Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor/Distributor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
John. that's normal.

OK, so 28 deg max. advance then.
I'll let you know how I like it.
Thanks,
J.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Manny what her thinks about them. He has 4 or 5... i lost count.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mr mike and everett for the info on the fat cap dizzy. I'm gonna install mine soon. Cool
63 Single Cab
67 SO42 Westfalia
73 Thing
76 Kombi
82 Westfalia Deluxe
82 Quantum Coupe
85 Quantum Sedan
85 Quantum Syncro Wagon
96 Golf GL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CPO_05
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All, thanks for the info. The Pomona, CA Auto Swapmeet is coming up June 3rd, gonna go see if I can find a 019 or a 205.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 205 what? the numbers 205 designate "distributor". There are a great many 205 VW distributor versions.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CPO_05
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I had to research the difference between them and I can figure out is that with teh 30 PICT 1 I can use the 205m, 205t, 205L as Volksfire mentioned.

Is there a particular one I should look for?
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

I recently decided to get a new longblock for my 63 Bus. Previously, there was a 1500cc '66 engine with a 30 pict 1 carb and a 113905205T distributor. I was just wondering if I could use this setup on a 63 1500cc longblock? Or would I need to get another distributor and manifold/carb?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
I recently decided to get a new longblock for my 63 Bus. Previously, there was a 1500cc '66 engine with a 30 pict 1 carb and a 113905205T distributor. I was just wondering if I could use this setup on a 63 1500cc longblock? Or would I need to get another distributor and manifold/carb?

Yes, but tasb is the go-to expert.
tasb

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

The idea is to match the carburetor with the distributor. Since you've already done that just move them over. The bus may have originally had the short 211 manifold which utilized the speed governor.

Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
The idea is to match the carburetor with the distributor. Since you've already done that just move them over. The bus may have originally had the short 211 manifold which utilized the speed governor.

When I got the bus it had this combination. I found it odd that the 30 pict 1 carb would work with a distributor from later years but I suppose im fine, thanks! I'd like to get the original distributor that is supposed to go on a 63 1500cc with a 30 pict 1 would you know where I could get that info? Been searching for it but cant seem to find it
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Up near the top of this page... (well, every page)... there's a tab section called "Technical"

Click it (don't just pick one of the things that "drop down")... click on "Technical."

Then, scroll down to the very bottom of the page... there's a section called "Miscellaneous"

The fourth thing from the bottom of "Miscellaneous" is titled: "Bosch Tune-Up Parts Chart"

Click it... open the .pdf Here's a link if you're feeling too lazy to navigate.

Also use with this page:
http://members.trainorders.com/android/temp/CarbBaseFlangeNumbersA.doc

I believe the carb base flange number (modification state) you will be looking for is on the left side of the float bowl... on the rear facing 45 degree beveled part of the bowl (the corner). Earlier are on the back of the bowl... some are on the actual base flange of the carb.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by easy e on Mon May 09, 2016 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
tasb wrote:

When I got the bus it had this combination. I found it odd that the 30 pict 1 carb would work with a distributor from later years but I suppose im fine, thanks! I'd like to get the original distributor that is supposed to go on a 63 1500cc with a 30 pict 1 would you know where I could get that info? Been searching for it but cant seem to find it

A '63 1500cc engine had a 28 PICT with a "big cap" 4R5 distributor so if you want to run the 30 PICT-1, I would select the original distributor from a later Bus that had a 30 PICT-1

I believe that is a 131 905 205 as that is what is stated here on this VW engines chart, on the later Bus engines that have a 1500cc engine and a 30 PICT-1
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/m1.php
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Awesome info/link Everett... I'd never seen those.
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Thank you both! That's some great info in currently running a 113905205T distributor which is for later models and believe is not vacuum advance only. Wondering if I should put the right one in because I believe this is also for use with 30 pict 2 carbs
tasb

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

The 113 905 205 T is a single vacuum advance only distributor. It can be run with any 30 PICT series carburetor. The vacuum canister delivers 30 degrees of advance so it is static set at O degrees advanced or TDC.

Yes, the 131 905 205 will work too. It was a bus only distributor and is not very common. The 113 905 205 K is the exact same distributor and was run on both Beetle and Bus. it's much more common. The 131 and the 113 K vacuum canisters deliver 25 degrees of advance and are set at 7+1/2 degrees of advance when static.

tasb

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VolksFire wrote:
There have been many threads discussing this sort of topic. I would encourage you to research the forums a little bit, I know that many people have posted their experiences with various carb/distributor combinations. Anyways, here's my 2 cents.

I have used a 009, 019, 010, 205m, 205t, 205L, 205k, 205p.... at some point on my 1600 SP's with an original 30pict1 (and governor).

Pretty much any of those above 205 vacuum distributors will work. I happen to favor the 205m (the 64-65 version, part number 111 905 205m, not the 113 version from 68, but that one also works).

I run it on my 63 sc and dc, although I plan to experiment soon with a fat cap 40 hp dizzy which would've been original for a 63 with the 1500 option (yes, now a 1600).

Anyways, the 009 sucked but I carry one on long trips as a spare just in case of whatever and its a pretty basic dizzy and cheap, that's why they are popular. The 010 worked well on my 1600dp with a 34pict3 and on my 1776 with kadrons (although I now run an 019 on there). The 019 was the best as a mechanical dizzy option for the 1600sp, but I still prefer vacuum dizzys.

As for what carb to run, you already have it. The 30pict1 is awesome. 28 Picts just don't cut it on a 1600 (someone feel free to prove me wrong, I'd like to know how it's jetted and/or modified). The H30/31 is the new carb that's available new in the box. It also comes with an adapter to be run on a dp engine. Most of these new carbs leak bad thru the throttle shafts. At the shop i work at, we often have to return the carb and get another because it is so bad. Keep the 30pict1 and try a vacuum distributor.

I advise some caution with some of the information in this post. First, the distributor part numbers need to include the full number or at least the prefix as in 111 or 113. VW used no less than four different "205 M" distributors at various times in production. All distributors used in VW's are 205's, its VW's designation for the word "distributor". To get the best performance the distributor and carburetor need to be correctly matched.

This post is advocating mismatched pairs. You may get lucky and find a pairing that works but it won't deliver your best or intended performance.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with experimenting

Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
The 113 905 205 T is a single vacuum advance only distributor. It can be run with any 30 PICT series carburetor. The vacuum canister delivers 30 degrees of advance so it is static set at O degrees advanced or TDC.

Yes, the 131 905 205 will work too. It was a bus only distributor and is not very common. The 113 905 205 K is the exact same distributor and was run on both Beetle and Bus. it's much more common. The 131 and the 113 K vacuum canisters deliver 25 degrees of advance and are set at 7+1/2 degrees of advance when static.

cool thanks was wondering if i had the wrong distributor/carb combo but it seems im fine! Does the single vacuum advance unit look any different than a non single vaccum one?
tasb

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Night and Day difference.

Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Bad picture but the only one i currently have while at work but here is the distributor/vacuum canister. Would that be a vacuum advance only? Not sure if it can be switched to an centrifugal advance/SVDA or something because i read on wolfsburg west some of these distributors can be vacuum only while others can have dual acting/retard devices
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Night and Day difference.

you are the best! was actually getting a headache from this haha thanks so much!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: