Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Super Beetle Rebuild thread (not another!)
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: 1971 Super Beetle Rebuild thread (not another!) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bought my first VW Super Beetle, from California shipped her over to Texas.

So, today Pulled my engine on my new 1971 Super Beetle. (doing this to replace all the Tin. missing oil cooler tin haha....

I drove this beetle on the highway, seems fine to me.

Apon removing the engine the nut (or is a bolt?) that is by the clutch cable is missing! wow. Crying or Very sad

There is no stud in the engine case, is this normal? How should i go about fixing it.

On a closer look you can see in yellow the fresh chips/ scratches in the transmission bell house. the one with the arrow looks to be ground down? (be someone or the engine?) (the area in red, should this be greased?/ it moves side to side up and down just a little too... is that normal?)

The transmission is leaking a rather large amount of oil? (or grease) from the differential.. Where the axles meet the transmission that part of transmission is CAKED in black oil and fresh oil...

Should i just get a newly rebuilt one?

while the engine is out it appears oil leaking from where the case meets the cylinders.... I should do a rebuild while its out anyway.

Please share your thoughts. This is my first time working on any such car!

Last edited by Mr.Duncan on Wed May 16, 2012 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top driver side bolt was most likely left out by the last person to pull the engine. Get another one from Ace Hardware with the nut and you'll be fine. MANY, MANY of these bolts are left out in re-installs. Most people figure that if 3 bolts won't hold it, that the 4th one won't do any good either.

Yes, grease the output shaft from the transaxle before you re-install. It is supposed to wiggle a little up and down and sideways. I'd also check the gland nut on the front of the crankshaft which holds the flywheel. There are bearings inside. If they've been run dry, then replace the gland nut and grease it well before re-installing the engine. You can polish the output shaft with crocus cloth or emory cloth. Don't get crazy with high grit sandpaper.

The chips - are you sure they are fresh? I had a small pebble fall into the starter hole once and it caused some spots like this which I noticed when the engine was pulled. I don't believe it's possible that you did this when the engine was pulled. Seems like the lower studs would have held the engine above the housing until the flywheel cleared. No premanent damage, though. Although it doesn't appear to be leaking inside the bell housing, you may as well change the output shaft seal while the engine's out.

You didn't mention mileage on the engine, but, if you are going to rebuild it - don't skimp on quality parts and mic/measure all tolerances before re-using moving parts. It's easier to do right once than to patch it a couple more times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many leave that bolt off because they are clueless to how to install it.

It's a M10x70, just make sure it's Grade 8.8

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
The top driver side bolt was most likely left out by the last person to pull the engine. Get another one from Ace Hardware with the nut and you'll be fine. MANY, MANY of these bolts are left out in re-installs. Most people figure that if 3 bolts won't hold it, that the 4th one won't do any good either.

Yes, grease the output shaft from the transaxle before you re-install. It is supposed to wiggle a little up and down and sideways. I'd also check the gland nut on the front of the crankshaft which holds the flywheel. There are bearings inside. If they've been run dry, then replace the gland nut and grease it well before re-installing the engine. You can polish the output shaft with crocus cloth or emory cloth. Don't get crazy with high grit sandpaper.

The chips - are you sure they are fresh? I had a small pebble fall into the starter hole once and it caused some spots like this which I noticed when the engine was pulled. I don't believe it's possible that you did this when the engine was pulled. Seems like the lower studs would have held the engine above the housing until the flywheel cleared. No premanent damage, though. Although it doesn't appear to be leaking inside the bell housing, you may as well change the output shaft seal while the engine's out.

You didn't mention mileage on the engine, but, if you are going to rebuild it - don't skimp on quality parts and mic/measure all tolerances before re-using moving parts. It's easier to do right once than to patch it a couple more times.

Should i most likely go with a rebuilt tranny because of the leaking?

im assuming it has 70,ooo + because the speedometer stopped working and PO does not know when.

So that missing bolt, is it a stud with a nut? or just a bolt that screws into the engine case.

I was watching the rebuild engine from Bug me video, on how to check if parts are worn/ replacing like cams crank etc. i should follow this im assuming.

Last edited by Mr.Duncan on Wed May 16, 2012 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cadaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pulled engine, Missing Bolts / bell house rubbing Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
So, today Pulled my engine on my new 1971 Super Beetle. (doing this to replace all the Tin. missing oil cooler tin haha....

the cooling has overhead, missing tins, reduces the extra capacity.
so when its hot outside (say 120 in shade) and thin air, Colorado springs.
it overheats the motor. (water cars the same , the rad is extra large)

upon removing the engine the nut (or is a bolt?) that is by the clutch cable is missing! wow. Crying or Very sad
its a bolt and nut, do not run the motor with out this and torqued to spec.

There is no stud in the engine case, is this normal? How should i go about fixing it. the Engine,(not shown) has 2 bottom mount studs
are they Really missing as stated above, if yes , way bad
my guess is you are guesing the that motor had 4 studs, it dont
buy a Bentleys so you dont have to ask all 1000 questions.

On a closer look you can see in yellow the fresh chips/ scratches in the transmission bell house. the one with the arrow looks to be ground down? (be someone or the engine?) (the area in red, should this be greased?/ it moves side to side up and down just a little too... is that normal?)
Q1, A1: the PO never heard of saw of a torque wrench
or was using the starter to align the tranny pilot to the gland with the starter. ONLY YOU Know the torque was on those 3 engine bolts /nuts.
Q2A2: Sachs clutches come with the grease in the box. or you can buy some anywhere. yes, its special.

The transmission is leaking a rather large amount of oil? (or grease) from the differential.. Where the axles meet the transmission that part of transmission is CAKED in black oil and fresh oil...
( that be a leak, fresh is bad, there is only 1 fix, new seals)
some PPL love leaks, depends no rate of leak, if you can keep up....
marks your spot like tony the tiger...
you must discover , is the CV leaking or tranny real.
this is easy, put fresh lube to nose. sniff sniff
Smells like grease ,it is and is CV
smells likey Hypoid GL4 gear lube , it is and is tranny.
if your nose is not trained, then train it, that is so easy
open the side fill plug, on tranny ,dip in finger, sniff sniff, yup Hypoid,(i hope)
(there are rare exceptions, had one car with this fancy GL4/5 syn brand lube
that smelled like honey, but yours will not, i bet.

Should i just get a newly rebuilt one? (tranny? or engine?)
only you know that answer. i can tell you , if you can afford one. or
if you have the patience to keep up with a leak or wife kicked your
bug out of the garage because she just hands the smell of Hypoid lube in the morning... etc. etc... are you a purist, or Bob Dillon guy.

while the engine is out it appears oil leaking from where the case meets the cylinders.... I should do a rebuild while its out anyway.
R&R end to end, never ending...

All old cars are like this,
worn parts
wrong parts
shoddy workmanship
defective new parts (clones)
missing parts.
it's a saga, all old cars, not just vw.
In fact it never ends, as you own the car , you will find more things wrong
and this may end after about 10 years.
Some dont even notice, so long as the 3 pedals work.

Last edited by Cadaver on Wed May 16, 2012 9:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pulled engine, Missing Bolts / bell house rubbing Reply with quote

[quote="candymustang66"]
Mr.Duncan wrote:

the cooling has overhead, missing tins, reduces the extra capacity.
so when its hot outside (say 120 in shade) and thin air, Colorado springs.
it overheats the motor. (water cars the same , the rad is extra large)

upon removing the engine the nut (or is a bolt?) that is by the clutch cable is missing! wow. Crying or Very sad
its a bolt and nut, do not run the motor with out this and torqued to spec.

There is no stud in the engine case, is this normal? How should i go about fixing it. the Engine,(not shown) has 2 bottom mount studs
are they Really missing as stated above, if yes , way bad
my guess is you are guesing the that motor had 4 studs, it dont
buy a Bentleys so you dont have to ask all 1000 questions.

Q1, A1: the PO never heard of saw of a torque wrench
or was using the starter to align the tranny pilot to the gland with the starter. ONLY YOU Know the torque was on those 3 engine bolts /nuts.
Q2A2: Sachs clutches come with the grease in the box. or you can buy some anywhere. yes, its special.

( that be a leak, fresh is bad, there is only 1 fix, new seals)
some PPL love leaks, depends no rate of leak, if you can keep up....
marks your spot like tony the tiger...

Should i just get a newly rebuilt one?
only you know that answer. i can tell you , if you can afford one. or
if you have the patience to keep up with a leak or wife kicked your
bug out of the garage because she just hands the smell of Hypoid lube in the morning... etc. etc... are you a purist, or Bob Dillon guy.

R&R end to end, never ending...

The bottom two studs are there, There is a bolt that is sitting holding the starter in (remove a nut on the top of the engine)

the only stud/bolt missing was the one by the clutch cable.

Im in the process of replacing ALL the tin. (after i rebuild the engine.)
Cadaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you beat me, i had not finished editing, i edit online (lazy)

The bottom two studs are there, There is a bolt that is sitting holding the starter in (remove a nut on the top of the engine)

im not sure what that is ahh engine BOLT/NUT sure,,,,?

make sure your tins are for your year, and if the fan housing is tin
make sure you dont replace it.
not with out careful considerations. buying tins (new) is hard.
most new tins dont fit (clones) or are missing important features.
there are vast posting of the horrors,of this on this forum.

where the 3 engine bolts tight? or not.

replace the
2 lower engine mounts (tranny bell lower to bracket)
fresh ones are cheap and a great idea as , a new starter bushing.
the CV probably need a full service, id bet. but can see em....

Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candymustang66 wrote:
you beat me, i had not finished editing, i edit online (lazy)

im not sure what that is ,,,,?

thats the one in the top photo, its only there for the doghouse style fan.
make sure your tins are for your year, and if the fan housing is tin
make sure you dont replace it.
not with out careful considerations.

where the 3 engine bolts tight? or not.

replace the
2 lower engine mounts (tranny bell lower to bracket)
fresh ones are cheap and a great idea as , a new starter bushing.
the CV probably need a full service, id bet. but can see em....

they were kinda tight, i need a torque wrench when i re-install to see. most likely going to replace the differential seals.
what do you mean if the fan housing is tin, as in type of metal? im going to send it to awesomepowdercoating guy on the samba to replace any missing parts/ repaint them

drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolt with the nut installed to the rear. Change the transaxle fluid, but you don't need a new one just because of a leak. Does the transmission shift ok? If yes, then you
need to replace seals and gaskets at the leak points. Excessive grinding or noise? If yes, then it's more serious. Previois idea to change mounta is a good one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
Bolt with the nut installed to the rear. Change the transaxle fluid, but you don't need a new one just because of a leak. Does the transmission shift ok? If yes, then you
need to replace seals and gaskets at the leak points. Excessive grinding or noise? If yes, then it's more serious. Previois idea to change mounta is a good one.

IT shifts fine, only issue ive had, is when sometimes coming from 3rd down to 2nd. it grinds like its going into reverse gear Crying or Very sad (clutch all the way in)

so i go back up to 3rd and try for 2nd again and get it most the time....

any thoughts?
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be trying to go into reverse (unintentionally of course). The shifter plate located under the two 8 mm bolts holding down the shifter may be worn or mis-adjusted - or the shifter itself could be worn out, or shift shaft bushing worn/missing, or shift coupler worn out. Or it could be solved with the new clutch and pressure plate you will install after rebuild.

I recommend Bentley manuals on VW's 'cause that is what I'm accustomed to. I have a Muir's book that came with a car a few years ago but rarely refer to it out of habit. The manuals will give you detailed information on how to adjust the shifter plate to ensure positive lockout against shifting into reverse rather than second. Again - may be the transmission, but probably not. Adjusting the shift plate or changing the coupler is easy, but the shift shaft bushing takes a while.

See, there's never a simple answer.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, i pulled the engine all the way out to find... the part of the case that meets the transmission the top of it has some chips, BUT it still makes clean full contact with the tranny bell housing.. i hope this isn't a issue?

Soo.. anyone come into this problem before?

This three will be my progress/finds for my Beetle Smile
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it.

I was able to wiggle 2 spark plugs just barely... I'm a summing ill need new heads?
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with your engine lid? Looks like it has a big chunk of something attached to the inside.
Volkscab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems: Underside of engine lid is an original feature, albeit re-sprayed (attachment should be black, like the other engine tin). It collects rain that might enter the air grills in the lid. There should be two hoses, one each side, to channel any water to the base of the lid and then out through drain holes.
Volkscab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems: Underside of engine lid is an original feature, albeit re-sprayed (attachment should be black, like the other engine tin). It collects rain that might enter the air grills in the lid. There should be two hoses, one each side, to channel any water to the base of the lid and then out through drain holes.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volkscab wrote:

Yes. i am searching for the rubber grommets that go in the holes to hold the pipes on.
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Honestly, I've never seen one before. Thanks for learning me, Volkscab.
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah now I don't know what everyone is talking about, but that missing bolt is not a missing nut and bolt. It's just a bolt, see that round thing on the other side of the flange on the motor? That's a threaded insert, there should be a bolt that just bolts into the motor there. So on the motor you have four attachment thingys, two nuts on studs at the bottom, a nut and bolt on the top left (looking at the flywheel side), and the bolt I just mentioned on the top right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: