Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C Compressor - Cracked mounting bracket
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: A/C Compressor - Cracked mounting bracket Reply with quote

Hi,

New van, new problems!
When I bought the van (1990, 2WD, Westfalia, factory AC) , it didn't have an A/C belt. I tried to put one on yesterday to test it, and I found out two things:

1/ All the adjustment hardware is missing (on the left part of the unit, to adjust the belt tension). Is this easily sourceable/replaceable? Anybody have any pictures?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2/ Slightly more concerning, this: Crying or Very sad

Is this repairable?
On a scale that goes from duct tape to buying an new compressor and overhauling the entire system what's my best bet?

Cheers

JB
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Compressor - Cracked mounting bracket Reply with quote

You need a new compressor. This is a good opportunity to go through the system with a flush and reseal

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Compressor - Cracked mounting bracket Reply with quote

I see the threaded rod in your photo for the A/C adjustment.
Are the other bits gone?

Cracked comoressir ear?
New compressor time.

New hoses, new compressor, new Condensor, new rec/drier, flush out the Evaporator...... DIY Price? Just shy of $1000

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Compressor - Cracked mounting bracket Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I guess we'll spend the summer without A/C, see how it goes, and then I'll decide if we really missed it or not!
That will be a project for this winter, in addition to all other things I've postponed to winter. Very Happy

djkeev wrote:
I see the threaded rod in your photo for the A/C adjustment.
Are the other bits gone?
Dave

Yes. I believe there are four parts: two threaded rods and two sliding nuts. I only have the one threaded rod, the others are MIA. Does the new compressor have these, or do I still need to find some?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Compressor - Cracked mounting bracket Reply with quote

Check the classified section here for all the mounting bits you need. I've stopped driving my van until I resurrect the A/C after the engine swap. Once it gets close to 70F, it's just too miserable without the cool stuff circulating.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: