Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing axle rear bearing installation
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
The seals go in from the inside. Maybe thats why they are so stuck if you are trying to drive them out the wrong way.

Also, while you have the transmission out of the car, make sure you check to see that the fill plug is loose! It really sucks to find out it's stuck when it's in the car with very little room to work.

Don't put fluid in until evrything is finished and the brake drums are on and axle nuts are TIGHT! Otherwise, you will get leaks past your new seals and onto your new brake shoes and clean floor.

Wow ! Drscope nailed it. I just went out and tried the 17mm fill plug on the rebuilt tranny and had to buy a 1/2 inch driver just to get that thing loose ! No way in hell could I have loosened that with transaxle installed in car. nice job, Dr. Thank you. I lubed the threads with 30 weight oil and plan on leaving it loose until fill time under car. Do I dare ask how you knew that ? Wink
Dubbydubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's pretty much THE ACVW guru, omniscient if you will.
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to grease pack the rear bearing ? I can understand the front bearings, but the rear ? Thanks all
buickman_86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i am aware the rear bearing is lubricated by trany oil and they do not pack them at all its the oil that lubricates them
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buickman_86 wrote:
as far as i am aware the rear bearing is lubricated by trany oil and they do not pack them at all its the oil that lubricates them

That is kind of what I was thinking too, but wanted to ask the experts here as I have heard both
Dubbydubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Muir book says you can grease it...can't really tell by his language whether it was a must-do or a choice.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never greased a rear axle bearing on a swingaxle Beetle. I've never lowered the rear of a Beetle enough to have negative camber either. The outer bearings run in gear oil -- I'm not sure how they survive even 3000 miles in the slammed Bugs.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't grease them. It just makes things greasy and slippery and messy if you do. The job is already unpleasent enough.

Once everything is back in the car, put the brake drums on and TORQUE them to spec BEFORE you fill the transmission with gear oil!

If you don't do that, the small O-Ring will not seal on the axle and when you fill the transmission, gear oil will get all over your nicely cleaned and painted backing plate, and your new brake shoes, and your garage floor.

I try to get the axles close to ride height, then fill the transmission. Then before I let the car down off the jacks I let the wheels hang down for a couple minutes so gear oil can go out there to the wheel bearing (maybe) and that also gives me a chance to make sure the axle boots aren't going to pop off the flange latter if you jack it up or do some really spirited driving.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: