, thereby reducing delivery time and increasing earnings for the driver (time = money). The local speed limit is a non-sequitur. I doubt the Peterbuilt in your example can sustain that performance with the example 80,000-lb load.

Quote:
NO major carrier will buy these for any type of over the road work. Could you imagine a team taking 9 days for a coast to coast run cause they’re sitting still for 30 mins every 400 miles? The range and efficiency isn’t there. It’s not even close in comparison to a diesel truck.

J.B. Hunt, Wal-Mart climb aboard Tesla's electric truck

There are pre-orders and infrastructure being built for the Nikola One. Change is coming.

Quote:
The ONLY place this truck has potential is in a day can version doing local delivers with a 100-200 miles route.

It's amazing your last sentence is what this truck's target market is.

What remains to be seen is whether Tesla can meet the target delivery date. So far, Tesla's track record proves otherwise. I've read and agree with a lot of comments stating Tesla should have partnered with a major truck producer to handle manufacturing and assembly as that has been Tesla's weak point from the start. The other big question will be the reliability and reduced maintenance costs.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tesla Motors Reply with quote

Hello all. Long time. Any old hands want to PM me a Tesla referral code to add to my recent Model 3 purchase? You can get your picture launched into space!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:

Elon Musk is a handbag swinger..

agreed.

if you follow tesla stuff, go on youtube and look for rich rebuilds. neat guy. I kind of know him indirectly from the guy who's shop he uses in MA.

anyway, point being Elon Musk is a snake. rich rebuilds points all of this out...basically, you DON'T own the car. Tesla will NOT sell parts to cars they feel "don't meet their standards" or if they were in even the most minor accident....

they will pull S/W levels down and the cars lose functionality....then want 10k+ to "recertify" the car (or a "redemption" process as they call it)

hopefully elon will take 480v to the balls.

Fuck you Tesla

Link

there is NO WAY I would buy a car...or anything for that matter that the manufacturer plays God with what you can/can't do with something you supposedly own.

I have only seen 2 here in CT...ever and that was about a year or so ago.

oh, and all the fanboys who think they are doing the world a service by buying a Turdsla....get this...this is what they drive to service them Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hello 8 miles to the gallon Laughing unreal.....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: