Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Appeal to split the Vanagon/Eurovan Forum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should there be separate Vanagon and Eurovan Forums?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 54 ]
No
34%
 34%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 82

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuffshed wrote:
blankmange wrote:

remove the water-pumpers!

Samba should be for all those with VW in their blood.

It is for PEOPLE with VW in their blood, but there are LOTS of cars with the VW crest on them, that well, honestly, sort of are not so VW, I think.

I looked on the site for the definition of the target vehicles to be discussed but have not found it. Maybe someone can.

With all the broad breath of things going on, it is very tough to organize. There are several different coach built versions of various models. Many camper builds and models. Many engine conversions. Now the Porsches are finding a fresh home. Plus various water cooled. This later group "seems" not to have much in depth traffic. There is better discourse of water cooled elsewhere, I think.

Maybe a water cooled section with directions to broader resources can be added.

I am finding this a challenging question, just like the site admins are. There is so much discussion on a HUGE array of topics. From deep down nuts and bolts restoration to wild modifications over to daily drivers, that it is a huge task to organize.

Adding a new section is taken quite seriously.

Nobody said it would be easy.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now now, don't overthink it, complicate it. Its about Eurovans and Vanagons, nothing more nothing less. I'm wondering if all EV's are wanting to separate entirely, or it's a faction. Something like Quebec and Canada Laughing There is no solution because a solution just doesn't exist. I'd miss the exposure to the EV community but if the number of EV's wants this, that should help the decision. So why not another poll with specific parameters for all Eurovan discussions and business leaving the Vanagon/Eurovan Forum(to be voted on by ONLY EVers).

I'll bet you that many EV's don't want to leave the relationship. If that be the case then a solution should be offered so more clearly understood. One suggestion would be Title Posts should start " EV wants .......", "EV question/solution on ...", etc..... .If the phase EV leads each topic, it may be easier for those who want separation to see if the real time numbers exist. Just an idea, a suggestion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion, DAIZEE.
I think the only issue would be making sure everyone knows to use that search term...

I guess there could maybe be a sticky explaining EuroVan abbreviations and with links to top quality EV threads? But we have a hell of a lot of stickies on the Vanagon page already...

Last edited by berkeleyjack on Tue May 29, 2012 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkeleyjack wrote:
Good suggestion, DAIZEE.
I think the only issue would be making sure everyone knows to use that search term...

I guess there could maybe be a sticky explaining EuroVan abbreviations and with links to top quality EV threads? But we have a hell of a lot of stickies on the Vanagon page already...

If there needs to be a Eurovan-specific sticky and you are aware of various threads, send me the list and I will make one.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
r39o wrote:
Maybe they should not be here at all?

Agreed...

x2.

Or just move EV's over to "water cooled vw"
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the people with EV's even posting on this thread/poll?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Are the people with EV's even posting on this thread/poll?

hence the lack of need to split them off from the Vanagon forum?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator note:
I removed some off-topic posts and insults.

Let's stay on this topic please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the EV folks are not getting in the way at all in our mixed forum. There is not enough EV traffic. When the EV traffic starts to get in the way of Vanagon posts then it's time to think about a split.
For those of you that want a split go to the first 2 pages and count how many are EV posts. I just checked and there is ONE.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=514229

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing such a fine job Everette. Is this conversation really doing any good? Is there really a decision needed to be made? I too don't mind sharing and I always honk and wave at EV's. There is certainly full acceptance and comraderieship (?sp) at the meets & gatherings I've gone to. Other than they have a funny front end, they fit right in Laughing
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there probably aren't more EV threads because every time someone posts one it falls off the front pages immediately and gets close to zero replies.
EV owners aren't likely to stick around when their threads get ignored and get pushed off the page by other stuff.

I still think EV owners would be better served by being moved over to the other/water cooled section. Since there's less activity there they wouldn't have their threads get bumped off the front page so fast.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That idea has potential BUT are there other pop top vans in that forum? And remember that there are some non pop top Vanagons also and Transporters I think too.??
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any sort of conspiracy against EV owners on behalf of Vanagon owners, or any other members of the VW community. Off the fifty or so people I have met over the years that own Eurovan's only two of them have actually done any of their own work.

With this in mind, there is a much smaller pool of owner / mechanics to draw knowledge from, so questions are less likely to get answered because of a simple numbers game.

The EV is a great people mover (and the extended wheelbase EVC is a good small camper), but they will never offer the utility of the rear engine Type 2's that came before them. It is in simple terms, the EV is a "mini van", and mini van's will most likely never generate the same rabid fanbase that their predecessors have found.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the amount of traffic euros get....it just doesn't seem to make sense to dedicate a forum just to eurovans...

I think the best idea so far is to include the eurovan in the 'water-cooled' section
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:
Considering the amount of traffic euros get....it just doesn't seem to make sense to dedicate a forum just to eurovans...

I think the best idea so far is to include the eurovan in the 'water-cooled' section

This seems like a reasonable solution to me also.

If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fine with making that change - Eurovans should be discussed in Water-cooled, which is really low traffic anyway.

Will it be confusing to have them still in the classifieds Vanagon/Eurovan section.
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say leave it alone, the trend should be towards simplicity.

I read the other water cooled for the info on the mk1-4 info and diesel stuff, the Eurovan really doesn't fit nearly as well as it does with vanagons.

Fewer sections overall which is why I also think all vanagons/EVthreads should just be in the vanagon/EV forum. Seems like I am not the only one by any means but being reasonable doesn't seem to fly with the moderators I have had interactions with.

Note to moderators: If your personality trends towards name calling, writing in ALLCAPS etc.., you should not be a moderator in any forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
I say leave it alone, the trend should be towards simplicity.

I read the other water cooled for the info on the mk1-4 info and diesel stuff, the Eurovan really doesn't fit nearly as well as it does with vanagons.

Fewer sections overall which is why I also think all vanagons/EVthreads should just be in the vanagon/EV forum. Seems like I am not the only one by any means but being reasonable doesn't seem to fly with the moderators I have had interactions with.

Thank you for the input.

Overall, I still think the best thing to is to make sure any Eurovan thread in Vanagon/Eurovan includes the word Eurovan. Smile
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's reasonable, could also consider EV as identity.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: