Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowlight on Mendeola IRS chassis w/ WRX STI?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubulup wrote:
these motors have one of the sickest exhaust notes...the exhaust work looks amazing! Glad to see resonators in there. Can't wait to hear this thing fired up!

I agree. This is what really sold me on going with the EZ30R. Most people are putting in the EJ series 4-cylinders, but that rumble rumble of the motor is all too familiar. I also didn't want to go turbo for the targeted power range.

I can't wait until it fires up either!!

Hopefully we can get some video of it and the sound. Kevin is working on the fuel tank now. The one I sent from my parts '58 had some holes in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
So how much design and fabrication is being done by mendeola (will they be doing the body work as well)? Some day I want to do a custom restore on my ghia but there are a few technical design elements that I'm not sure who I would turn to.

Kevin Zagar is doing all the design and fab work on top of a standard "off the shelf" full Mendeola chassis. Some elements like cooling, Subaru transmission integration, etc are his ideas. The overall vision/design is mine (performance goals, concept, motor, chassis and low light). Kevin is executing on that vision very well.

The technical design elements would be a great fit for him.

For body work, I'm shipping the car back to the east coast (Northen Va).

ivwshane wrote:
The car is looking sweet by the way!

Thanks! Like dubulup, I can't wait to hear it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Noel62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noslzzp wrote:
a comparison to other new cars in the same (or less) performance range. When you add the uniqueness of this car to the performance, the stupid grin makes it all worthwhile. . Smile

reading this build thread this morning inspired me to get out to the shed and kick on with our resto of the wifes 67 RHD ghia. Having sat down at the end of the day with a glass of wine to read some more... read that comment.. hah..laugh..wine doesnt taste as good when it comes back through the nostrils...
brilliant .!!
1ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's up with the build? I want to hear and see that thing run! I also would like to know if you are taking orders? I'll be sending my 69 your way when I hit the lotto. Lol any idea on what this would cost a customer? It's crazy but I love it!
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1ghia wrote:
So what's up with the build? I want to hear and see that thing run! I also would like to know if you are taking orders? I'll be sending my 69 your way when I hit the lotto. Lol any idea on what this would cost a customer? It's crazy but I love it!

The company jet-coating the exhaust dropped it and scratched it up. They are redoing it now.

As far as orders, not sure yet. We're focused on getting this one fully up and running first. The good thing is that later cars will be much easier/faster to build, if we decide to go that route.
dubulup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates?
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubulup wrote:
Updates?

Kevin is working on the final three systems. Says he's 50% done. Unfortunately, no solid ETA.
herkster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final three systems would be which? Cooling one of them? I'm really interested to see if it cools
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

herkster wrote:
Final three systems would be which? Cooling one of them? I'm really interested to see if it cools

The cooling system is built minus heater integration. Kevin is worked on getting the other supporting systems (fuel lines and ECU wiring) going so that we can get the car running. Once running, we can test the cooling.
dubulup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubulup wrote:
more?

Kevin from coolrides says they are finishing up another car and then this one will get full attention;)
coolrydes Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually currently finishing it.. Fluids are in systems are being blead and checked for leaks, and we are getting close to our first drive stay tuned....

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubulup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the ride???
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the car. Awesome to see such quality engineering and fab taking the idea from concept to implementation. That said, I'm curious what approach you decided to take in the end with the ECU. Thought I read in other posts and/or on your build site that owing to the required support for AVCS, the initial setup was going to be with a factory ECU pending integration of an AEM unit which was "in beta". I was wondering what setup made the cut for the final installation. I'm in the planning stages of a EZ30R-powered KG and have looked at using a factory ECU with and AEM F/IC, but getting a set of factory pieces that will work with the EZ30R and 5MT trans in a custom chassis seems like more of a hassle than its worth. I was thinking that the AEM Infinity stand alone might be the better choice and was wondering if this is what you decided to go forward with. My other thought is the Link G4. Any info that either you or Kevin or whomever you might still be working with at Outfront can provide would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

KGKrzy
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGKrzy wrote:
Love the car. Awesome to see such quality engineering and fab taking the idea from concept to implementation. That said, I'm curious what approach you decided to take in the end with the ECU. Thought I read in other posts and/or on your build site that owing to the required support for AVCS, the initial setup was going to be with a factory ECU pending integration of an AEM unit which was "in beta". I was wondering what setup made the cut for the final installation. I'm in the planning stages of a EZ30R-powered KG and have looked at using a factory ECU with and AEM F/IC, but getting a set of factory pieces that will work with the EZ30R and 5MT trans in a custom chassis seems like more of a hassle than its worth. I was thinking that the AEM Infinity stand alone might be the better choice and was wondering if this is what you decided to go forward with. My other thought is the Link G4. Any info that either you or Kevin or whomever you might still be working with at Outfront can provide would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.
KGKrzy

So you have a few options. We went with the Redline ECU because they make a plug and play harness specific to the EZ30 motors. But, Kevin is working with Redline to get a custom map built that supports the stock Subaru trigger wheel (I'll write up a post about this soon). On the other EZ30 builds, the evenly spaced non-stock trigger wheel from Outfront was used with the Red Line ECU. Maps already exist that take the EZ30R to about 330HP with that wheel. In all cases AVCS will be fully supported. You can't get to 330 without it. The pre-built, engine specific harness is a huge selling point.

We just got back the first round of programming and Kevin is testing it now. This is plan A - to work out this newer config with the stock Subie wheel. Plan B is to just buy the Outfront wheel and punt to the known ECU mapping.

Last edited by noslzzp on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
coolrydes Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll we got it to start and run for a few seconds a few times, but are having troubles getting it to stay running. I'm back on it Monday with a few other things to try, and possibly back to the drawing board for the software engineer.

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress yesterday. The engine is running and sounds absolutely incredible! We have some trigger wheel sync issues to work out though. Again, this is due to our decision to use the stock Subaru trigger wheel.

Kevin and Redline have done an awesome job here. So if anyone else is interested in this ECU combo just know that an EZ30R plug and play option (harness, ECU, maps) will soon be available. Data logging is now available now as well. Smile

At last:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fjt3cUpVY

Last edited by noslzzp on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
d5626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I heard that coming It would get my attention. Sounds great.
dubulup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WANT IT!

I've been waiting so long to hear that! incredible is very accurate!
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fjt3cUpVY

dubulup wrote:
I WANT IT!

me too!

I smile every time I hear Kevin laugh at the end of that video. Priceless! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: