Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lean running condition
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Lean running condition Reply with quote

So I bought this '59 beetle last summer:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I spent all winter assembling it back into a car with the intention of selling it:

But due to a problem with the motor, I can't sell it:

It starts and idles very nicely but as soon as you step on the gas it goes extremely lean. What happens is that you can feel the accelerator pump give its little shot and as soon as that fuel is burnt the power drops out and it starts to backfire out the carb. I have tried 2 carbs on the car, both rebuilt as carefully as I know how. I took the intake off and leak tested it as well as made sure the preheat tube was not blocked or leaking. I set the valves up very carefully and checked the timing and advance with a timing light. I checked the throttle shaft play and both carbs were as tight as I have seen an old 28PCI. I am at a loss for what my next step is in troubleshooting this engine. Someone suggested to me that it might be a cracked head but it runs too smoothly for that I think.

A bit about myself: I have been working on '50s beetles since 1979 specializing in 1959 T1, I have had probably a dozen '58s and '59s. This is the first time I have run into a problem like this. I welcome any and all suggestions. I have a fuel pump rebuild kit on the way and will see if this makes any difference.

BTW I made a heavily modified Triumph TR6 engine with Zenith-Strombergs on it purr like a kitten so how hard can this be?

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
berliner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: craps out Reply with quote

Have a look at the vacuum advance mechanism;they have a tendency to stick/seize after fifty years or so.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I rebuilt the fuel pump thinking it might not be putting out enough pressure to keep the float bowl full but it made no difference what ever. Tomorrow I will swap in a known good distributor. I know you all are on the edge of your seats on this one so I won't keep you in suspence.

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lean running condition Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

But due to a problem with the motor, I can't sell it:

It's just like in Herbie. It knows it belongs with you so it won't run when buyers come around. Very Happy

Your expertise very obviously exceeds my by several orders of magnitude, but from what you've written, logic does suggest you're on the right track with the fuel supply assumption. Could it be something simpler, like clogged lines farther up?

I'm afraid I don't have much to offer other than good wishes. I love the early big windows. Looks like a great car with lots of potential. Hope it finds a good home.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have way more under your belt than I do, and I got to start with an unmolested kept by the book ride- did you check the vacum connections to the carb? Mine has to be threaded just so. Does the advance work on the distributor?

Rebuilding the fuel pump, did you replace the interior springs? Rebuild kit with little metal internal 'valves', or hexagonal thicker (what ever they are made from with the cross hatching on them) 'valves'? I've had the metal ones get whacked in the pump because they are too thin and the springs cannot close them right as the springs are near the end of their spring ability. Hole in pump diaphragm?

Hows the gas tank sock filter, and is the fuel tap clear of rotted rubber crap from not being used?
ejonn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually squirt something around the throttle shaft to check for a leak? I chased a very similar problem and thats what it took to find it.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I sqirted brake clean all around the intake and carburetor. I rebuilt the fuel tap and cleaned the fuel line out with gunk carb cleaner. I did not replace the springs in the fuel pump but took it apart and cleaned everything and made sure the check valves were working before installing it.

Tonite I made a tool to check the vacuum advance on the distributor. I took a vacuum pump with a gauge on it and hooked it to the disty. It started pulling the plunger in around 150 mmHg and the plunger was all the way in by 220 mmHg. I then left it for a few minutes and there was no drop in vacuum. So the vacuum advance works and does not leak.

I do not know what to do next.

1. I changed carbs
2. I checked the intake for leaks
3. I checked the heat riser for leaks or blockage
4. I changed the fuel pump
5. I tested the vacuum advance for leaks and function.
6. I rebuilt the fuel tap and cleaned out the fuel line.

Perhaps I will make a gauge to test fuel pump pressure.

Don
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used a timing light on my 6v system, just done it static with a test lamp. How did you do it with a timing light without a degree pully?

Have you checked the points/cap/rotor?

When you re did the carb, did you take out the brass plug and clean the two ball bearings related to the accelorator pump? Is the float operating right? I've had a couple of rebuild kits come with float valves where the pin did not consistantly open as the float moved.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a timing light when I first started the motor and it worked nicely. You can see the notch in the pulley advancing as you rev the motor to about 30 degrees.

Everything in the ignition system is new. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points and condensor.

When I step on the gas I can feel the shot from the accelerator pump make the car accelerate normally and then once that is burned, the power drops out and it starts backfiring thru the carb.

I am going to assemble one of my other motors and put all the top end parts from this motor on it and see if the problem persists. If it does then I know it is a top end thing and if it doesn't then I will know if it is a bottom end thing.

Don
Hammarlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How did you do it with a timing light without a degree pully?

In ascending order of difficulty:
(1) Get a protractor and make a template, or print one off the internet (there's one here on the Samba, somewhere). Use it to mark your pulley.

(2) Find the circumference of your pulley. C = pi x d, where C is circumference, pi is the well-known mathematical constant of 3.14..., and d is the diameter in whatever measurement unit you choose to use. (Remember, radius is one-half the distance across the face of the pulley. The full distance is diameter.)

Once you know the circumference, divide by 360 to get the number of degrees per unit of choice, then mark the pulley at 32 degrees or whatever is appropriate for your distributor.

(3) Get a carpenter's square, or just about any kind of surface with a 90 degree angle. Mark the ninety degrees temporarily, with one mark at TDC. Measure between the two marks, and make a third mark exactly halfway between them. This is 45 degrees. Measure the distance between the 45 degree mark and the TDC; this is 22.5 degrees. Mark that, measure between the mark you just made and the 45 degree mark and make a mark halfway between them; this is 11.25 degree. And so on...

Keep splitting it until you get something between 30 -32 degrees, and use that as your timing mark.

Actually, the last one isn't as bad as it sounds if the marks are made before the pulley is installed on the engine. It's what I did, and it only took a few minutes.

There are no doubt other ways to do this.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of trouble to go to when I know from other degreed pulleys what 30 degrees looks like. There is no doubt that the advance is working. It is a feul delivery problem.

Don
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the jetting in the carb? Checked for intake leaks? Tried adjusting the accel pump stroke (I think early carbs let you put the cotter pin in one if several holes to adjust). Did you fit the accel pump cover loosely at first, then hold the throttle fully open, and only then, tighten the screws?
ejonn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it run at all off idle?
Have you used a known good carb?
There's no mention of your inlet valve (the new ones in the kits are notoriously bad).
What's the bowl fuel level level look like?
Does it run any different with the choke closed a bit?
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
Please reread the whole thread.
Closing the choke a little does not make a difference since the 28PCI opens the throttle before the choke butterfly makes much difference to the mixture. It still runs lean even with the choke all the way out.

Quote:
1. I changed carbs, making sure of all the jets.
2. I checked the intake for leaks
3. I checked the heat riser for leaks or blockage
4. I changed the fuel pump
5. I tested the vacuum advance for leaks and function.
6. I rebuilt the fuel tap and cleaned out the fuel line.

Quote:
When I step on the gas I can feel the shot from the accelerator pump make the car accelerate normally and then once that is burned, the power drops out and it starts backfiring thru the carb.

Don
ejonn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....I guess your calling the inlet valve a "tap" ?

What Im asking is

Your description of the symptoms strikes me as while driving. Is it the same in neutral not under load.

If you have tried a known working carb.....not one you rebuilt and really don't know if its good or not.

Actually looked at the bowl after it leans out to see if its running low or dry?
If you look into the carb (not running of course) after it runs lean , and actuated the accel pump, how many "shots" will it pump?
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel tap is under the gas tank. The inlet valve is in the lid of the carburetor.

It does not display any symptoms when it is not under load. That is to say it only has a problem when I am driving and accelerating. Although, It does backfire occasionally when driving over 50 Km/h into a wind. The car will not go much faster than 55 Km/h at any time. At first I thought the rings were siezed but it does not smoke at all. I have not taken the compression. I will say again: when the accelerator pump gives its shot the car behaves normally.

The one thing I have not done is lift the lid to look at the level in the float bowl. I will do that today. The reason I have not done this previously is because the blue '59 has a problem with the fuel tap where it gets plugged and does not deliver enough fuel to the pump. The car runs fine until the float bowl empties and then the engine dies. If I put the clutch in and pump the accelerator the car comes back to life. It never exibits the lean running condition that I am experiencing with the red car. How many of you have run your car out of gas? Because mine has no gas gauge, I run it dry regularly. It coughs and sputters and finally dies but never loses power or backfires thru the carb.

Even though I have tested the intake manifold for leaks, I cannot escape the idea that it is the problem.

As for the "known good carburetor". It is a good suggestion BUT: 28 PCI is such a simple device and I have rebuilt so many of them and neither of ones I used made the slightest difference, I can't believe it is a carburetor problem.

Keep the suggestions coming, this is very helpful.

Don
larryvance66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a see through fuel filter on the system? If not get one. Look at the filter and see what it looks like when the car is running. If the filter is full it or something upstream is clogged. If it goes empty it is starved i.e. clogged tank petcock or line. When all is normal the filter should be half gas and half air bubble. This may help narrow it down. Other things I can think of:
-Fuel filters built into carb blocked.
-Fuel line partially clogged. (Had a mud dobber do this to me while a line was off a car for a couple days)
-Coil not putting out.
Sorry I got nothing for sure but maybe.......
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took the car for a drive and made sure it was warmed up nicely. I stepped hard on the throttle making it backfire thru the carb and turned off the ignition and drifted over to the side of the road. I took the lid off the carb and the float bowl was full right to where it is supposed to be.

On to the next idea.

Don
ejonn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, I was hoping that it would be something easy after all the work you've done...

Things that make you go hmmmm...(insert head scratcher emoticon here)
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is itcompression and a leakdown test time- fuel delivery appears to be answered.
Are you sure the valves are set right?
The timing is not 180 degrees out?
I'm wondering if the vacum advance, while pulling vacum may not be advancing correctly- there is an adjustment on the shaft that can be made
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: