Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor/Distributor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

That is a vacuum advance only distributor. Note the short body- no room for mechanical weights in there.

DO NOT use the Wolfsburg West informational page on distributors it is VERY inaccurate.

If that is a 30 PICT series carburetor there isn't an SVDA with a suitable vacuum signal.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

I've got some high rev 009 points if anybody needs them, and 010-019 stuff too.
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:

If that is a 30 PICT series carburetor there isn't an SVDA with a suitable vacuum signal.

some 30 pict-3 (later euro version for 1200) are suitable to be used with vacuum/centrifugal distributor. i sometimes modify them to adapt to later distributor, often also the 30pict-2, but on this there are many times problems on idle and are the most difficult to adapt.

About the 4R5 distributor, have you noticed that some of them are more "hard" on the spring and require more vacuum to get full advance? i've seen also different 28 pict with different suck capabilities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Working on find a good distributor for my setup as well, so thought I'd jump in on this thread. Engine is 1776DP, kads (tapped for vacuum) with 30 venturis, Engle 100, DRD L3 heads (mild port work), and stock gearing big nut trans.

Currently have a flamethrower SVDA and vacuum going to one carb, which seems to run better than going to both. But it feels like the advance curve is off in the early rpm's. Suggestions? Thinking either an 019 or 010, but from what I've been reading, it seems an 019 might be best with my setup?
'69 Bug
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is it possible that I have a 205T housing with 205M internals? Ordered a pertronix for a 205 T and didn't fit right then learned from someone here that it looks like a 205M distributor on the inside which it does
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
The 113 905 205 T is a single vacuum advance only distributor. It can be run with any 30 PICT series carburetor. The vacuum canister delivers 30 degrees of advance so it is static set at O degrees advanced or TDC.

Yes, the 131 905 205 will work too. It was a bus only distributor and is not very common. The 113 905 205 K is the exact same distributor and was run on both Beetle and Bus. it's much more common. The 131 and the 113 K vacuum canisters deliver 25 degrees of advance and are set at 7+1/2 degrees of advance when static.

I am adding electric ignition to my 113905205T distributor. When i time it after putting it on do I still want it at 0 degrees? In other words once it's on, I'll put the strobe light to it and want my mark to be at TDC even with the electric ignition now on it correct?
tasb

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Yes, see here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606129&highlight=

Adding a points replacement module does not change how you would time a SVA distributor.

O TDC is a static timing mark ignition on engine standing still. You verify full advance with the timing light.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Bosch 019 mechanical works well on a 1600SP with a 30PICT-1.
what about a 1600 dp and 30Pict-1?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I've been running a nicely rebuilt German Solex 30 pict 1 with 009 distributor on my 1600 DP and have no complaints. I do have an 019 I will probably try on that engine in the future.
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
JohnnyRingo wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I've been running a nicely rebuilt German Solex 30 pict 1 with 009 distributor on my 1600 DP and have no complaints. I do have an 019 I will probably try on that engine in the future.
Yeah that's my setup now......I recently purchased a used 1600 or 1641dp not sure?......it had a new empi carb that crapped out on me..... so I had a used 30
Pict-1 so I thought I would try it and just happened to have the spacer adapter for dp intake.... purred like a kitten...
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Up near the top of this page... (well, every page)... there's a tab section called "Technical"

Click it (don't just pick one of the things that "drop down")... click on "Technical."

Then, scroll down to the very bottom of the page... there's a section called "Miscellaneous"

The fourth thing from the bottom of "Miscellaneous" is titled: "Bosch Tune-Up Parts Chart"

Click it... open the .pdf Here's a link if you're feeling too lazy to navigate.

Also use with this page:
http://members.trainorders.com/android/temp/CarbBaseFlangeNumbersA.doc

I believe the carb base flange number (modification state) you will be looking for is on the left side of the float bowl... on the rear facing 45 degree beveled part of the bowl (the corner). Earlier are on the back of the bowl... some are on the actual base flange of the carb.

Hi

I'm considering fitting an SVDA distributor as I think I have the symptoms of the 'flat spot'.

I'm struggling to understand the tables above to identify which distributor I need to look for (or even how specific I need to be).

Current setup:- 1600DP engine Solex 34-pict-3 carb version W527, Bosch 009 distributor 0 231 178 009, stock H-code big-nut transmission (rebuilt a couple of months ago)

Carb Jetting (info supplied by the carb builder on handwritten note):- Main 130, Pilot 955 (or 95s?), 'AC' 805 (or 80s?), Aux 47.5. The carb is a refurbished unit, rebuilt in 2015.

The carb has a short length of flexible tubing sticking from the front that has been plugged. I guess this is to allow for a vacuum connection? (My previous carb didn't have that tube and the location on the carb body looked to be blanked off.)

Symptom:-Slow to pick up from idle, then sudden rush of power. On pot-holed roads that leads to kangarooing until I let off the throttle, then I can accellerate again. The kangarooing only occurs on pot-holed roads and I think that's because I can't keep the throttle pedal steady due to the sudden pick-up after the 'dead spot', combined with being bounced around by the pot-holes. Don't think it's an engine issue because the kangarooing doesn't happen on smooth roads (I just have that dead spot).

Q1 - will an SVDA help with the dead spot and subsequent sudden pick-up?
Q2 - if so, which SVDA do I need for that carb setup. From the links above, it looks like the carb has been jetted differently to the stock setup for a W527
Q3 - will i need to re-jet the carb to match the distributor, and if so, what jetting should I use
Q4 - if I use an aftermarket SVDA distributor, with built-in electronic points, is matching the distributor to the carb as much of an issue? The vendors don't advertise multiple distributors for different carb versions?
Q5 (not relating to distributors and carbs) would an aftermarket throttle kit help with throttle control on bumpy roads to reduce the kangarooing? My pedal currently has a broken return spring, so all the return force must be coming from the carb throttle return spring.

Thanks

Andy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
easy e wrote:
Up near the top of this page... (well, every page)... there's a tab section called "Technical"

Click it (don't just pick one of the things that "drop down")... click on "Technical."

Then, scroll down to the very bottom of the page... there's a section called "Miscellaneous"

The fourth thing from the bottom of "Miscellaneous" is titled: "Bosch Tune-Up Parts Chart"

Click it... open the .pdf Here's a link if you're feeling too lazy to navigate.

Also use with this page:
http://members.trainorders.com/android/temp/CarbBaseFlangeNumbersA.doc

I believe the carb base flange number (modification state) you will be looking for is on the left side of the float bowl... on the rear facing 45 degree beveled part of the bowl (the corner). Earlier are on the back of the bowl... some are on the actual base flange of the carb.

Hi

I'm considering fitting an SVDA distributor as I think I have the symptoms of the 'flat spot'.

I'm struggling to understand the tables above to identify which distributor I need to look for (or even how specific I need to be).

Current setup:- 1600DP engine Solex 34-pict-3 carb version W527, Bosch 009 distributor 0 231 178 009, stock H-code big-nut transmission (rebuilt a couple of months ago)

Carb Jetting (info supplied by the carb builder on handwritten note):- Main 130, Pilot 955 (or 95s?), 'AC' 805 (or 80s?), Aux 47.5. The carb is a refurbished unit, rebuilt in 2015.

The carb has a short length of flexible tubing sticking from the front that has been plugged. I guess this is to allow for a vacuum connection? (My previous carb didn't have that tube and the location on the carb body looked to be blanked off.)

Symptom:-Slow to pick up from idle, then sudden rush of power. On pot-holed roads that leads to kangarooing until I let off the throttle, then I can accellerate again. The kangarooing only occurs on pot-holed roads and I think that's because I can't keep the throttle pedal steady due to the sudden pick-up after the 'dead spot', combined with being bounced around by the pot-holes. Don't think it's an engine issue because the kangarooing doesn't happen on smooth roads (I just have that dead spot).

Q1 - will an SVDA help with the dead spot and subsequent sudden pick-up? Yes
Q2 - if so, which SVDA do I need for that carb setup. From the links above, it looks like the carb has been jetted differently to the stock setup for a W527 Looks like an 043 L SVDA
Q3 - will i need to re-jet the carb to match the distributor, and if so, what jetting should I use Maybe, the carb was stock for a 1976 Bus
Q4 - if I use an aftermarket SVDA distributor, with built-in electronic points, is matching the distributor to the carb as much of an issue? The vendors don't advertise multiple distributors for different carb versions? It won't be 100% correct but can work The vendors sell a one size fits all 043 205 (034) (false advertising) Chinese made clone
Q5 (not relating to distributors and carbs) would an aftermarket throttle kit help with throttle control on bumpy roads to reduce the kangarooing? My pedal currently has a broken return spring, so all the return force must be coming from the carb throttle return spring.

Thanks

Andy

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

Q1 - will an SVDA help with the dead spot and subsequent sudden pick-up? Yes
Q2 - if so, which SVDA do I need for that carb setup. From the links above, it looks like the carb has been jetted differently to the stock setup for a W527 Looks like an 043 L SVDA
Q3 - will i need to re-jet the carb to match the distributor, and if so, what jetting should I use Maybe, the carb was stock for a 1976 Bus
Q4 - if I use an aftermarket SVDA distributor, with built-in electronic points, is matching the distributor to the carb as much of an issue? The vendors don't advertise multiple distributors for different carb versions? It won't be 100% correct but can work The vendors sell a one size fits all 043 205 (034) (false advertising) Chinese made clone

Thanks for the advice

I'll keep a lookout for an 043L over here.

Andy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

The 043 L is a non USA Bus distributor. It's pretty rare here in the states but I happen to have one and it even has the correct 535 working vacuum canister. You can PM me if interested.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Finally got time to fit the 043 905 205L SVDA distributor today, with an electronic ignition module. I'm having trouble timing it though.

If I set the timing at 30ºBTDC @ 3500 rpm, then I get backfiring at idle and the idle drops until it dies. If I play with the timing, it idles OK without backfiring at 20ºBTDC at lidle, but that puts the timing at >50º @ 3500rpm.

I've put the old 009 distributor back on so I can run the truck, but does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I

A quick look at VW resource explained that backfiring at idle can be due to lean mixture. described the carb jetting in my earlier post (Solex 34 pict 3) and it's different to the reference table jetting.

Would that become a problem switching from a 009 to 043L distributor though? Running on the 009, the spark plugs were clean and no obvious damage to the electrodes that I'd expect if it was running lean before.

I'm confused.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
... I get backfiring at idle and the idle drops until it dies.

Is it a dual port?
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

Is it a dual port?

Yes.

Edit - the backfire is an exhaust backfire, not a carb backfire (so maybe not running too lean?)

Putting the 009 back on, it ran fine.

I have not touched the carb at all in this process.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

Is it a dual port?

Yes.

Just to make sure check your boots and clamps.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Finally got time to fit the 043 905 205L SVDA distributor today, with an electronic ignition module. I'm having trouble timing it though.

If I set the timing at 30ºBTDC @ 3500 rpm, .

Is that with vacuum connected or not? it should be 30º on the centrifugal only, around 7-8º static will be close enough to be able to idle unless there's something else wrong
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor/Distributor Reply with quote

Ditch the vacuum distributor. Go with a 019 or 010 and be done with it. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: