Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California black plate license plate
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsrkar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: California black plate license plate Reply with quote

I have a Porsche Speedster that I purchased in 1983 in San Francisco. The Black plate with yellow letters and numbers was LUX 701. Can anyone tell me how I can get information regarding past owners of the car, I know the car was purchased in Del Mar, Ca in around 1975 from the owner I purchased the car from. He bought it on a used car lot and can not give any information about the car's earlier history. The car was a factory 1957 black Speedster with chassis number 83592 and engine number 66320. The car was actually titled under the engine number when I purchased it.

Thanks for any help
William Crowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried this:

http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/
doublecabmel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: plate Reply with quote

I don't think L was from 1957. I think it is more like 1960. It's possible that those weren't the original plates, or maybe those were the plates given to the car after it was reregistered. Maybe it came from out of state. Either way there are pretty much period correct. You can also personalize new ones and then paint them black and yellow- the new trend
356JAEGER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your plates would have been reissued to the car in 1962 when the black on yellow plates were recalled and replaced by the yellow on black that you currently have. Ownership history is difficult because of privacy issues. Kind of like an orphan looking for birth parents.

When in doubt, think about it..
The outcome of a project is directly proportional to its preparation.
Barry Brisco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: California black plate license plate Reply with quote

wsrkar wrote:
I have a Porsche Speedster that I purchased in 1983 in San Francisco. The Black plate with yellow letters and numbers was LUX 701. Can anyone tell me how I can get information regarding past owners of the car...

Hello (your name?),

As Joel has pointed out, those plates are not the original plates issued to your car in 1957. See http://porsche356registry.org/resources/tech-artic...lates.html

Quote:
In January 1963, the state changed back to a "black/yellow" plate style (black background with yellow letters) and did a complete reissue of plates to all CA registered vehicles. All old plates had to be turned in by years end in exchange for the new black/yellow plates. This new plate style was used through 1968, and always had the year "63" stamped in the upper right corner no matter what year it was issued. Every year, owners received a new year sticker when they paid their vehicle registration fees.

Hopefully someone who knows something about the car will read your post and contact you.

wsrkar wrote:
The car was actually titled under the engine number when I purchased it.

That was often done in those days. I assume when you registered the car the DMV used the Porsche chassis serial number.

Good luck in your search,
1959 356A coupe #105553
1959 356A Convertible D #86439 (sold)
1964 356C coupe #216966 (sold)
2009 Porsche Cayman (daily driver)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wsrkar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is registered with the 356 Registry.

California did have the car titled under the engine number until 1983 when I purchased it. The DMV told me titling a car by engine number stopped in 1956. Obviously some DMV clerk did not get the message since this 1957 car was titled using the engine number and not the chassis number 83592.

The car is titled by chassis number now and is in Florida and no longer in California.
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.wsrkar:

The Trusty Coupe was also registered with its engine no. in '57 (for black plate tags), so I believe the clerk was mildly mistaken.

Getting this situation rectified (in Calif.) was doable albeit with just enough inconvenience to test one's determination.

S.J.Szabo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: