Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Manxter 2+2 Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott - as far as drilling the hole for the steering colum, if you use the directions that are supplied with the kit, you will be fine. Basicly you make a straight edge that goes from the steering box to the steering colum mount, but jogs around the the "firewall". See below. It will work. Tom

________________!--------!______________
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA

Last edited by Tom_Kathleen on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your build is looking great!! Quick couple questions, Are you gonna use a VW gas tank? If so what sender are you using for the Legacy guage? Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Scott - as far as drilling the hole for the steering colum, if you use the directions that are supplied with the kit, you will be fine. Basicly you make a straight edge that goes from the steering box to the steering colum mount, but jogs around the the "firewall".

Tom - You're right. This method worked flawlessly. I did have to use a half-round file to open it up a wee bit more and help with the angle through the firewall, but it was minor.

vw60bug - I did buy a vw gas tank. I know it will need to be modified, but I don't know to what extent yet. The filler pipe is too tall, so I know it will need shortened. But until I get the hood mounted, I'm not sure if I'll need to relieve the bump that goes across the front of the tank. I hadn't given much thought yet to the sender, but I'm thinking I will be able to use a stock vw one. The gauge is completely programmable. According to what I've read, you can set high & low levels, and also when the low level light comes on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's how the column/u-joint/VW adapter turned out. It's so straight, I may not have needed the u-joint.

Here's the crack I mentioned in an earlier post. It is at the C-post on the passenger side, where the rear-most bar bolts though the back to the end of the side bar. I've unbolted it to look closer and it does not look like it starts at the hole. Slightly above and on the back of the hole in the bracket there is a small tack of weld that was missed before the bars were powder coated. It appears this tack is what started the crack. I talked for quite some time to a friend who has repaired FG bathtubs for the past 10 years and did FG body work on cars before that. While he hasn't been out yet, he assures me that it is cosmetic only, and should not spread. I've still got a sour stomach over it, hoping he's right and it won't spread. You can only see it if you look at the right angle. At other angles, you don't even see it. Am I ok? I have zero FG experience. I can't imagine what it would take to color match with the metal flake.

This picture is much worse than it appears live, but I wanted to try to capture the detail up close.

And here's where I am overall. This weekend plans are to get the lower dash tub mounted and maybe to try to tackle the windshield,

Thanks for looking!

Scott
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott - one other tip while building your Manxter. It is not a good idea to pull the roof support bars too far into place. This can cause more stress cracks in the fiberglass. Make spacers out of aluminum or steel to cut down on the stress at the connections through the body. Ask us how we know. Tom
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Ask us how we know. Tom

I asked Kathleen at Carlisle about the extra spacers you have on the hoops. She had told me you found cracks when you re-bodied your car. She put up with my hour of questioning, God bless her. She was very nice and really pointed me in the right direction on many things. Thanks for letting me crawl all over your Manx looking for the details. I took tons of pictures.

I did use additional spacers on the B hoop, and called Winnie to order four more for the A hoop, which I need to double up on. The C hoop was closest of them all so I didn't use any. I truly think my crack was caused by a small BB of weld left on the backside of the bracket. I still am hoping it doesn't spread.

Scott
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbussard wrote:
Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Ask us how we know. Tom

I asked Kathleen at Carlisle about the extra spacers you have on the hoops. She had told me you found cracks when you re-bodied your car. She put up with my hour of questioning, God bless her. She was very nice and really pointed me in the right direction on many things. Thanks for letting me crawl all over your Manx looking for the details. I took tons of pictures.

I did use additional spacers on the B hoop, and called Winnie to order four more for the A hoop, which I need to double up on. The C hoop was closest of them all so I didn't use any. I truly think my crack was caused by a small BB of weld left on the backside of the bracket. I still am hoping it doesn't spread.

Scott

Just a quick note, mine is done the same with, with the spacers.

Also, as for your gas tank, if mine is any indications, you will need to clearnce the front of the tank:

Manxter #39 on a 1971 Pan
Turbo-charged Subaru EJ25D (DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3923620/1971-volkswagen-beetle#

-Adam
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott. I'm glad our conversation @ Carlisle was helpful. Maybe next year, I'll get to see your Manxter.

Another area where we had some problems with cracking on the first body was on the passenger side in the rear @ the outer edge of the shelf. If the upper bumper mounts are anywhere near the body, they will hit the fiberglass and crack it. On my Manxter, it was worse on the passenger side than the drivers. The fact that I had issues with my chassis may have added to my troubles.
As far as the gas tank goes, we used a '67and earlier tank and only had to change the filler neck to fit it under the hood.

Kathleen
Manx Club & CVA
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam - Are you saying yours has the cracks also? Thanks for the info on the tank. Yours looks different than mine, maybe I bought a pre-67 like Kathleen's. I'd have to dig thru the receipts to be sure, but I had asked Tom before I bought mine and I'm fairly certain I bought what he suggested.

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Another area where we had some problems with cracking on the first body was on the passenger side in the rear @ the outer edge of the shelf. Kathleen

Kathleen - Thanks. My current self imposed deadline is Oct 2013 for MOTB. I don't think I'll have mine done for Carlisle next year, but I plan on being there even if it's without the Manxter. Funds, time, and lack of heat in the garage in the winter...

The upper bumper brackets on mine are indeed close. Any words of wisdom? The passenger side on mine is also closer. Driver's side is close but not as bad.

Pass side from above

Pass side from below

Pass side from rear

Also, I'm now on to the windshield. The "manual" (I use the term loosely) says that the top center of the fiberglass should touch the T-bars tubes. I can't quite get it to touch, maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch away. The bottom of the windshield appears to be correctly placed. I've even loosened the bolts on the A hoop brackets and tried moving the body out more with a cloth covered pry bar like the manual suggests, even though this feels so wrong.

If I get the top of the windshield to touch the T-bars, how would I get the roll bar foam behind it? I'm thinking I'm good with the 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap, but the manual is explicit to get it right or the hinge mechanism might not work correctly.

In the mean time, my son now likes to make Vrrooom sounds from the driver's seat. He has actually been helping quite a bit recently. This was intended to be a father/son project but he initially made it very clear he wanted no part in helping, going as far as telling me that I couldn't make him carry parts from the front porch to the garage.I let it slide, but was disappointed at the time. Spending time, even in short periods, with him has been wonderful. He's 14 now and I know I'll blink and he'll be off to college.

Thanks,
Scott
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours was close like that too. It broke the fiberglass. We didn't realize how badly until we tore the car apart for the subi engine. We had to modify the bumper for the subi and turbo so now it's not an issue.

If you can modify the bracket to bring it more outboard of the body, it would be better. Tom and I think you will need 3/4th to 1 inch of clearance.
It's a fine balance 'cuz you won't want to get tooo far into the wheel well area.

The windshield is tight on the sides with a little space @ the top. I wasn't able to put all the foam around the bar. I cut away part of the foam and only covered the part of the hoop that's inside the car. I held it in place with Glad Press and Seal. I cut strips and wrapped the strips around the foam and bar in multiple places. It holds the foam in place under the naugahyde.

We know about the cold garage. We finally bought a kerosene heater that we use in the winter. It works really well. The only problem is the floor stays so cold you can see your breath when your down low. We also stand on carpet or foam pieces to keep our feet warmer. We do most of our work in the winter so we have a running car in the summer. 'Cuz, "Girls just a wanna have fu-unn!!"

Okay, MOTB 2013. It's good to set a date. I find it helps keep me motivated and on track.

Kathleen
Manx Club & CVA
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention the windshield as I just installed my new one yesterday. I saw the note about how its supposed to touch the t bars but my first one didnt and this new one certainly can't.

-Adam
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kathleen - Thank you, thank you, thank you! I took a fresh look at my rear bumper upper support brackets. I had it mounted as such from the inside outward, bolt head-->shock-->bracket-->upper shock mount on frame-->nut. With this set up, the bracket was so close like in my earlier pics.

I found that if I moved the bracket to the outside, bolt head-->shock-->upper shock mount on frame-->bracket-->nut, it gives it sooo much more clearance. I thought I had tried it this way but it threw off the angles for the Manxter bumper, but the bumper angled edges are still right on. Once I moved the bracket, I think I have the clearance I need. It's still within the plane of the upper bump stop on the frame, so tire clearance will not be an issue.

That one little tidbit from you saved my body from future damage. That's why I like this forum so much. You never know what little piece of knowledge will save you from so much aggravation in the future. And everyone is so willing to take the time to share their knowledge. Thanks for the info on the windshield also, that will be next weekend's plan.

@Adam - Since you are so well versed and within your recent experience, what's your plan for this weekend? Or any week night this week? Very Happy I could use someone to hold my hand while I run the drill.... Cool I think everything is lined up, but that explicit warning in the manual has me second guessing myself.

Passenger side from side

Passenger side from rear
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73SpeedBuggy wrote:
... I just installed my new one yesterday.

I also meant to mention how quickly Winnie got you the new parts. I'm sure it didn't seem quick to you though. How'd the color match? Did you have any problems with your insurance? And what company do you have?

I'm glad you're getting it back together, even if you are moving across the state.

Scott
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbussard wrote:
73SpeedBuggy wrote:
... I just installed my new one yesterday.

I also meant to mention how quickly Winnie got you the new parts. I'm sure it didn't seem quick to you though. How'd the color match? Did you have any problems with your insurance? And what company do you have?

I'm glad you're getting it back together, even if you are moving across the state.

Scott

You're right, it certainly didn't seem fast! It was about 60 days from when I ordered to when I received the new parts. Color match is pretty good. Insurance was fine, as I'm insured a specially constructed vehicle through USAA.

-Adam
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the windshield is on! It's not perfect but I'm happy now with the fit. It's off maybe an 1/8 to 1/4" side to side, not enough to notice unless you are a first-born perfectionist like me. The brackets were not welded in the same place on each side and I didn't catch it until the main bars were powder coated and installed. It came that way from Meyers and we made the best of what we had. There wasn't much I could do about it without removing everything, fixing the bracket, and having it re-powder coated.

My neighbor Louie helped and I wouldn't have got it nearly as good without him. He talked me into grinding one of the hinge brackets down for a better fit, and it worked great. I'll take pics of what we had to do and post them this weekend.

Thanks for the help and encouragement,
Scott
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get a picture of what we had to grind off, but now that the windshield is installed, it's tough to get a pic.

The front hinge brackets on the A hoop were not welded on in the same location. The driver's side was welded more inward of center of the downward roll bar, while the passenger side was almost dead center on the roll bar. The passenger side was the side that gave us trouble, it hit on the fiberglass surround of the windshield.

A bad picture, but you may be able to make out the black stub just to the left of the aluminum spacer sleeve. We had to grind a considerable amount off this hinge bracket so the surround would sit down and around the bar.

I am now on to the rear apron lid. The question I have is on mounting the lower rear bracket for the prop rod.

The manual shows to mount it like this:

But I will need to flatten the back side of the fender in order to get it to sit flat. What's the best way to do this? Dremel, files, sand it?

Here's how it sits today:

Thanks,
Scott
wvmedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the build coming along? Any updates?
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wvmedic wrote:
How is the build coming along? Any updates?

Slowly plugging away. Kids are back in school and life got a bit busier for awhile.

I got the front hood mounted on the hinge, but still need to mount the catches. Front bumper is done also.

The rear apron lid is 100% now also. I'm too ashamed to admit how many hours I have in getting it right, but it took waaaay longer than I thought it would. But it opens and closes easy now. I painted the beauty ring on the tail lights and mounted them also.

And I started marking where to drill for the bracket to open/tilt the roof.

Here's what it looks like today, roof is only sitting on the top. I can't wait to pull the blue painters tape off and see it all, but I want to wait until I get the wiring done before I pull the tape.

I'm going to need to find different front rims to pass PA inspection. The wheels stick out too much. The rims I have were a temporary/permanent set until I can afford what I really want.

Thanks for looking,

Scott
Manx Australia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet build, very nice colour. I wouldn't worry to much about the little hiccups along the way.... it wouldn't be a kit car build it it didn't need some tweeks.

What body number do you have ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's number 122. I started the ordering process in Sept 2011 and it was delivered in Feb 2012. Thanks for the compliment on the color, it's looks so much better in person too. I'm well ahead of where I had planned to be. I've enjoyed every step of the project, no matter how many challenges come along.

Thanks,
Scott
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only just looked at this, Scott, and I have to say I'm seriously impressed.
You talk about how long it took you to do this or that and your reticence and reluctance on particular tasks but I think it only goes to show your thorough and persistant approach to the project.
My brother has a locally made late '60s J&S buggy he resto-modded himself and it took him ages.
More to the point he was more focused on the handling of the car and less on aesthetics so his finish in places was less than showroom, but then he was building an offroad car to race.
Yours, OTOH, is shaping up to be a remarkable example.
What's the expression.....measure 3 times, cut once.
I look forward to seeing this one come together.
Keep up the good work.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: