Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 FI Squareback: The Continuing (Mis)Adventures
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 144, 145, 146  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
D/A/N wrote:
The thunk seems to come from whatever part of the box the drop arm attaches to (output shaft?). When turning the steering column by hand, that part of the box has slight up and down (or in and out of the box) movement before moving left to right as it should. We already adjusted the box 3 months ago (17mm nut and set screw) and I'm thinking that we should start over with a new or rebuilt box since no "good" box should need adjustment every 3 months.

The screw/17mm adjustment is the second to check. Did you check for play by tightening the large locknut and turning the large 12pt plug? In/out movement should be taken up by that adjustment first. In fact, I'd loosen the set screw adjustment a bit, tighten up the end plug, then re-adjust the screw. The latter is done with the wheels off the ground and the steering wheel turned 90 degrees from straight ahead.

By the way, you have to ensure the steering input shaft (connected to the steering wheel) is centered before doing ANY adjustments.

Oh.....I always thought that other adjustment was for in and out play at the input/column end. I guess I'm too literal....Bentley just shows the top portion in the steering box play diagram and adjustment description. Looks like we've got a use for that busted up brake switch that just got replaced!

I'm fairly sure the steering wheel isn't on straight ever since we had it on and off when replacing the dash pad. Do these new TRW boxes have a center line mark on them like stock so we can line everything up? I did the other adjustment with the gas tank in so I haven't really seen the box in full.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:

Oh.....I always thought that other adjustment was for in and out play at the input/column end. I guess I'm too literal....Bentley just shows the top portion in the steering box play diagram and adjustment description. Looks like we've got a use for that busted up brake switch that just got replaced!

I'm fairly sure the steering wheel isn't on straight ever since we had it on and off when replacing the dash pad. Do these new TRW boxes have a center line mark on them like stock so we can line everything up? I did the other adjustment with the gas tank in so I haven't really seen the box in full.

You are right about the axial play adjustment being done on the input shaft, but since the "gears" mesh inside it can also affect the output shaft. It's worth a shot before buying a new box.

From memory, I thought my new TRW box had the mark or collar, but this was 7-8 years ago.
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't gotten to adjust the steering box yet as a host of other little issues have suddenly piled up. Even after a bad brake switch and an upcoming steering box adjustment, the car still feels neglected and we're back with a list of misadventures:

1) On Friday, a few hours before we were supposed to go away, the key broke off in the ignition. Ultimately, AAA sent us a locksmith and he had the broken part out in under a minute. Of course that was after I spent an hour or so trying to fish it out with paperclips and whatnot but at least it was fixed. It seems like the reason it broke is that there's now some "stickiness" in the lock cylinder. Since Friday, it sometimes takes up to a minute of fiddling with the key to be able to turn it to the on position. We tried spraying some WD-40 into the cylinder but it had no effect. I'm thinking I'll replace the lock cylinder. I have a lead on a NOS German one, but I want to confirm that this is the correct part # 113-905-853. Anyone with a parts manual out there?

Drove 120 miles on Saturday without issue. Sunday morning was a different story and a series of issues.

2) Generator light is coming on at idle, though not all the time. Drove maybe 10 minutes yesterday morning and when I came to a stop sign the gen. light started flickering. It went away at higher RPM's. By the time we parked a few minutes later it was on more or less solidly at idle. Before we went hiking, the battery read around 12.5 at idle and when revved it would climb up to 14.2 or so. Got a reading of 12.4 once the car was off. When we got back about 4 hours later, the battery was up to 12.8V so I stopped worrying though I did think it odd that voltage climbed while just sitting there. We drove about 50 miles to a rest stop. When we started it up, the gen light came on and flickered through the parking lot. Drove another 40 miles or so and then it flickered and/or glowed through traffic until we had another highway run. It came back on after getting off the highway and we were driving across Manhattan in local traffic. Drove over a bridge and then local roads to home and the light didn't come on at all. Battery read b/w 12.5 and 12.8 at idle and climbed to over 14 when revved. With headlights on at idle the battery voltage kept dropping and dropping.....I stopped taking readings at 12.3 but the light didn't come back on.

I'm not finding any smoking gun here as the light will come on regardless of whether accessories are on. Generally, it waits until the engine is warm but even then it doesn't always come on. We've got a 2 yr old solid state Bosch regulator. All the connections are tight and the regulator is tight to the body. Nothing loose on generator and at least the top brush is fine. I didn't turn it over to look at the other.

Run Bentley tests and look for weak link? Problem is that the light doesn't come on reliably or at "convenient" times so I'm not necessarily ready to run tests when it happens. I figure that if I test while the light isn't coming on, I won't find anything. What to do?

3) The speedo started squealing like a maniac again. Last time was back in the spring and we lubed the cable and the speedo which fixed it. Tried that again but nothing doing....still squealed. This time, I'd already taken the e-clip off at the wheel so when it started making noise, we pulled the cable out of the hub into the car. Oddly, the more we pulled it in, the quieter it got. Now, the cable is now so far into the car and bent at such an angle that it hits my knee while operating the clutch. However, it works perfectly! No more noise and the needle isn't bouncing as it has been forever. It's not a long-term solution though because the cable is irritatingly in the way. I figure the speedometer and/or the cable don't generally require re-lubrication every 6 months so either one or both of them is crapping out. Seems obvious that it's a bad cable, but I wonder if I'm overlooking something? Overnight, it got down to 14* where we were and didn't get above 35* until we were close to home so I thought maybe the cold was having fun with the cable or the lubricant.

4) Just for fun, the exhaust started popping again when letting off the throttle.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 69, isn't the lock cylinder and the electrical portion two different pieces? If so, you should be able to pop out (clipped in) the lock cylinder and clean it-there isn't much to it unless you've got bent pins internally.

The part number is correct, per my book, btw.

Electrical gremlins are a bitch...I've got nothing for you there, unfortunately, as I'm like Bugs Bunny and the gremlin when it comes to electrical issues.
http://youtu.be/0GuX0NEfxiw?t=2m0s

Which part number did you use for a speedo cable? I have found that there are three or four listed as correct while only one is close to the correct length.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
On the 69, isn't the lock cylinder and the electrical portion two different pieces? If so, you should be able to pop out (clipped in) the lock cylinder and clean it-there isn't much to it unless you've got bent pins internally.

The part number is correct, per my book, btw.

Electrical gremlins are a bitch...I've got nothing for you there, unfortunately, as I'm like Bugs Bunny and the gremlin when it comes to electrical issues.
http://youtu.be/0GuX0NEfxiw?t=2m0s

Which part number did you use for a speedo cable? I have found that there are three or four listed as correct while only one is close to the correct length.

Yup, clipped in, and should have a tiny screw holding the 2 together (lock cylinder and electrical switch). I'd pull it out, and clean it up, then use some silicone spray to lube it.

You might want to look at adding a good ground to the regulator, and checking the other brush. I'll defer to Tram on any other ideas to your problem. Wink

As for the speedo cable, I think the last 1 I bought was for a bug (made in Italy), but it's been at least 10 years since I've bought 1 (for my Notch). They don't go bad unless it's not adjusted correctly.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll remove and clean the lock cylinder before going and buying another one.

In terms of the generator light....I'm vexed. 20 miles of driving so far today and no light. 12.5V before first cold start of the day and 14 at idle just before parking after driving around in the rain with the wipers and headlights on. 12.8 upon returning to the car after a 30 minute errand. I feel like I might as well not even bother taking readings until it acts up again. Assuming it does.

As for the speedo cable....I've never replaced it. For all I know, this is the OG part. I have a replacement at home and can look at the part # later. Just for fun, here's what the bend looks like

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll remove and clean the lock cylinder before going and buying another one.

In terms of the generator light....I'm vexed. 20 miles of driving so far today and no light. 12.5V before first cold start of the day and 14 at idle just before parking after driving around in the rain with the wipers and headlights on. 12.8 upon returning to the car after a 30 minute errand. I feel like I might as well not even bother taking readings until it acts up again. Assuming it does.

As for the speedo cable....I've never replaced it. For all I know, this is the OG part. I have a replacement at home and can look at the part # later. Just for fun, here's what the bend looks like

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The speedo cable looks a lot like the wrong one.

I've only been able to get the GEMO brand to work properly. It took me a few cables before I found the right size-given that they were all marketed as OEM/correct parts. The GEMO is the only one that fit without the jump rope in at my feet (like you have). The COFLE branded cables were marked wrong and/or had quality issues.

ISPWest has the correct speedo cable-it's about $20.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

I've only been able to get the GEMO brand to work properly. It took me a few cables before I found the right size-given that they were all marketed as OEM/correct parts. The GEMO is the only one that fit without the jump rope in at my feet (like you have). The COFLE branded cables were marked wrong and/or had quality issues.

The one I have here at home is COFLE.....part # 141957801C but I'm not going to use it if you say it's junk. Just for clarification, it's this one from ISP, yeah? It has the same part # but doesn't specify a brand

http://www.vwispwest.com/141957801C.html
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

The one I have here at home is COFLE.....part # 141957801C but I'm not going to use it if you say it's junk. Just for clarification, it's this one from ISP, yeah? It has the same part # but doesn't specify a brand

http://www.vwispwest.com/141957801C.html

I won't say they're all junk-just the ones that I bought. Who knows maybe you'll have better luck with them.

You'd have to call ISP to confirm they're still selling the GEMO cables if it's not listed on their site. The only other place I know that has them is WagenWerks. http://www.wagen-werks.com/speedometer-cable-type-3-1962-to-1973/
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after having 0 generator light issues on Monday and yesterday, it suddenly came on again today one block from home after driving 10 miles from work. Nothing was different about how I drove yesterday or today. Same roads, same traffic, same accessories on. When I parked, it was idling kind of crummy and I heard a slight whining noise in the cabin which turned out to be coming from the generator. Voltage at the battery at idle was only 13. Not sure what to do next as this is such an intermittent problem. I almost wonder if using the heater booster fan is sometimes draining the battery and fudging up the charging system. Or if the charging system is fudged which is allowing the fan to drain the battery. Or something. Mad
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flickering generator light is a known quirk for VW's & is not worth worrying about. Manual transmissions with their low idle speeds contribute to it. The booster fan could do it too? Remember it is 45 year old technology & will never run as smooth as our new cars. Don't fret unless it won't start. Relax a little and enjoy the Adventure! Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
Well, after having 0 generator light issues on Monday and yesterday, it suddenly came on again today one block from home after driving 10 miles from work. Nothing was different about how I drove yesterday or today. Same roads, same traffic, same accessories on. When I parked, it was idling kind of crummy and I heard a slight whining noise in the cabin which turned out to be coming from the generator. Voltage at the battery at idle was only 13. Not sure what to do next as this is such an intermittent problem. I almost wonder if using the heater booster fan is sometimes draining the battery and fudging up the charging system. Or if the charging system is fudged which is allowing the fan to drain the battery. Or something. Mad

The fan could be pulling more amps with the various electrical items on. That could cause the drain you're looking at/seeing.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding your generator light.

I did an analysis of the current demands on my '70 with various electrical items turned on. On my car, with the stock 30A generator, I found there was only a 3A (10%) margin of generating capacity as the car demanded 27A at full electrical load. My findings are that the generator was very closely sized to the electrical demands of the car in its stock configuration. If you have non stock items which place additional electrical demands, coupled with any inefficiencies in the 40 year old wiring, you may easily exceed the capacity of the generator.

You could verify this quite easily by measuring the current output at the generator with a small meter or gauge while you drive the car. This way you could see how the generator is coping with the electrical demands. From there you could continue your analysis to identify and prioritize your current draws or losses and then look for ways to increase the electrical efficiency at those points.
Tram
Samba Socialist

Location: Still Feelin' the Bern- Once you've felt it you can't un- feel it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
D/A/N wrote:

The fan could be pulling more amps with the various electrical items on. That could cause the drain you're looking at/seeing.

You'd think that if that were the case, though, the M code for that BN setup would include a heavier duty generator. HOWEVER- if the generator is worn, this could suddenly be a problem.

Bryan67 wrote:
Just my hands. And a little lube. No tools.

To best contact me, please use the EMAIL function in my profile
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
D/A/N wrote:

You'd think that if that were the case, though, the M code for that BN setup would include a heavier duty generator. HOWEVER- if the generator is worn, this could suddenly be a problem.

Well, that's certainly possible. The extra blower motor could also be worn enough that it's drawing just the few extra amps to kick the light on too (when the temps are cool/cold). I'm not saying it's the problem, but it could be.
I also suggested that Dan check the lower generator brush, as he said he hadn't checked it. That can also cause the light to come on under load, if it's not seated on the armature. Again, I'm not saying it's the cause, but rather another place to check. Wink

Electrical gremlins seem to pop up more with cold weather, especially when you're using the lights and wipers more often than normal. If the system is already close electrically, the extra load(s) can cause the warning light to come on.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't use the blower at all today and the generator light still came on 25 minutes into my drive home. This at least establishes the conditions under which it comes on (when it does come on): nighttime, at idle, warm engine, headlights on. During daytime driving, no light at all and I've even cupped my hands over the fuel gauge while idling at stoplights to see if it comes on. Does this point to me investigating any one particular component over another?
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue you may be having as bobnotch said is the cold & various items being on or not. Remember old cars have issues & with the crap we put on the roads & for the most part non recycled metals in old cars we will have issues. I would start with cleaning all grounding points & putting a little lube on them. Daunting task, but it may help.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
Well, I didn't use the blower at all today and the generator light still came on 25 minutes into my drive home. This at least establishes the conditions under which it comes on (when it does come on): nighttime, at idle, warm engine, headlights on. Does this point to me investigating any one particular component over another?

Did you swap out the headlights for halogens? Just asking, as they can draw more amps than the stock sealed beams. I know it's a reach, but we need to start somewhere. Wink

We can't go off of last year, as you really weren't driving it much then (and when you were, you were fixing things). Rolling Eyes
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have H4 headlights but those have been in for well over a year. We drove the car all over OR and WA last year at holiday time with those lights, the blower, etc. without incident but it's true that we don't have a very long sample period since by the time the car came back east, it was already mid-April.

To throw another wrench in the works, the light came on this morning on my way to work and I was using zero accessories. It started coming on during the high idle phase of warmup but went away when driving in any gear. Once I was on the highway, the light would come on if I dipped below 45mph. To make it just a little more annoying, the light went off during the last 1/3 of my drive and never came back, even at idle. Go figure. This weekend I'll be able to check out both brushes and look at various grounds and connectors, but it would help to know if what I'm describing points in any particular direction or not.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the belt too loose?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 144, 145, 146  Next
Jump to:
Page 75 of 146

Jump to: