Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting engine first time, how do I elegantly feed it gas?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Starting engine first time, how do I elegantly feed it gas? Reply with quote

I usually wind up jury rigging some type of can and getting gas everywhere. What is a really good and elegant, clean, way to feed gasoline to an engine I'm trying to start?

The engine is in the bug but I don't want to run gas from the unknown gas tank.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let gravity be your friend

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist get your fire supression gear in place. You don't want to loose a new engine, car and garage.

Next you can rig all sorts of gas cans to feed the fuel line before the pump.

Heck just run a long hose from the inlet side of the pump and stick the other in your gas can. It'll feed.

But before you hook all that up, pull the plugs out and wind the engine over a little to get some oil up to all those vital rotating parts.

Then put the plugs back in, hook up your fuel line and start cranking.

You can pour a LITTLE fuel straight down the carb, or give it a squirt of starting fluid. This will help things along until the fuel gets pumped through the line, pump and fills the fuel bowl.

Just remember, often times when doing this you can get a FLAMMING back fire out the carb! So don't be standing there with a cup full of gas next to the carb as you are trying to wind it over!

I prefer to use starting fluid for a first time fire up. It's a little safer as it stays in the can until you push the nozzle. And one of the most difficult things about a new start up is not knowing if you have enough or too much fuel.

It may not fire because it isn't getting enough fuel, or it may not fire because you have flooded it. Starting fluid will light off when you have a very small amount and it will usually light off if things are flooded and the plugs are wet.
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a bottle like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It contains 100 octane and some 2 cycle oil

i usually either put end In hose before fuel pump or Right before carb

squeeze for a little bit of pressure and Vwallaaaa

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use carb cleaner over the starting fluid, same concept, but a little less aggressive. plus i usually have it around. as doc said, if everything is set up right, it will fire on the spray. if it doesn't fire you know there is a problem, and you didn't spend ten minutes cranking it over wondering what is wrong.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting a engine for the first time, or starting a engine in which the carburetor is dry:

Disconnect coil wire, crank engine until oil pressure comes up and connect coil wire and crank until engine tries to catch ( now you know you have fuel ) now for the first time touch the carburetor(s) by letting the accelerator work by giving it three good squirts. Use the throttle plate as your choke. After it starts on a fresh engine bring it up to 2,000 for twenty minutes.
On a engine that is run, say once a month and the carburetor is dry the procedure is the same except the 2,000 rpm bit. There are a few reasons for this procedure; One is oil pressure first before anything else, Two accelerator pumps wear out extremely fast if there is no fuel in them. This is especially true of the piston type pumps, but diaphragm pumps will crack too.

D.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions and excellent posts!

'You can't have a day of working on Volkswagens without getting gas all over yourself' - my buddy Eric's quote. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: