Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'62 Samba 23-Window Walk-thru Bus - OG Driver
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 Stroker Cheater 40hp Reply with quote

reeler wrote:
I found a no-miles 1962 engine case on The Samba just a few months newer than my bus. My goal is to build the strongest stock looking engine possible. I have Willie Page putting together this as below:

Linebored case for mains and cam bearings
    Retrofitted case to accept doghouse oil cooler
    69mm crank
    Special rods reconditioned
    Engle W100 cam and all new bearings with 1600 rockers
    Rebuilt square boss 1965 40hp heads
    New 83mm Big Bore kit
    High volume oil pump
    Manifold with splice under generator stand
    OE VW muffler with splice to fit
    Powder coated non-frash-air tin for cylinders, Fan Shroud, 36hp doghouse
    12V conv 90mm Ger Bosch generator+IC regulator from RickC
    Solex 30Pict-1 Carburator
    019 Bosch Dist

Maybe this will give me a 1500'ish engine that looks stock? I will need all the power I can get to turn my transmission with big nut RGBs.

I run a big bore 40 with a small nut trans in my 62 with 215-75-15's,its my daily driver and other then 55 being about top speed its a great combo. I'm interested in how yours will do hooked to the big nut trans. What size tires are you planning in running?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 Stroker Cheater 40hp Reply with quote

tyzel wrote:
I run a big bore 40 with a small nut trans in my 62 with 215-75-15's,its my daily driver and other then 55 being about top speed its a great combo. I'm interested in how yours will do hooked to the big nut trans. What size tires are you planning in running?

I am thinking about running 640-15 bias ply whitewalls. I am not sure how the engine mates with the tranny, but that is the plan.

I am hoping to get to 65 mph on a flat road, but that might be optimistic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 Stroker Cheater 40hp Reply with quote

reeler wrote:
tyzel wrote:

I am thinking about running 640-15 bias ply whitewalls. I am not sure how the engine mates with the tranny, but that is the plan.

I am hoping to get to 65 mph on a flat road, but that might be optimistic.

I wouldn't be surprised if you saw 65 on a flat stretch of road,that's what I love about 40's,they seem to be comfortable at higher rpm's,the last few ive had ive had 40's in,great motors. This is the first big bore 40 ive run,really like it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to hit 65 mph but I don't know if it is a good idea to cruise at 65 for a long time as it will be revving pretty high with a small nut.

I have cruised 60 in my small nut Bus though, for hours on end.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
You should be able to hit 65 mph but I don't know if it is a good idea to cruise at 65 for a long time as it will be revving pretty high with a small nut.

I have cruised 60 in my small nut Bus though, for hours on end.

Oh no not me Everett, I cruise 55 with my small nut, I can hit 60 sure but why push it. I was saying the he could prob hit 65 with the big nut, 60 would probably be a more comfy cruise speed though.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, I didn't read it closely enough.

Yes, a big nut can hit 65 no problem but it may suck on hills or in wind because the big nut really expects a 1500cc to push the gearing.

I've driven a 40hp engine (not a big bore though) with a big nut and it was slow to accelerate and generally sort of sucked.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Onto the rotisserie Reply with quote

The bus has been stripped down to the shell after hooking to the rotisserie at Das Wagen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ian cut off the belly pans underneath and found some really nasty mice nests inside of them!!

One of the coolest things he found when he tilted it was a UCLA parking permit expiring in 1964 that fell out of the dash defrost vent.

The bus was originally delivered to Italy with a US bumpers. I wondered how it ended up on campus at UCLA?

Last edited by reeler on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Off to the Blaster Reply with quote

Ian took the bus over to Blast-Tech to get it down to bare metal.

The estimate is $800, which seems cheap for a full-body blast. Alas, it ended up being over $1600.
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Back from blasting and 100% Paint Free Reply with quote

The rear corners, one dogleg and one rocker need work.

The front floor has a few rot holes, but the main floor is solid.

There will be a bunch of work around the windows. The skylight windows need work along with the guttters.

Time to order the funky green metal.
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Gauges Are Back from Orange Empire Speedometer Reply with quote

Over $800, but these are good as new:

The clock and gas gauge were converted to 12V. I have LED bulbs for all the lights.
ducatis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did your clocks?

They look great

www.facebook.com/vwsambavan
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducatis wrote:
Who did your clocks?

Ryan at Orange Empire Speedometer. He is on The Samba at: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=23008
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Das Wagen Web Cam Reply with quote

Click on this link to watch the restoration in real time at Das Wagen.

http://dropc.am/p/nYHZIn
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Dual Carb - Single Port VW Kit w/ Fram Filter Reply with quote

I picked up a dual-carb setup to add to the 40hp engine with single port heads. This is a vintage kit that should let the engine breath. It looks like the below photo with the coupling and linkage behind the fan shroud. I am going to do a Fram filter setup also, but don't think this location will work on a bus.

I am told that the dual carb setup was a dealer option in Europe and came off of a 59 Ghia that was imported in 64. I am guessing this wasn't a VW kit, but some early aftermarket thing, but does anyone recognize this setup?

Here are the revised dual-carb engine specs:
No-miles 1962 40hp engine case
Linebored case for mains and cam bearings
Retrofitted case to accept doghouse oil cooler
69mm crank
Special rods reconditioned
Engle W100 cam and all new bearings with 1600 rockers
Rebuilt square boss 1965 40hp heads
New 83mm Big Bore kit
High volume oil pump
OE VW muffler with splice to fit
Powder coated non-frash-air tin for cylinders, Fan Shroud, 36hp doghouse
12V conv 90mm Ger Bosch generator+IC regulator from RickC
Two Solex 28Pict Carburators with vintage Mann filters
019 Bosch Dist
Muthashabubu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more pictures or updates?
Did you get any more info on the carbs?
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muthashabubu wrote:
Any more pictures or updates?
Did you get any more info on the carbs?

The engine is due to be done this summer. No one had information on the dual-carb set-up. It might have been a Europe only thing.

If you go to the video link above, you can see the car stripped to bare metal and on the rotisserie at Das Wagen. Once the weather gets warmer, I expect it will get primer.

All is still looking good for the Summer '14 show season.
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Mann Airfilters Reply with quote

I picked-up NOS matching Mann mushroom air filters. They will work real well in a bus because of their low-height. Below is a pic of what they look like:

tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those filters are gonna look great in that engine bay!
reeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scored an original middle seat for my bus on The Samba. I paid more than my first VW cost for this, but am happy to finally have the correct one.

I talked to the engine builder, and it looks like August for my vintage speed 40 hp. Ian at Das Wagen expects to have the blasted body in primer very soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: