Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowlight on Mendeola IRS chassis w/ WRX STI?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Lowlight on Mendeola IRS chassis w/ WRX STI? Reply with quote

Ok.. So I'm fortunate enough to consider building what I think will be the coolest, most fun, sleeper car in my state (well, maybe my county)..

I'm thinking about cobbling together the following:

1. A lowlight body.
2. A donor ghia with IRS chassis.
3. Having Mendeola suspension added.
4. and dropping an EJ motor from Raby Engine Development..
(I'm waiting on Jake Raby to get his Subaru legs under him. Smile )

What do I need to look out for in this configuration? Will a lowlight fit ok on the '69 and up Ghias?

Not sure if anyone can answer this question, but has anyone put an Subaru motor *with Subaru transmission* on a chassis with Mendeola rear IRS setup?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have a fat bank roll.

Please update this topic as it progresses. I'd love to see some detailed pictures.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 1 post, it seems unlikely this will come together, but if you prove me wrong, ill you will indeed have a very one of a kind combo. Goodluck......
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lurking a long ass time, trying to figure out what's what. It seems at this point the most expensive areas will be the Mendeola work and the motor/tranny setup.

I've been known to be overly optimistic though.. but once I get something in my head it usually happens..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can incorporate the massive radiator/intercooler/oil cooler requirement without monumentally spoiling the looks of the car, you'll be a hero around here.

Personally, I'd rather have a Porsche.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight on Mendeola IRS chassis w/ WRX STI? Reply with quote

noslzzp wrote:

4. and dropping an EJ motor from Raby Engine Development..
(I'm waiting on Jake Raby to get his Subaru legs under him. Smile )

We have three builds underway now. I have been accepting builds for my JR25, JR26 and JR28 engines for several months now. I am being very selective about the jobs we accept at the present time, but you might want to set up a chat to see if your build is appealing to us.

Sign up for our Suby newsletter, I plan on releasing the first real public announcements next week in the newsletter to include pics, dyno results, head flow discoveries and conversion details.

It certainly is not a "cheap" endeavor like the other alternatives that use a junkyard engine adapted into a VW.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cefolar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight on Mendeola IRS chassis w/ WRX STI? Reply with quote

noslzzp wrote:

Not sure if anyone can answer this question, but has anyone put an Subaru motor *with Subaru transmission* on a chassis with Mendeola rear IRS setup?

Not sure I can answer it, but I thought the desert guys had been doing this setup for some time. Might check with FAT Performance - - or of course Jake.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are installing Suby trannys as standard now and have the exclusive North American connection with Subaru Gears. I am installing a Suby tranny into a 74 Bus now and also a 73 Super and developing the components to BOLT IN these units to all ACVW applications simply and easily.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
If you can incorporate the massive radiator/intercooler/oil cooler requirement without monumentally spoiling the looks of the car, you'll be a hero around here.

Personally, I'd rather have a Porsche.

That's my plan. I've owned a 911 and it's a great car but I want something unique. Plus the 911 is ridiculously expensive to maintain.

I had originally considered an EJ motor but after some conversations I think I'm going with the EZ30.
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
We are installing Suby trannys as standard now and have the exclusive North American connection with Subaru Gears. I am installing a Suby tranny into a 74 Bus now and also a 73 Super and developing the components to BOLT IN these units to all ACVW applications simply and easily.

yeah but have you reversed the shift pattern? Wink

Jake, have you worked with the EZ3.0?
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not working with any of the engines "as factory" we are reconfiguring every one of them and making them our own recipe, to include the 30 series.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noslzzp wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

yeah but have you reversed the shift pattern?

Why would anyone want a backwards shift pattern?

A Subey trans mounted in the rear of a VW will have a normal shift pattern using any VW shifter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is pretty cool. A Suby drivetrain in a vintage VW would be awesome.

I bought my first Suby last year - a new Tribecca with the 3.6 H6 Engine. Its a great car. Love the engine. I have quickly become a fan of Subaru products.
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a slight change in the methodology here:

1. Lowlight body.
2. Medeola rolling chassis (they can provide the donor pan/frame).
3. EZ30 motor, naturally aspirated slightly modded, JDM sourced.
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
noslzzp wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

A Subey trans mounted in the rear of a VW will have a normal shift pattern using any VW shifter.

If you take a forward facing engine/tranny combo and "flip it" around, won't the gear pattern be flipped? Example:

Normal pattern:
Code:

1 3 5
|-|-|
2 4 R

A flipped pattern:
Code:

R 4 2
|-|-|
5 3 1

If this is confirmed, a reverse pinion gear will make the wheels turn the right way, but it will not fix the issue above.
jyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Sounds cool! Reply with quote

This is getting very interesting, i have 4 cabrios, and 2 of them are with irs. And adapting a sti wrx engine would be a pretty interesting thing. Have to try to google more info, especially what it needs to put in a vw box, or how to fit a sub-trans in a irs pan. My "ugly ducling" would be a great test bench. Smile

Jyri / http://volkswanker.blogspot.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And adapting a sti wrx engine would be a pretty interesting thing.

But what if no "adaptation" was necessary and it just bolted in, to include the cooling system, EFI system and ancillaries?

DONE!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noslzzp wrote:
Bruce wrote:
noslzzp wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

If you take a forward facing engine/tranny combo and "flip it" around, won't the gear pattern be flipped? Example:

Normal pattern:
Code:

1 3 5
|-|-|
2 4 R

A flipped pattern:
Code:

R 4 2
|-|-|
5 3 1

If this is confirmed, a reverse pinion gear will make the wheels turn the right way, but it will not fix the issue above.

It might do that if you only looked at the gearbox. But Mr VW must have had some foresight to think that one day some crazy guys from down-under might want to put a Subey gearbox in their Bugs, so Mr. VW designed the shifter to reverse the pattern.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Quote:

But what if no "adaptation" was necessary and it just bolted in, to include the cooling system, EFI system and ancillaries?

DONE!

heh, have to read all the things in your site. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyrie wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:
Quote:

DONE!

heh, have to read all the things in your site. Smile

The site doesn't hold any information at the present concerning the Suby transplants.. I have not published any of the pages as of yet.

We are more concerned with effectiveness than sales at the present and want to have a fully developed line before any of the material is presented for public consumption and sales.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: