Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2012 Airhead Parts/KGPR Treffen #14 week - Jul 29 thru Aug 5
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: 2012 Airhead Parts/KGPR Treffen #14 week - Jul 29 thru Aug 5 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://airheadparts.com/treffen14/

Meet up July 29th in Portland, Oregon at the Always VDub Rose City Bug-in, then spend the week on Highway 1!

We have hotel rooms and campground spots reserved along the way, but they will go fast! Whether you stay with us, or somewhere nearby, book early! Rooms on the coast fill up quickly during summer. Check the itinerary for more info.

We leave Portland on Sunday 7/29, and arrive in Ventrura the following Saturday 8/4, in time for Open House. Featuring a free BBQ, nickel tours, parts raffle, our annual Clearance Sale, and the Grand Opening of our brand new Walk-In store, there'll be something for everyone to enjoy. Bring the whole family! The party moves down the block after 5pm...

Sunday 8/5 is the 14th annual Airhead Parts & KGPR Treffen VW Show,
held on the grass at Channel Islands Harbor, in Oxnard, CA. Enjoy the cool ocean breeze, one hour north of Los Angeles. Gates open at 7:00am. Show car registration ends at 10:00.

Admission to the show is only 2 canned food items per person, and includes car registration and free used parts swap space.
Canned goods will be donated to the Food Share charity. Multiple trophies awarded in over 20 classes!

Come for the week, come for a day, or meet us for dinner along the way!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73Miles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre, Are you going to post address's and phone numbers for the Motels? I will probably be coming from Colorado. Miles...73Ghia
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Miles!

Yes, everything but the Portland hotel location is listed on the map link at the top right of the Treffen page (we're going to stay in Portland this year, instead of heading down to Corvallis after the show).

As soon as everything is final and confirmed, I'll make an easy to read, printable version, available from the "Itinerary" link just below that (campground info too).

Here you are last year-- or the year before... or is it from the year before that? Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to another fun Treffen Cruise from Portland to Ventura/Oxnard, already got my time off from work for this!
Just gotta book my rooms.
V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73Miles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys notice we added a day to the cruise this year? We moved our annual Channel Islands Harbor show to Sunday instead of Saturday... makes for more leisurely cruise days.

We finalized the Portland hotel, and changed the Sevastopol evening to Daly City/South San Francisco yesterday. The new info should be up this afternoon.

With that change, we've got plenty of time to hang out in Big Sur this year-- we get in at lunch time, and leave after lunch the next day.

Spend the time exploring-- there's galleries, good food, fantastic hikes, and beautiful beaches to check out. Live music Thursday night. It'll be a welcome break during the 1000 mile journey!

A printable itinerary is next on the list...

Check it out, Jim-- you and Miles parked together last year, with the Golden Gate in the background.

Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And from a few years back...

73Miles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim's car, when it still had a dent in the nose and the engine cover
HAPPY-VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

I want to go again this year! Last year was awesome.
I'll start booking as soon as everything is finalized.
Looking forward to seeing everybody.

Dave Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73Miles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Are you going to drive the whole way with the Safari windows open again? Miles
HAPPY-VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll get a chance. Crying or Very sad I'm bringing a friend, his son and my son. That's the plan for now anyway. Although I did just buy a '74 Thing and might bring both cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HAPPY-VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some pics of the new Hoopty here. Smile

http://sdrv.ms/Ljwyf6
73Miles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Nice looking thing. What are your plans for it? I can see you driving it with the top down and the windshield down. Lowered just a tad and it will make a nice cruiser.......Miles
HAPPY-VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, The wife (and everyone else) seems to love the Avocado green so it will stay stock color. Definitely will upgrade motor but not sure to what yet. I am considering keeping it more stock and beefy than highway cruiser. It’s kinda fun being undecided yet. I went in halves on it with a friend to get him into teh scene but he really wants something non VW so I will buy him out sometime soon.
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Dave-- glad you're gonna make it! I linked to your videos on the Treffen page, because they were WAY better than anything I took. Nice job.

It took a little longer to shake out than I'd hoped, with The Classic, and planing our new walk-in store, and about 100 other things, but I think it's all finalized. It won't be up on the web for another day or two, but here's the info for the first night...

Sunday 7/29 - Rose City Bug In Portland International Raceway

One of the biggest VW shows in the Pacific N.W., featuring a car show, drag racing & swap meet, all in one event! Gates
open at 8:30am.

The Treffen 14 West Coast Cruise leaves the show at 3:00pm. Come by our booth during the day for details.

We spend Sunday night in Portland, hanging out at the Jupiter Hotel. Check in there, or across the street, before meeting up for
dinner at 6:00pm

Hotel:
Jupiter Hotel
800 East Burnside, Portland, OR 97214
(503) 230-9200
(877) 800-0004
www.jupiterhotel.com
rooms start at $105.00 (reservations under "Treffen")

Alternate:
Eastside Lodge (across the street)
949 East Burnside, Portland, OR 97214
(503) 234-8411
www.eastsidelodge.com
rooms start at $75.00 (reservations under "Treffen")

Dinner:
6:00pm
Boogies Burgers and Brew
910 East Burnside
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 901-9910
Live music to follow at the Jupiter Hotel
http://www.dougfirlounge.com

Campground:
Albany/Corvallis KOA (83 miles south of Portland)
33775 Oakville Road South
Albany, OR 97321
800-562-8526
(We’ll meet up with the campers at 10am at the Corvallis Shell Station gas stop)

Last edited by Andre@KGPR/Airhead on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and here's the second day (the first couple of days are long hauls, but they shorten up considerably after that).

Monday 7/30 - Portland, OR to Port Orford, OR (275 miles)

7:15am - Morning drivers meeting in Jupiter Hotel courtyard. We'll all get together for coffee & Voodoo Doughnuts before heading to
the Oregon coast. www.voodoodoughnut.com

8:00am - We're on the road!

(head 82 miles)

10:00am - Rest Stop at Shell Gas Station in Corvallis, OR. (300 SW 4th St.) This is the meeting spot for the Sunday night campers to re-join the folks headed down from the Portland hotels.

(head 88 miles)

12:00pm - Lunch until 1:00pm at Restobar in Florence, OR. (1285 Bay Street) www.1285restobar.com

(head 57 miles)

2:30pm
- Scenic rest stop and photo op at Shore Acres (89526 Cape Arago Highway, Coos Bay, OR 97420) Out at 3:30pm.

(head 54 miles)

5:00pm
- Check-in time

Hotel:
Sea Crest Motel
44 Hwy 101 South
Port Orford, Oregon 97465
(888) 332-3040
www.seacrestoregon.com
rooms start at $70.00 (reservations under "Treffen")

6:00pm - Dinner:
The Crazy Norwegians Fish and Chips (number 2 in Sunset magazines 'best fish and Chip spots by the Sea')
259 6th Street, Port Orford, OR 97465
(541) 332-8601

Campground:

KOA Port Orford (15 min from hotel)
46612 US 101
Languise, OR 97450
(541) 348-2358

Last edited by Andre@KGPR/Airhead on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3:

Tuesday 7/31 - Port Orford, OR to Eureka, CA (166 miles)

8:00am - Breakfast and drivers meeting at Paradise Café (1825 Oregon Street, Port Orford, OR 97465)

9:00am - On the road.

(head 84 miles)

11:00am - Scenic Redwood drive led by Dave Cormack. (Meet up at the corner of 1 North Bank Road and Hwy 101)

12:30am - Lunch at Good Harvest Cafe in Crescent City, CA (575 US Hwy 101 S. 95531)

1:45pm - Gas stop before leaving Crescent City.

(head 71 miles)

3:30pm
- BBQ dinner in the park hosted by the Humbugs Volkswagen Club at Hiller Park (675 Hiller Road, McKinleyville, CA 95519). We'll bring the meat, they'll take care of the heat!

(head 14 miles)

6:00pm - Check-in time

Hotel:
Roadway Inn
2014 4th St.
Eureka, CA, 95501
(707) 444-0401
http://www.rodewayinn.com/hotel-eureka-california-CA381
rooms start at $64.00 (reservations under "Treffen")

Campground:
KOA Eureka (5 minutes from hotel)
4050 North Highway 101
Eureka, CA 95503
(800) 562-3136
(707) 822-4243
[email protected]

7:00pm - Meet up for a few craft beers, walking distance from our hotel.
Lost Coast Brewery
617 4th St.
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 445-4480
www.lostcoast.com

Last edited by Andre@KGPR/Airhead on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:46 am; edited 4 times in total
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long hauls? Laughing
Last time I went down I made Vancouver BC to Yreka CA in one day (600+ miles) with a stock 1500...
Looking forward to a leisurely pace this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya-- when we did the cross country cruise in 2005 (Santa Monica, CA to Yipsilanti, Michigan on Route 66 for the Michigan Vintage club show, then on to the Manasasas Bug Out in Virginia, then back west along Interstate 10 to The Classic), we had several days that were anything but, "leisurely", lol.

This time, we even added an extra day to the Hwy 1 route, giving us time to hang out in Portland, San Francisco, and Big Sur. Three of my favorite places in the country. I'm pretty excited!
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And seriously-- I'm 99% sure Dave did the entire 1000 miles with his safari windows open.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: