Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Appeal to split the Vanagon/Eurovan Forum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should there be separate Vanagon and Eurovan Forums?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 54 ]
No
34%
 34%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 82

Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
That's reasonable, could also consider EV as identity.

Two letter words aren't included in the search, so Eurovan would work better.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, good to know, thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Including "eurovan" in the title would be a great solution. But the only way it work is for the mods to update the titles because most would never do it.
At least including the eurovan in the water cooled forum would make it easier too find the info needed without having to wade thru 500 threads about vanagons to find one that applies to a euro.
I've tried searching the forums for eurovan specific stuff and finding little that applies
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is most likely true but it's an overall issue everywhere.
There are TONS of threads on here with bad titles.
I update them every time I log in.

So in general, try to use a good title for whatever thread you are starting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Low67vdubinnocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an opinion but I bet a lot more people go to the vanagon/ev section than go to the water cooled section. If you need help right away with say a charging problem you might get it faster in the vanagon/ev section than in the water cooled section.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
So in general, try to use a good title for whatever thread you are starting.

Can a prompt page be made so that "Vanagon" or "Eurovan" starts the subject title?

Folks make up some really lame subject titles. "Why" and "Stop It" are classics.
When starting a new thread put the keywords in to make it easy to find in s search. We are all here to help each other.

Oh yeah leave the Vanagon/Ev the way it is.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible but it would be better for Eurovan people to pro-actively use Eurovan in their title.

Only because I can see an issue of people picking the wrong thing.
I wish I could say it would be obvious what to pick and everything would be great if we did that but history shows that to not be true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit "report" on threads with vague titles and we'll fix them. (Just report the first post and say something like "please fix title" in the comments).

You aren't bothering us by hitting report, we rely on all site members who notice problems to help out. This site is huge and very active so things can inadvertently slip by us. Thank you!

If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the new Vanagon/Eurovan forum moderator, I'll do my best to fix all of those EV topic titles as I come across them. Wink

Also, I think it would be of great help if that forum had an FAQ sticky dedicated to the EVs. The current FAQ sticky is Vanagon-only. Not that people read through that one (if they did, we wouldn't have so many triplicate threads), but I think it would help the EV folks if they had an FAQ-type topic too. When I get a lot of free time, I'll start putting one together. And in the meantime, any of you EV folks that already have topics in mind for an FAQ, PM them to me.

(If ^that was already mentioned, my apologies. I read page 1, then skipped to page 4.)
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have told people to email me if they had entries for a Eurovan FAQ or links to things of interest.

No one contacted me.
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of us posting here are EV folks. We're Vanagon folks who keep seeing EV posts get 0-2 replies and then disappear forever onto the 200th page.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Eurovan people don't have an opinion or a problem, then there is no issue.

But that is not true - the guy who started this thread and posted a bunch on page 1 has a Eurovan.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Domo wrote:
Is it possible, seeing the lack of activity, that we could get the T4's and 5's their own forum?
I mean, the 4's and 5's are a separate beast all together.
I feel that T3's are marginalized enough, but they deserve to stand alone, like the T1's and 2's do.
If you look at the forum list, every vehicle has it's own category, with the exception of the Vanagon/ Eurovan forum.
Cheers!
Domo aka Nico

We have discussed this but the traffic was so low for 4/5s that it didn't make sense to split them off.

You can bring it up again here if you want but there is a 4-page discussion there
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513087

I have read all FOUR pages of this pissing contest. I have come up with an argument that seems to be missing.
Evolution. Pure and simple.
This forum page was started by Air Heads (no disrespect intended), for Air Heads. As more people joined and lent their knowledge to the site, the forums evolved to keep major subjects separate.
With the vast traffic on the V/E forum, it might be time to split the forums again.
True, there might not be much traffic for the new EV forum, YET.
But isn't that the way the Bay Window forum started? the Vanagon?

No, I do not have an EV. I am a tried and true T3 lover. I am positive the EV is proof that VW has no soul remaining.

Please split them. It is time. Give them the room to breathe, grow, thrive, and break down in their space.
Thank you.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record there is absolutely no source for Eurovan info on the internet. I just finished doin a head gasket on a 93 EV and finding info was a royal pain in the ass. I'm contemplating creating a page on my site called "Euro Moron" which would have all the eurovan info....

but a forum would be nice because it would be able to help more people

I talked to a few local shops and everyone was too scared to even quote me on doing the head gasket.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
For the record there is absolutely no source for Eurovan info on the internet. I just finished doin a head gasket on a 93 EV and finding info was a royal pain in the ass. I'm contemplating creating a page on my site called "Euro Moron" which would have all the eurovan info....

I talked to a few local shops and everyone was too scared to even quote me on doing the head gasket.

one of the reasons I no longer have a Eurovan is the dearth of information available to the shade-tree mechanic... and other than VW dealers themselves, very few mechanics will work on them....

we loved our Eurovan, but even getting our usual mechanic to do an oil-change when I needed one done and didn't have the time to do it myself was an ordeal...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhamham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo wrote:

I have read all FOUR pages of this pissing contest. I have come up with an argument that seems to be missing.
Evolution. Pure and simple.
This forum page was started by Air Heads (no disrespect intended), for Air Heads. As more people joined and lent their knowledge to the site, the forums evolved to keep major subjects separate.
With the vast traffic on the V/E forum, it might be time to split the forums again.
True, there might not be much traffic for the new EV forum, YET.
But isn't that the way the Bay Window forum started? the Vanagon?

No, I do not have an EV. I am a tried and true T3 lover. I am positive the EV is proof that VW has no soul remaining.

Please split them. It is time. Give them the room to breathe, grow, thrive, and break down in their space.
Thank you.

I agree... makes sense to me. If I were administering this site I'd want to be as inclusive as possible. Obviously, folks keep gnawing at this bone of contention. If EV people feel alienated b/c they're thrown in with the V crowd they're probably going elsewhere for info/chat like the T4/T5 forum, etc.

The poll seems meaningless to me as air-cooled guys probably don't give a toss and vote to keep things as they are. The decision is whether or not you want to keep driving the EV guys away - which IMO there's little info here on EVs.

I'm new, and while I understand Samba began as a air-cooled forum it's become much bigger. I'd continue to build on the larger community and give the EV guys their freedom, their independence, their own statehood... viva la libertad!
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted to a new thread before being directed to this thread. Sorry:

Arguments for a new Eurovan Forum:
1) There are a ton of aging T4/eurovans in North America. They are getting to the age where a lot of do-it-yourselfers are picking them up.

2) Seems odd to have discussion lumped together with T3/Vanagons when there is basically no overlap between the two vehicles (other than they are both vans.)

3) Eurovan owners may not register and/or post here because when they stumble on the Samba they basically see a Vanagon forum--even if it says "vanagon/eurovan" its clear via a quick glance at the list of threads that none of them are for eurovan issues, and when they search they probably find a handful of eurovan threads with 1-2 replies basically saying "sorry, don't know."

In conclusion:

Making a dedicated forum could bring a lot of eurovan enthusiasts out of the woodworks and get some really interesting and inovative discussion going about these unique vehicles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
If the Eurovan people don't have an opinion or a problem, then there is no issue.

But that is not true - the guy who started this thread and posted a bunch on page 1 has a Eurovan.

You need to attract Eurovan people first, and then you can poll their opinion. You won't attract Eurovan people with the forum set up as it is now.
Mobiltune
Samba Road Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line is people need to group together and help one another.

The guy who wanted to have a new forum... had little time here interacting with his peers....... while looking up the issues ("can't find any help with my Van") I came across this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488342 showing that having two groups, owning different types of vw's in one forum is beneficial to both.

below is a Search term/s phrase

"View topic eurovan site:thesamba.com"

let me duckduckgo that for you

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=View+topic+eurovan+site%3Athesamba.com

About 208,000 results (So says Google)

TheSamba.com :: View topic - Eurovan Syncro
Vanagon/Eurovan ... "Hello everyone , just joined Samba and got my first van I am in the process , just ..." · "Eurovans weren't available with any locking diffs IIRC. Vanagon syncros were available with or without locking front and rear diffs. The word in the herd is that the eurovan bodies ...
thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=543840

TheSamba.com :: View topic - eurovan reviews?
Vanagon/Eurovan ... "I'm considering getting a used Eurovan for the wifey. can anybody give me any info on ..." · "My '93 eurovan is an automatic, and I't's had problems with the auto transmission after about 100k miles. I feel this is an inherent weakness, and would be better to have a manual ...
thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53584

TheSamba.com :: View topic - Eurovan seats
Hmm, while I don't know.. lets take your posted subject line Eurovan seats and punch it into the SEARCH box at the top of this forum. disregard the 1st result in the list, it'll get you caught in an endless loop.. where you are pointed to use the search.. but then if you scroll down and read a ...
thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=532172

TheSamba.com :: View topic - Eurovan repair help / question
I have a 2002 Eurovan weekender that over-heated this weekend. News is not good. The cylinder head is warped and needs to be replaced. I had the van towed to a nearby VW dealership here in San Diego.
thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530705

No more results.
Try Google / Bing / More...

blankmange wrote:
Ian wrote:

one of the reasons I no longer have a Eurovan is the dearth of information available to the shade-tree mechanic... and other than VW dealers themselves, very few mechanics will work on them....

we loved our Eurovan, but even getting our usual mechanic to do an oil-change when I needed one done and didn't have the time to do it myself was an ordeal...

Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first came to The Samba and would read posts on Vanagons, Syncros and Dokas - as I was researching a purchase and getting into the van life. And I loved the sense of comradery that was in the Vanagon/Eurovan forum. Lots of great story telling, advice and enough self depreciating humor to keep me reading and reading for years -- despite not having a van in my stable.

Now as EV owner -- I can see why people might want a separate forum. It's not so much difficult to find EV content - but the act of discovering it by seeing the thread title is lost. As was stated already - eV posts fly off the page so quickly -- that you'd think there is no EV traffic at all. But - there are lots of EV threads that are strong, and more will come as well.

Vortex posts seem pre-occupied with people looking for short fixes to their problem. EV-Upate -- is a very difficult thread to get used to... and so I think the samba sets the bar very high for community and entertaining reading. So to that point - thank you air-cooled people for establishing that culture. It would be nice to see if that culture can be allowed to grow in it's own forum for EVs/T4s. I

I found this thread by link within another thread - asking this very question of separate forums. It seemed frowned upon to discuss it there it that forum -- so I 've come here to cast my vote. It might interesting to see how many more users of Vanagon/Eurovan discussion thread would cast a vote on this topic -- if the topic were allowed to be generated inside that forum (where those users probably congregate the most).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: