Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noise from 1 carb.....
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekrossi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Noise from 1 carb..... Reply with quote

I've noticed a thing with my Kads which I can't quite figure out. I run a single port engine, and from the beginning I've had a loud noise from the carbs, sort of a "brraaapp" sound when I accelerate, or when the engine is under load. I always associated this noise as the "carb roar" that often comes from switching to dual carbs.

While doing some recent tuning, I discovered that the noise is coming only from the driver's side carb. Don't know how I never noticed this before, but the passenger side carb doesn't seem to make the same noise at all. Carbs appear to be well balanced, and adjust well at idle. Valve adjustment is right on. No complaint with performance, they seem very responsive. Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 retarded? smaller gasket on 1&2 side causing a antireversion?
Mack_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I hear the sound louder from one side than the other when the linkage is not adjusted correctly... it is possible to have the idle the same on both, but then the linkage might have a little more push on one carb than the other.

Depending on the linkage used, I would try to loosen the side that is making noise. I run CB Performance hex bar linkage (on all carbs I've used in the past) and it makes it easy with turnbuckles on each side. I just loosen the nuts, and adjust the turnbuckle on one side to match the other. Engine running, part throttle.

I could be way off, but it's something to check Smile

Good luck!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some linkages have diferent ratios,(empi had rong &different raitos on thier due to using a thicker material for the arm&not compensating for the bend radi witch threw off the ratio) check to see if your all even, you might have one in the rong hole& need to flip &stick in another hole.or make a new hole alltogeather. if thats the issue.
ekrossi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Scat linkage which seems to work very well. I did have to rig up a shade tree connection from the throttle arms on the carbs to connect it without hitting the fresh air tubes on the fan shroud. It appears to be opening the carbs evenly, but maybe I should check the synch at different points in the throttle operation to be sure it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mack_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I recommend (being very careful!) to crack the throttle a little, and stick your head between the carbs. Listen for the one making more noise than the other and adjust accordingly Smile
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack_T wrote:
Yeah, I recommend (being very careful!) to crack the throttle a little, and stick your head between the carbs. Listen for the one making more noise than the other and adjust accordingly Smile
not if you have long hair or a neck tie!!!(or big titties that may get cought in the fanbelt) Shocked just tryen to cover it all. depending on if you can see down the throtes of the carbs, have someone mashit wot and look to see if there both wfo.(motor off of corse)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: