Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2012 Airhead Parts/KGPR Treffen #14 week - Jul 29 thru Aug 5
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are bringing Velvet on the cruise from Eureka to San Luis Obispo. Very Happy

We live in Auburn, CA, and are driving up to Eureka to meet up with you guys on Tuesday. What do you all think is the best route to get there? My bug would have been cool on windy mountain roads, the bus--not so much. Sad

We have a choice of Redding through Weaverville.
Or Hwy 36 from Red Bluff.
Or Clear Lake to 101 north (that would be redundant the next day).

Input?

TIA!
Dawn

Hugo - '63 ragtop Cal Look bug - Hugo and Dawn - together since 1978
Engine build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482095

Trans build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7602210
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Treffen Reply with quote

Thomnic wrote:
Just checked map to find out best way to get to Corvallis from Albany and was wondering what is the route the group will be taken. Will you drive down I5 to hwy 34 or exit in Albany and go 20 or 99? Tom

We're doing I-5, exit US 20 ramp to City Center/Corvalis. Then 34 to the coast!

You can call us with any questions-- 805-212-6037
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn, having driven all the routes you are asking for, I would take the 20 from Williams, off the I-5, through Clear lake, to the 101.
I HATE the 299, and if yoiu get stuck behind a logging truck spraying bark and dirt, you could end up following him for 35 or 40 miles, on the 299.
From where I live (Crescent City, 20 miles south of the OR border, right on the coast/101) it is actually quicker for me, to get to Sacramento, to go UP the 199 to Grant's Pass, and take the 5 south, that to mess around with the 299.
Looking forward to seeing all the Treffeneers (and Treffeneerettes) tomorrow, look for a lowered Polar Silver Oval Ragtop on North Bank Road, I may just go up the the usual photo op spot in Smith River (the Ship Ashore Resort) and follow you guys and gals down from there.....
Dawn, you could just blaze up the 5 to Grant's Pass, and then take the 199 towards the coast.... you'll be going through the Smith River Canyon, and right after you get through a blink twice and you'll miss it town called Hiouchi, you'll see a turn off for North Bank Road... we'll be going that way, right back the way you just came for a few miles, and be turning right onto ...

SHOOT I don't know the name of the Road, I just drive there and never pay attention !!!!
You could just park at the Hiouchi Hamlet, and I'm sure you'd see us go by, hope this info isn't too late....

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Scooterboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn, Clear Lake to 101 north is the best. The Redwoods! The other 2 routes will take you all day. Get a picture of you guys going through the tree!
59 - Convertible Raceable Baja Bug
63 - Dune Buggy
65 - Single Cab
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Okay, Grants Pass and 199 is mapquested at 9.5 hours, but 20 to 101 is only 6.5 hours. Add to those "bus time", Velvet is a ratty old girl and she broke down on us twice on the OCTO trip. Bless her heart, she does her best, and ironically the breakdowns were both related to improper NEW parts or service, rather than anything 46 years old on the bus. That doesn't stop me from driving the heck out of the bus and enjoying *using* it. Very Happy The motor is a 29 year old motor that Ray Vallero built me in 1983 and it's never been rebuilt and has been a DD. Still reliable, I hope I'm not jinxing it!

We're heading north tomorrow morning up through Clear Lake and hope to make McKinleyville's BBQ.

I'm so excited to finally do Treffen, we'll see you all tomorrow. Dancing

Hugo - '63 ragtop Cal Look bug - Hugo and Dawn - together since 1978
Engine build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482095

Trans build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7602210
DropgateLefty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn and I will be meeting you folks near Eureka, at the BBQ!!!

Unfortunately, the old Scab won't be joining us, but I do get to ride in a 21 window samba and wave out the sunroof like the freaking Queen of England.
Next year maybe old Betty will get her turn running down the PCH. Smile
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, everyone-- if you'd like to track our progress, we've got a SPOT GPS device that uploads our position to a google map every 10 minutes or so--

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0Eqo6r9nooHFst6gIQIyQQivQDaOx8Emf

We've got a bunch of familiar faces with us, and lots of new ones too.

So far, I know we've got cars from Washington, Oregon, Texas, British Colombia, and California. We've got babies, we've got teens, we've got dogs-- it's a great group!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(5 minute stop for an Oregon road work crew...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke with Andre last evening, via telephone, and the NEW meeting spot for the cruise through the redwoods, is the same ol' photo op spot as the last few years, the Ship Ashore resort, in Smith River, right off the 101.
"Pelican Paul" Gelinas, and I, will meet everyone there, and take you down North Bank Road, north on Hiway 199 for a few miles, across the covered bridge, through Stout Grove, and on into the Good Harvest Cafe for lunch...warning...if you have a car that you don't want getting dusty, let me know at the Ship Ashore, and I'll find a paved road for you to take. Howland Hill is dirt, but well maintained, and narrow, some places it is only a car width wide. It's beautiful, nd the reason it is so narrow in places is that it is an old logging road, and they didn't want to cut old growth redwood tress down...plenty of photo ops in there...

Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gigantic thanks go out to Dave & Paul-- they led us up a back road in Crescent City we would have never discovered on our own, and we saw some of the most amazing scenery of the trip. These two hook us up every year, and we do certainly appreciate it.

That's Dave's killer Oval & Paul's super clean T3! I caught a ride in the Squareback last year-- I sure do have a soft spot for Squarebacks... Very Happy
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre@KGPR/Airhead wrote:
Gigantic thanks go out to Dave & Paul-- they led us up a back road in Crescent City we would have never discovered on our own, and we saw some of the most amazing scenery of the trip. These two hook us up every year, and we do certainly appreciate it.

That's Dave's killer Oval & Paul's super clean T3! I caught a ride in the Squareback last year-- I sure do have a soft spot for Squarebacks... Very Happy

My pleasure, Andre. It's always a good time when Scott and Andre and crew roll into town...

40horsesand6volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: My Sincerest Apologies Reply with quote

Hey there Treffen 14 Cruisers,

Please accept my apologies for leading the group the long way down the West Marin coast this afternoon. I thought that was the route the group wanted to take.

When the leader in the white and black KGPR Ghia passed the Hwy. One turn off toward Tomales after Valley Ford, I thought she had made a mistake. When she pulled over a mile or so later, I told her I was a local and that I knew another way back to Hwy One, and she asked me to lead on. I wasn't aware that most of you just wanted to get to San Francisco by the shortest route possible. I had just joined up with the group in Bodega Bay for the afternoon cruise to the Golden Gate Bridge, and assumed you all would be following the coastal route down Hwy. One that was posted earlier on the Treffen site.

I was happily enjoying the smooth roads and beautiful scenery of vintage WW's in my rear view, when 40 minutes later I was signaled to pull over near Stinson Beach. KGPR-Ghia-Woman (sorry, I didn't catch her name) asked me how much longer it was to SF. I felt awful when I realized my mistake. I then felt worse when one of the other drivers (who was obviously tired and very upset about the prospect of loosing his hotel room) came up to my car and expressed his great displeasure, in no uncertain terms, using language that I will not repeat here. Suffice it to say I felt terrible for leading you all astray.

For added measure, my Ghia refused to start up when everyone was ready to roll again. (The car is older than I am and that happens sometimes) Lucky for me the road shoulder was on a slight down grade and I was able to compression start it after the traffic cleared.

I hope you all made it to SF in time to get your rooms, and a good dinner. I would never have taken that route if I had known the wishes of the group. I promise not to volunteer to lead again. I hope you all have a safe journey and fun times on the road ahead these next few days.

Best regards,
-Jim
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like whoever had the SPOT took the 101 route from Bodega Bay.
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: My Sincerest Apologies Reply with quote

40horsesand6volts wrote:
Hey there Treffen 14 Cruisers,

Please accept my apologies for leading the group the long way down the West Marin coast this afternoon. I thought that was the route the group wanted to take.

When the leader in the white and black KGPR Ghia passed the Hwy. One turn off toward Tomales after Valley Ford, I thought she had made a mistake. When she pulled over a mile or so later, I told her I was a local and that I knew another way back to Hwy One, and she asked me to lead on. I wasn't aware that most of you just wanted to get to San Francisco by the shortest route possible. I had just joined up with the group in Bodega Bay for the afternoon cruise to the Golden Gate Bridge, and assumed you all would be following the coastal route down Hwy. One that was posted earlier on the Treffen site.

I was happily enjoying the smooth roads and beautiful scenery of vintage WW's in my rear view, when 40 minutes later I was signaled to pull over near Stinson Beach. KGPR-Ghia-Woman (sorry, I didn't catch her name) asked me how much longer it was to SF. I felt awful when I realized my mistake. I then felt worse when one of the other drivers (who was obviously tired and very upset about the prospect of loosing his hotel room) came up to my car and expressed his great displeasure, in no uncertain terms, using language that I will not repeat here. Suffice it to say I felt terrible for leading you all astray.

For added measure, my Ghia refused to start up when everyone was ready to roll again. (The car is older than I am and that happens sometimes) Lucky for me the road shoulder was on a slight down grade and I was able to compression start it after the traffic cleared.

I hope you all made it to SF in time to get your rooms, and a good dinner. I would never have taken that route if I had known the wishes of the group. I promise not to volunteer to lead again. I hope you all have a safe journey and fun times on the road ahead these next few days.

Best regards,
-Jim

I just arrived into Bodega Bay about 3-minutes after you left with the group. I was picking up the rear for stragglers.
As I arrived to the 76 Gas Station in Bodega Bay, the others that were still at the gas station said "you just missed them, they took off about 3-minutes ago."

So after stretching my legs out, I took off hoping to catch up to the group only to find out I'm the only sole until I got to Golden Gate Bridge and waited with the others at the Conzelman exit for about 45-minutes till they finally arrived.

If I would've arrived to the group in Bodega Bay, I would've led them straight to the GGB as I'm also local in the Bay Area.

In other words, I just posted up a video of the drive-by on Highway 101 in Humboldt County from Tuesday (posted in the "Video" thread):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6186293#6186293
V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also to add, I have uploaded the pictures from Monday to current on the Photobucket that Andre set up for the Treffen Cruisers to post their pics:
http://s1053.photobucket.com/albums/s478/treffen14/

Here's some pics I took along the way:

B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MIDTOWN GHia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Treffen 14. Photos from todays visit at Mark's Merrill's Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm the local guy with the red 1970 KG vert. that met up with you today. We just purchased this car a short 3 months ago and our favorite shop is KGPR. It was great to meet up with everyone today at Mark's place in Mountian View.

It was great to meet you Scott thanks for allowing me join the group today.

Mark thank you for sharing your collection!

Here is a link to the 100+ photos I took today. There are photos of Mark's collection and of the cars on the Treffen run. Copy what you want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84103720@N03/

regards,
Gary H.
Thomnic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Treffen Reply with quote

Viewed Jim's pictures on the photo tub link. Jim you have some great shots there. We broke lose from the group today after SF and are doing our own thing around Monterey and Big Sur. Depending on how things go we may see you again in San Luis Obispo. We stopped and help Brain (black beetle 58 or so) who smoked his clutch on the run after lunch. Towed him in Bodega Bay. Did not catch up with anyone until CGB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I caught the cruise in between Big Sur and GoWesty, and I brought a few cameras along for the ride. This was such an eye-opening event to see so many kind and wonderful people. I guessed I would probably enjoy myself, but nothing could have prepared me for the kindness and friendliness of everyone on the cruise. Thank you especially to Scott, Andre, and the rest of the AirHead/KGPR crew for all their hard work behind the scenes!

I hope we get more and more pictures and video as more people return home safely Smile

Link

Last edited by airschooled on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video is excellent. Wilson sure hams it up too. What a natural showman.
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is truly an awesome video.
And I agree with pantone149 about "Wilson" (the jade green rock) on the green Thing, just love that waving arms...LOL!!!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I also uploaded all of my pictures to the photobucket album that Andre set up here:

http://s1053.photobucket.com/albums/s478/treffen14/

If you see your car, or any picture you want of mine, full size for printing, wallpaper, or anything, just email me and I'll send it to you. (my user name)@mac.com

Can't wait for next year!
-Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: